Re: Marvel Movies discussion thread

I honestly don't even see Benedict Cumberbatch. All I see is the Sorcerer Supreme.

You might have guessed that I'm a big Doctor Strange fan...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Cool. I wasn't sure if he would work for Dr. strange but it looks pretty good.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

I haven't been a Marvel fan for very long and have only just started watching the films in the last few weeks. I've become a real fan of Iron Man, Captain America and the rest of the Avengers, and I am currently enjoying the X-Men franchise, but Deadpool looks absolutely terrible. The trailer says it all for me, bad, unfunny jokes, strong language, sexual violence and just too gory. And on top of this all, he's not even a hero! Why would I want to watch a whole movie about this character, a character I really couldn't care about. The whole thing is very un-Marvel! I won't bother watching this one!

I agree with you on Deadpool. I think this movie really goes to show the difference in philosophy between Fox and the Disney owned Marvel Studios.

Galactic Films wrote:

I agree with you on Deadpool. I think this movie really goes to show the difference in philosophy between Fox and the Disney owned Marvel Studios.

I see no difference at all. In my opinion, Deadpool seems to be just like the Disney MCU, only "harder." Either way, I probably won't watch it; which is sad since Deadpool is one of my favorite Marvel characters. I think a lot rides on this movie, though.

If it fails - this is a big hit for superhero films in general. They weren't really able to push Ant Man in theaters, and, now, a second under-preforming flick could make the studios think twice about what to release next.

If it succeeds - I think Disney will take this as a sign that comic fans want darker and more R-rated stories. I can foresee, if this was a very high grossing film, other MCU editions take on an 'R' rating as well (hopefully through Touchstone Pictures) ...

Fingers crossed Deadpool will flop... I'd like to see Disney in particular get more focused on making great experiences again. The MCU didn't start off too shabby, but, I'd love to see it refreshed.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Ant Man didn't under perform. If it did, why is there a sequel on the way?

Marvel tells R rated stories already with Daredevil and Jessica Jones so far.

Deadpool flopping is not likely.

Well, if Marvel decides that they want to make more R-rated movies, I probably won't watch them anymore.

William Osborne wrote:

...on top of this all, he's not even a hero! Why would I want to watch a whole movie about this character, a character I really couldn't care about

His character is called an anti-hero, a very popular character type these days. I think Deadpool is going to do just fine.

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (January 28, 2016 (01:15pm))

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

I love the concept of Deadpool, an irresponsible person with super powers who just runs around doing whatever he wants and annoying everyone, but I can't tell yet if I'll like the execution, only time will tell.

I do think this is a pretty good time for it to come out though, with all the super hero movies feeling similar, its nice to see this and Suicide Squad bringing a different dynamic to the table, even if they don't turn out great.

I doubt Deadpool will flop. I don't know why he has to be so crass and dirty. Why can't a wise cracking anti-hero just be clean and still funny?

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Tony Stark may not be an anti hero, but he has a sense of humour, without being so outrageously bad.

@Smocktopus They can, they choose not to.
@William Osborne Money

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

William Osborne wrote:

Well, if Marvel decides that they want to make more R-rated movies, I probably won't watch them anymore.

Good, I can put my popcorn box on your seat, then.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

Again, as I have mentioned earlier, I have become quite an X-men and have liked every single one of them (yes, even Origins). But I am concerned about the latest trailer for Apocalypse. Are they trying to say that Apocalypse is God? I really think it seems unlikely that with the other films being respectable of religion and now after years of an ever growing fan-base (both religious and non-religious) that they would make a film so controversial, and it also seems quite un-Marvel, who usually try and stay pretty neutral about such issues. I really do hope they are not trying to imply that God is a mutant. What is your opinion on this? Do you really think they would change their philosophy so drastically?

Within the fictional universe I think that is exactly what they are implying. I was taken a back when I noticed that in the trailer as well. I think the Fox owed X-Men franchise is trying to explain God in their films in a similar way Disney and Marvel Studios have for Nors mythology. Basically saying that the reason primitive man worshiped these beings is because they couldn't understand their power. But the difference in the two is that Nors mythology is universally considered to be not true and thus it works for most in a fictional setting. Where as taking modern religions like Christianity and trying to explain them the same way doesn't work so well since millions (including myself) still believe in that faith.

One other difference is that Marvel Studious have explicitly stated that Thor and the other "gods" are in fact not gods in the Marvel universe. But I'm still unsure whether Apocalypse is meant to be the same or in fact be God in the film.

PSA: The X-Men and Deadpool movies are by 20th Century Fox as part of a deal licensing those characters to them a long time ago, and are not made by Marvel Studios or part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

For anyone a little confused, in the comics Apocalypse gets a lot of his non-mutant powers (and his funky armour) from the Celestials, a race of space-gods who sort of oversee different aspects of universal progression. Specifically, he gets his power from the Celestial Gardener. However, I believe those rights lie with Marvel Studios, and also it would be quite a step to go from their earth-bound canon to space-gods without an introduction to aliens on a smaller scale in-between. Where I say space-gods, I should also point out that within the comics, there is one true god called the One-Above-All, generally considered to be the Judeo-Christian, monotheistic god worshipped by a vast chunk of Marvel's audience. They're never oblique about it, but the imagery is there; he/she is god, but on an omniversal scale, and so you have a sort of heirachy of belief systems that operate underneath.

Anyhow, I digress. As I was saying, in the comics Apocalypse's backstory is more complicated, however the implication is that he assumed the role of various Kemetic deities (which the post-credits scene from DofP and the new movie's trailer suggest the filmmakers have chosen to keep), and though they never outright connect him to other, more widely-practiced religions, there's a lot of biblical imagery. I'd actually be disappointed if they left out the latter, particularly considering the aspect of the Four Horsemen which is so deeply ingrained in X-Men mythology.

Apocalypse isn't just a mutant either. He's a king, an emperor, and he has a reputation to uphold. So whether he actually is a religious figure or not may irrelevant, because he could be bluffing. He could be appropriating the names of feared, powerful gods, and their imagery, in order to make himself seem more enigmatic, more powerful, and to really give his enemies something to fear (bear in mind that at the time when he was first active, the general population were highly superstitious).

And what's to say that, as the first mutant, and one of great power, he doesn't genuinely believe that he is a god made flesh?

But above all, bear in mind that the filmmakers have the same right to express their beliefs as you do, and they may not be Christian. While in terms of publicity it may not be smart, in terms of story it makes a lot of sense. So far, the X-Men universe is a secular, science fiction universe (I don't mean none of the characters are religious, I mean that the laws of this world are governed by science and not belief, the supernatural, or religious philosophy), so there's no reason for a group of agnostic or atheist filmmakers to not treat Christianity the same way as Kemeticism or folk religion. I have no idea whether the filmmakers are, but bear it in mind that they might be religious, they might not, and either way they're perfectly free to use their personal philosophies to inform the stories they want to tell.

What I'm trying to say is that there are a bunch of reasons why they might be using religious imagery and iconography in X-Men: Apocalypse, and the fact they are doesn't have to be a bad thing depending on the filmmakers' intentions, and on what we as the audience read into it. I wouldn't jump to be offended until you've actually seen the film.

Sorry for the wall.

Side-note, if there's a Foxverse thread, these posts should probably be moved there. Like Smeagol said, the MCU is completely separate.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

To clarify, I don't have a problem with people discussing the marvel licensed movies by other studios in here. I think it's better than having a separate thread for each set of comic book movies haha.

As for the mythic, god-like Apocalypse thing, I thought it was a neat idea. I'm a Christian but I don't mind comic book movies showing things that I don't believe are true; I like it when stories acknowledge and play with these topics as long as they're not going out of their way to be disrespectful or something. I don't believe any of the events portrayed in comic book movies are true, after all, and that's okay. A bit like an idea posited by Francis Schaeffer:

Francis Schaeffer wrote:

The Christian should be the person who is alive, whose imagination absolutely boils, which moves, which produces something a bit different from God's world because God made us to be creative.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I retitled accordingly to make the thread more open.

"Hey everyone"
http://media.comicbook.com/2016/03/spidey-caps-shield-173556.jpg