Re: I Am The Night

Pritchard Studios wrote:
Squid wrote:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/905350_657350114288334_245440070_o.jpg

OK....Now that's an improvement if I've ever seen one.
That sir, is how one does brick-built titles, good job.

Do that right there, and I will be greatly impressed.

And won't it be great to see your name in big LEGO letters?

So, I have Sean Carroll playing Gordon now.  He's already finished his lines.  I'm wanting to have Brandon Fields record his Riddler lines, but I need one more little riddle.

Can anyone think of a riddle where the answer is "jack"?
(The Riddler will be referring to a jack that brings up a car, but the riddle could involve a jack-in-the-box, a knave, or any other sort of jack so long as the answer is jack)

I have one- "This breaks concrete and chops down trees, the name, give it to me please" (referring to a jack hammer and a lumber jack)

Ooo, that sounds pretty good.
Though, I feel like it needs just a little bit more.
There could be a line with a rhyme like that one, and then that line would be the final line.

EDIT: I have it!

Hear ye my riddle, it isn't too hard
Who lives in a box with his face on a card?
Who breaks up rocks and chops down trees?
You've now heard my riddle, so answer it please!

Last edited by Squid (December 6, 2013 (07:59am))

New and improved-
"This breaks concrete and chops down trees, the name, give it to me please
but this name isn't of a man but when fixing things it can get you out of a jam."

It would be very awesome intro if the letters transformed to a bat's wings and the bat started to fly while camera is zooming out.

I love your improved version of the riddle, squid. mini/smile

Wait, question; who's cast as The Joker? I'm a bit disappointed I missed the audition, but I'm interested to know. I've always loved The Joker.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

Golden wrote:

Wait, question; who's cast as The Joker? I'm a bit disappointed I missed the audition, but I'm interested to know. I've always loved The Joker.

I never held an audition for the Joker because I was always planning upon playing him.  I've procrastinated on actually recording the lines for a while, but I should probably get to it sometime soon.  I've been wanting to actually dress up the Joker as I often do for Halloweens and do most of my lines standing as Mark Hamill did in the animated series when playing the part.

I also play Scarecrow.  In Prichard's Birthday video, he used some laughter I had recorded for his batman film.  And that is about how I will sound in my film.

I also play Scarface, Freeze, various thugs, Alfred, some cops, and few minor characters.

Stan the LEGO Man plays a specific thug, Chris Pelly from Pirate Rule and Bank plays a character, and I'll be using some audio I already had from JK and LGFB from other films for some inmates at Arkham in the background.
Doug Sloan plays Batman as he did in my very short Batman film.  I was using a very, very bad mic for that though, but I used a blue snowball this time.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1493539_662555703767775_814035989_o.jpg

I've finished animating the King Tut fight scene.
The whole thing is only about 500 frames long, but it's got some pretty cool stuff.  I tried using even more moving camera shots than usual to make it more interesting, I did 27 in a row without one still shot, actually.  I also have 13 shots which involve masking, so today's going to be a long day in Photoshop.

After THAC I'm going to work on either Welcome to Darkmoor or the Bat-Cave scenes.

That frame looks awesome mini/bigsmile  (especially with batman's glowing green head mini/smile )

Very nice frame you got there. For some reason the focus looks really nice/is interesting, due to the angle of the shot. And I'm curious about what the light is in the middle of the frame? Is it for a gunshot or something totally different?
Also, have fun doing all that masking. mini/smile

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

Last week I recorded my lines for the Joker, for which I decided to get especially in character with costume, facepaint, and hairspray, so I'm glad that's been done.

Though the films opening act will be riddled with flicker as usual, I have today found a way to stop the flickering.

My camera, even when set to full manual settings, does not properly return itself to the exact same aperture for each frame.  I've known this was the problem for a while, but hadn't a way to stop it.
Though, today I discovered that a little thing between the lens and the camera controls the aperture.  I used some tiny wads of paper to jam the aperture control securely in place.
It will now be very, very difficult to change the aperture, but I usually don't find it necessary, so that's okay.  I can just change the brightness with exposure time.

The rest of I am the Night should be without flicker, unless I make a different type of error, as should the entirety of Leprechauns in France, Welcome to Darkmoor, and all of my future films.
mini/smile

I'm not planning to film any I am the Night for quite a while, though.  Leprechauns and France and Welcome to Darkmoor will probably keep my busy until much later this year.

About the ventriloquists hair, you said you couldn't use any of your grey hair because of his double sided face. But what I do (and I usually do everything wrong, so don't pay too much attention to this post) whenever I have a double sided face with short hair, is replace the double sided face with a single sided face whenever the back of the characters head is showing. I don't see why you couldn't do the same, but maybe I'm just stupid.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Squid wrote:

riddled with flicker

Was that intentional? mini/lol

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Sounds great.  I know I'm a bit in commenting, but I love those brick-built letters.  Also, if that frame of the King Tut fight scene is anything to go by, it will be spectacular ( or possibly spectutular).
(I should regret making that atrocious pun but I don't)]

Anyway, do you have an idea when you will release this?  I seem to recall you mentioning April 2014 as a possible release date a while back, but that was some time ago.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (January 25, 2014 (04:51pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Anyway, do you have an idea when you will release this?  I seem to recall you mentioning April 2014 as a possible release date a while back, but that was some time ago.

My estimates have been really bad.  Really bad.

Now that I'm further in and have a better idea of things and a finished script, I'm hoping to finish it next year.  Probably late next year.  But next year I do hope.

After I'm done with Darkmoor I'm planning to get myself back into this at full speed.  I've also thought of some ideas for shortcuts to make it go a bit faster and be easier on myself.
For instance I plan to have Batman get punched so hard that the light in the cowl breaks, which will be fitting for an epic final fight, which I want to feel very dark.  The glow face is very limiting for cinematography and makes things very rough.  I've also decided to keep the car chase pretty short, as it would be pretty complex and I can't think of much to keep it interesting for long anyway without going beyond my current abilities.

I already have some of the more complex stuff behind me now, and I've become faster with BRAWL and THAC, and having no flicker makes me want to brickfilm a whole bunch.

Well, it's been a year since I've updated this thread.  It's also been a year since I've animated any of this film because I was working on side projects which have taken longer than expected.

But I have some news.
Upon looking over the animation I've already completed, it's already become outdated to what I am doing now.  This is largely due to taking two years to film just a couple minutes and going off on side-projects and dealing with other problems such as over-complex shots which took months as well as moving in the middle of it.

If I film the rest of the video and put it with what I've compiled this far, there will be a nasty error in continuity which is going to really weigh down the film.

So I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and release what I have so far as its own video, as it is just the fight with King Tut which was meant to start up the film with Batman taking out one criminal before he gets to the rest, however it works by itself as its own film similarly to I Am The Darkness.

I still need a few more shots to finish it off, but it's very little that I need to do on it, thus I will be releasing Batman's fight with King Tut sometime later this year.  That way the footage won't be wasted, and a continuity problem won't be made.  This is what I get for taking way to long to make a film.

As for the rest of the thing, I'm not sure about finishing it, but I'll keep the voice lines and everything in case I ever want to properly make it as I Am Vengence with Joker, Riddler, and the other things, though without batty's glowing face.  Although I highly doubt it at this point.  I think I made the film a bit too complex, and making it didn't seem as effective as I wanted it to be.

Even so, in trying to make this film what I wanted it to be, I feel I've greatly expanded my skill and learned a whole lot.

And even if I'm not making A batman film anymore, I'll still be spending loads of time brickfilming, so don't worry, I'll just be making other films.

TD;DR: I Am The Night is coming out this year, however only as a short like I Am The Darkness with Batman's fight against King Tut.

(Sorry)

Oh...Is it bad that I completely forgot about this...? mini/twitch

I'm sad to see this go the way of most "feature-length" projects, but seeing as it's leaving for bigger, better, and more original projects, the sacrifice becomes well-worth it. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful progress on it, as well as releasing what footage you have. Can't wait to see it.
And thanks for updating us on this.

I've been in the same situation; I'm sure you're making the right decision for the film, and yourself as a film maker. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have completed.