Topic: Steam

Does anyone else here play video games on Steam (TF2, Dota 2, CS, etc)?

Re: Steam

Currently, Payday 2 is my jam. I also played a lot of Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead and plenty of single-player games in the past. I'm also playing a lot of The Long Dark.

LASF wrote:

Does anyone else here play video games on Steam (TF2, Dota 2, CS, etc)?

Started playing tf2 over thanksgiving break. I have enjoyed it.:)

I don't really play many online games, but I'm Squash102 on Steam and wouldn't be opposed to playing online with folks I know when I have the time.

I mainly just do single player, lots of Kerbal Space Program and Roguelikes.

I think it is time for Brickfilm Simulator 2015

I love games, yet I've only recently jumped onto the Steam bandwagon (over two years ago) - because I finally have a computer that can play Portal 2 without exploding, and since Microsoft and Sony continue to shun backward compatibility (basically erasing the entire history of gaming and replacing it with the same but worse) I've decided that if I'm going to embrace gaming as an exciting new artform I might as well go to where all the exciting stuff is happening. Plus Steam is rapidly becoming an infinite archive that preserves the history of gaming for all to peruse...as long as you have a lot of money, or watch the sales like a hawk.

This being said, I hate how Steam gleefully informs both you and the rest of the world how much time you've spent gaming. Every time I want to play Team Fortress 2, I get a stab of shame as I'm told I've wasted 490 hours of my life on it. I could have spent that time writing a novel, or at least putting together a pretty good Brickfilm...

Also, whilst TF2 and every other Valve multiplayer game hugely benefits from sporadic updates - I remember the old days when you would expect a new game to not be a buggy mess. Bethesda in particular have mastered the art of releasing a broken mess of a game, then releasing a hailstorm of patches before letting the fans fix the rest of the game for them.

(I'm 'Alkami' on Steam, BTW - if you want to know precisely how much of my life gets sunk into video games rather than writing my bestseller or looking deeply into my lovers eyes)

Last edited by Max Butcher (December 6, 2014 (04:15pm))

YouTube
Max, She/They

My Steam account is MunchySquid.  I sometimes get into TF2 moods where I play quite a lot of it, though it's almost exclusively capture the flag, often times with my brother, as we have two working computers in the same room allowing us to coordinate more complex strategies and work together.  We're particularly deadly with our flying demo medic combo and our double engineer Well strategy.  Sometimes I'm amazed at how creative one can be in setting up a good defense.

Though at the moment, I'm not in one of my TF2 sprees, but it's likely to happen again sometime soon.  Especially with Lee in the mood right now.

Max Butcher wrote:

I hate how Steam gleefully informs both you and the rest of the world how much time you've spent gaming. Every time I want to play Team Fortress 2, I get a stab of shame as I'm told I've wasted 490 hours of my life on it. I could have spent that time writing a novel, or at least putting together a pretty good Brickfilm...

At least that's not quite as bad as my family's combined 1,600 hours on Skyrim.  (although, half of that may be due to me)

Right now I've been on a spree of Elder Scrolls games jumping mainly from Oblivion, Morrowind, and Skyrim, as well as occasionally popping in for a little bit of Arena and Daggerfall.
Upon the subject of bugs, though, I really don't think that there really are any good old days for Bethesda.  Morrowind and Daggerfall are older yet quite a mess each.  The latter particularly so.
Though at least for Morrowind I can constantly consult the wiki and edge around known bugs or use the console to rectify things, and it's also nice to be able to find things without working only with the horribly difficult directions the NPCs give you.

However, I seem to have run into quite a problem in Morrowind where it suddenly froze all settings (video, controls, difficulty) all to defaults.  And any attempt to rectify this just snaps them back to defaults.  Uninstalling and reinstalling also doesn't change anything.  And I can't really play it on this computer any more without it being squashed and with the wrong controls.

Anyone know why that might have happened so suddenly or how it might be rectified?

My Steam name is Sonjira (wow).

I'm not sure if there's really a game that I play all the time, as it's really whatever I feel like on a given day. My most played game is also TF2, though I feel a slight pang of superiority having only spent 70 hours on it. I'll take what I can get.

Other games I've played a lot of are Spelunky, Pacman Championship Edition DX+, and Awesomenauts. I've been considering getting into DOTA 2 and I've heard from a friend that Age of Empires 2 is great, but I've beeen really trying to step up my productivty with making brickfilms and the like so I feel like a new game would only hinder that.

But yeah, we should totally set up a Steam Group for BiM.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Yes Squid, we know you like TF2. Remember that Skype call? mini/wink

Well, now I feel a lot better about my about 100 hours on various Lego games....
Honestly, I have Steam, but hardly play anything here at college, and never anything that can be done with others online.

There is a brickfilmers Steam group, so go join it if you haven't already!

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Squid wrote:

Though at least for Morrowind I can constantly consult the wiki and edge around known bugs or use the console to rectify things, and it's also nice to be able to find things without working only with the horribly difficult directions the NPCs give you.

Bah! Morrowind! I keep trying to play that, but end up just walking forwards for a few moments before getting killed by a rat or something. It's one of those games that at the start gives you loads of choices in a vague language (it's not "warrior, rougue, mage" it's stuff like "spirit-lord, sword-thief") and then you stroll outside to find out that you've chosen everything wrong.

Then again, this happened with System Shock 2 for about a year until I finally realised that I should just dump all my experience into bashing stuff on the head (including gun-turrets and security-bots) and finally I was able to get past the second level - whereupon it became one of my favourite games. Maybe I should try Morrowind again with the wiki open in another window...

YouTube
Max, She/They

I don't know if this is what you mean, but I play Magic: The Gathering 2012 and it requires the SteamClient to play.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

My username is Mr_Chris_W. I play TF2. A lot of TF2. More accurately, almost 1,250 hours worth.

I do occasionally play other games, like both Portals, Garry's Mod, and a few others. I've been wanting to get into Source Filmmaker, but sadly it's not available for Mac, and my Windows isn't fast enough to support it. [/feels]

Who else plays Kerbal Space Program?

I just started playing Space Engineers, and I like it way too much. So that half counts.

Nathan Wells wrote:

I just started playing Space Engineers, and I like it way too much. So that half counts.

In Space Engineers, I built a gigantic hammer shaped ship filled with over a thousand gyros, giving it fantastic turnning ability.  the entire ship can be used as a weapon by turning itself and smashing other ships with little damage being done to itself thanks to its heavy armour.

I've also created a giant race track for testing out rovers which took quite some time to construct as well as a classic space LEGO styled fighter and a large battleship.

You can be quite creative with that game, and I like it quite a lot.  My family has been really wanting to get a second copy so we can play together in operations and prearranged combat scenarios.

Max Butcher wrote:

Bah! Morrowind! I keep trying to play that, but end up just walking forwards for a few moments before getting killed by a rat or something. It's one of those games that at the start gives you loads of choices in a vague language (it's not "warrior, rougue, mage" it's stuff like "spirit-lord, sword-thief") and then you stroll outside to find out that you've chosen everything wrong.

Yeah, it's pretty confusing.  I usually create a custom class, which is nice since you can add a favored attribute of luck, which is a had, but important attribute to increase other than in that case.  It's also important to maximize endurance early on.

Though what most annoys me is that your character's movement speed is usually horribly slow.  Even with maxed out normal speed with a male orc's speed multiplier movement speed only feels barely reasonable.  Of course, with the Boots of Blinding Speed trick you can get to a delightful speed boot early in the game and block the blindness.
It's a nice way to get through the story more quickly and less disjointed without spending 100 days lost in the ashlands dying of blight with Cliff Racers and Dark Brotherhood assassin's on you all the time.

A good starting setup is a Breton with the apprentice brithsign, which gives you quite a fantastic Magicka multiplier.  And the Breton's resistance blocks the birthsign weakness, making them both redundant.

I've been wanting to get into Source Filmmaker, but sadly it's not available for Mac, and my Windows isn't fast enough to support it. [/feels]

For some time my little brother Lee (also sometimes called Matt Damon Universe) has been working on a Source film called You Never Go to Four.  Though it's far from done, it's coming along quite nicely, particularly in terms of cinematography.  I've been helping out a lot on the project with advice, story, and direction.  I'm also supposed to remind him to work on it more often, but my mum's been playing so much of the new Dragon Age he rarely gets an opportunity to use the computer.

Right, I forgot to include my Steam name in the OP. Here's my profile. Add me if you wish to. I'm already part of the Brickfilmers group.

I play TF2 (woo, 600 hours and counting), CS:GO, Borderlands, and some stuff like it.

LASF wrote:

Right, I forgot to include my Steam name in the OP. Here's my profile. Add me if you wish to. I'm already part of the Brickfilmers group.

I play TF2 (woo, 600 hours and counting), CS:GO, Borderlands, and some stuff like it.

So that's who that is. mini/lol

Hey, just wondering, any TF2-players wanna organize a TF2C match? That'd be pretty cool, like a 6s (I doubt we'd get enough for Highlander).

Also, 1k hours. /nolife