Re: Marvel Movies discussion thread

Filip wrote:

Variations in theme matters so little when the execution is so similar time and time again. The only super hero films of the current wave I've cared about were Nolan ones (TDKR to a lesser extent) as they got one fundamental thing perfectly right: consequence. There's absolutely no consequences to anything at all in the Marvel ones, which makes me completely zone out everytime the action starts.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_madcyvfuDd1qb05u7.gif

This basically sums up what I've been trying to articulate, only several times more elegantly and eloquently.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

and ones that aren't afraid to take risks or kill off characters.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 killed off a central character, and that did not make the movie any better.

In other news, the trailer for avengers 2 was supposed to air next week in order to save agents of shield, due to the show's low ratings. Considering the trailer has over 30 million hits already, they lost a major opportunity.

funmiproductions wrote:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 killed off a central character, and that did not make the movie any better.

Ouch. Here, take this:

Spoiler (click to read)
"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Filip wrote:

The only super hero films of they current wave I've cared about were Nolan ones (TDKR to a lesser extent) as they got one fundamental thing perfectly right: consequence. There's absolutely no consequences to anything at all in the Marvel ones, which makes me completely zone out everytime the action starts..

Marvel's Phase 2 films have been all about consequence.

Iron Man 3 focused heavily on the PTSD Tony Stark developed after the events of The Avengers. Thor 2 (while pretty weak, IMO) dealt with the fallout of Loki's actions in the context of his relationship with his brother. Captain America 2 looked at the dark side of a group of self-styled heroes aligning themselves with a multinational, paramilitary intelligence organization and features a twist with enormous consequences (that I won't spoil) for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

You can easily argue that these things are dealt with in broad, larger-than-life ways as befitting their comic book roots, but I don't think you can accurately say that they are not present.

All the movies through Phase 3 are being announced as I type this! Read them here.

So far we've got Doctor Strange (which was already revealed, but now has a release date), Black Panther (my favourite Marvel hero), Thor: Ragnarok and Captain Marvel!

EDIT: AVENGERS 3 IS GOING TO BE IN TWO PARTS AND CALLED INFINITY WAR IM SO EXCITED I FORGOT HOW TO GRAMMAR

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Huh, I didn't know that this was happening, so I got a pleasant surprise after a long day at school.

Did they say if the Captain Marvel movie will be starring Mar-Vell or Carol Danvers? Because the latter is clearly the better choice.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Sonjira wrote:

Carol Danvers

Yup, it's Carol. She's way better than Mar-Vell.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

The guy they chose to play black panther was a good move. Black panther will be in captain america as well, and the film is adapting civil war. The worst part about this news is the fact we have to wait. Ugh. mini/tongue

Avengers in three parts?
Rumor is it is a crossover with guardians of the galaxy as well

Oh, and avengers 2 teases black panther. I just noticed.
http://cdn.wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/andy-serkis-ulysses-klaw-avengers-age-of-ultron-600x360.png

Last edited by funmiproductions (October 28, 2014 (01:37pm))

I was hoping to see Keanu Reeves as Dr. Strange. Bummer.

Guess we can look forward to seeing Dr. Strange as a brooding misunderstood genius who doesn't get along with people, anyway (which admittedly wouldn't be far off base).

Very happy for Doctor Strange, but that's old news. Infinity war 2 Part-er! mini/eek  Still waiting for Moon Knight (Or just a minifigures of him) before I squeal with joy.

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

Wow, quite an announcement. The two part Avengers 3 is massive news because, with contracts and such, there could well be two different selections of heroes in each. Captain America - Civil War will be interesting, and should help keep the series fresh.

I am worried that the next seven years, with 11 more Marvel films, 10 DC films, Sony's Spiderman, and FOX's X-Men/Deadpool/Fantastic Four, the whole thing could come crashing down, but hopefully it will work. I'd hate for Marvel's films to suffer through no fault of their own, but through other companies flooding the cinemas with less good films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGwuoYKhqx8

Here's another look at the film, complete with dialogue and stuff!

I love the moment where Cap almost nudges it. It's subtle, but you can see Thor's face when he realises that maybe he might not be as worthy as he thinks. Character moments. Now I want to see the movie! Adding Rhodes to the mix is a nice change as well.

I love how Thor has to loudly declare "Nothing!" after Cap's try. Insecure, god of thunder?

I was happy the amazing spiderman 2 tanked. I was hoping that Sony would make some sort of deal that would let spidey be in civil war. It would have been epic. Oh well. I don't like the way Sony has all this movies planned in the spidey film world. There is only so much you can do with one character's material before it gets old.

funmiproductions wrote:

I was happy the amazing spiderman 2 tanked. I was hoping that Sony would make some sort of deal that would let spidey be in civil war.

That's a lot of money. It ain't Avengers or Iron Man 3, but that's pretty far from tanked imo.

That being said, if there was a time to bring Spidey into the MCU, as much as I've said it's unlikely in years past, now would be a pretty opportune time to do it. Spider-Man's a pretty big part of the Civil War storyline in the comics, so it would make some lick of sense for the two studios to come to an agreement now.

That said, Sony still seems to think that its Spider-Man "shared universe" will work out, so I wouldn't hold your breath to much.

In other news, very excitement for trailer.

Last edited by Sonjira (October 29, 2014 (03:24pm))

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Trust me, it tanked. The budget was around 200 million. It did not include the very expensive marketing plan the film had. Besides, both critics and fans agreed this was the worst entry in the series. But, that's a discussion for another thread.

funmiproductions wrote:

Besides, both critics and fans agreed this was the worst entry in the series.

Well, it's good to know that people aren't focusing so much of their hate towards Spider-Man 3. I'm tired of people flaming this one so much, it really wasn't as terrible as everyone thinks it to b--oh wait...
http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/ZwiWx6sqlvE/mqdefault.jpg

Spoiler (click to read)

...yeah, I can live with that.

Last edited by Mickey (October 29, 2014 (04:50pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Jargon wrote:

Iron Man 3 focused heavily on the PTSD Tony Stark developed after the events of The Avengers.

So let me get this straight: Tony Stark develops PTSD after events that ended like... this?

Seriously?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Jargon wrote:

Iron Man 3 focused heavily on the PTSD Tony Stark developed after the events of The Avengers.

So let me get this straight: Tony Stark develops PTSD after events that ended like... this?

Seriously?

I'm not sure if the complaint is that nearly dying in deep space isn't traumatic enough or that people with PTSD should immediately turn into depressive husks that can't make jokes.

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Jargon wrote:

Seriously?

I'm not sure you fully grasp Stark's PTSD. It doesn't necessarily immediately develop, and IM3 clearly shows that it takes certain triggers to set him off (anything that looks like a space portal).

After GotG, IM3 is my favourite MCU film.