Re: Frame from Your Upcoming Film

http://i.imgur.com/hWLTGHh.jpg

A just-completed shot from my upcoming Appetite Lost.

The on set lighting is really impressive here, however, I feel like there needs to be a few more off-camera lights, as some parts of the shot feel a little too dark.  Right now it looks like the lights on set are the only lights and once the frame ends they're just gone.  I feel like more would make it feel bigger, like there's a lot of light off frame that we can't see.

But still that's really impressive how many you've packed in here.  The blurry city in the background looks like a convincing real blurry city.

I do agree with Squid on this. While the lighting is very impressive, it is still rather dark. Perhaps more lighting/contrast.

Otherwise the shot is beautiful.

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

I third squids concern. The ammount of lights is just incredible though, and I'm actually leaning towards the mysterious dark vehicle.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

I appreciate the comments, though I have to disagree about the concern on the level of light. This film is set at night, there shouldn't be much more light than you can see right now. This isn't like most "at night" shots where it was filmed during the day and then tinted blue. Plus, the whole point of this frame is to emphasize a sense of isolation, darkness and the unknown.

I actually really like the level of lighting, it doesn't seem too dark to me at all.  The microscale skyscraper background is done really nicely, and I really like the light splashing on the side of the wall (it really complements the 2x1 tiling, I think).  However, the focus is a bit off to me.  The image is only in focus at the far right side, yet when looking at it my eyes are immediately drawn to the centre of the image, with the lens flare.  That part is not in focus, though, so it feels a bit off to me.  Aside from that, though, this is a really nice frame.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I love it.
The level of detail is amazing, the on-set lighting is perfect, and the image itself looks more realistic and physical than brickfilms normally do. I'm not normally a fan of wider aspect ratios, but the way this is framed, along with the composition of the shot, just wouldn't look the same in any other ratio.

Mr Vertigo has a point about that lens flare, but that's the only issue I have with it.

I should clarify this frame is before the focus pull. After the focus pull, the police car (and lens flare) is in focus. One of the drawbacks from posting a single static frame for a dynamic shot, I suppose.

Some of the building lights are a bit hot, and I think the frame would benefit from some small fill in the car, but overall this is a great frame. I really like the wall texture behind the yellow car and how it interacts with all the on set lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Sometimes darker images don't make as much sence out of context of the proceeding and following shots, my only grip is I would have used an external light to add some brightness to the headlights of the main vehicle, but I'm excited to see this in motion.

This was the final shot I animated for my cyber-punk film, hoping it will be up by Sunday
http://i.imgur.com/svSTstH.jpg

Saw the completed animation a few minutes ago. Good work Sloth! mini/smile

Here's a frame from a short sci-fi animation I'm working on. I would guess it will only be around a minute in length, tops.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-W0HI4w7XZic/VLrt6S83WFI/AAAAAAAAAIY/qp4jNCHoKoA/w756-h567-no/Encounter20000.bmp

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

I'm glad you're making it. mini/smile How are those chains? mini/wink

backyardlegos wrote:

I'm glad you're making it. mini/smile How are those chains? mini/wink

Surprisingly, they haven't been really giving me any trouble at all. How's the lighting look? Not too dark, is it?

I actually liked the darker one better, as it sets a more mysterious vague tone.

Gentrystudios wrote:

I actually liked the darker one better, as it sets a more mysterious vague tone.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I was afraid that, if I kept the same lighting, it would be too hard to see the (living) astronaut's face, as all the light is coming from above. It will probably get a little darker once I process it through my editing software. Do you think it's too bright now, or will it probably still work?

I don't think it's too bright. I just prefer it darker, but it's not too big of a deal. I think it's a pretty good frame.

@Brickcrazy, I've also recently built a set with lots of pipes and chains! Btw, I really like this frame. I like the way the minifigures are centre framed however my favourite thing would be the shadow of the grill/mesh thing at the top of the frame. If I could improve anything, I would move the metal pillar further to the right and closer to the camera.

animationIsaac wrote:

@Brickcrazy, I've also recently built a set with lots of pipes and chains! Btw, I really like this frame. I like the way the minifigures are centre framed however my favourite thing would be the shadow of the grill/mesh thing at the top of the frame. If I could improve anything, I would move the metal pillar further to the right and closer to the camera.

Cool! you should post a frame from your set too (I'd like to see it mini/smile ) Technically, this isn't exactly how the frame will look in the completed film, as it will be cropped to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Thus, the pillar will look closer.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with how this film is turning out so far. I'd love to post more frames, but I don't want to give too much away. mini/wink  It should be much higher quality than my past films as well. Despite the fact that my camera is a Quickcam Pro 9000, my old capture program only let me go up to 640 x 480 resolution, while the one I'm using now lets me go up to 1600 x 1200! mini/jaw Yeah, not as good as having a DSLR, but at least I'm now using my webcam to its full potential.

Last edited by Brickcrazy (January 20, 2015 (01:57pm))

Here's a frame showing part of the set just before panning down towards out-of-frame minifig.
http://i.imgur.com/9QJPzeu.png
I'm hoping for this scene to be very claustrophobic!

Definitely feels claustrophobic! Impossible to tell exactly what's supposed to be going on, but the red lighting gives it a rather creepy look.