Topic: Marvel Movies discussion thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeOjFno6Do

The trailer was released, and it is beautiful.

Last edited by funmiproductions (February 7, 2016 (07:27am))

Re: Marvel Movies discussion thread

Ultron looks cool.  I'm just hesitant to get excited because I feel like it will be mediocre, like almost all the other Marvel movies in my opinion.

Good gosh, this has to be one of the most exhilarating Marvel trailers I've seen in a long time. I'm reeled in, and ready to go. Only one thing left to do: watch the first Avengers... mini/tongue

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

You know, I think I'm more excited for this than Star Wars 7 having seen the trailer. This film is going to be truly epic. It has Andy Serkis for goodness sake! And they haven't even shown

Spoiler (click to read)

Vision

yet...

Saw this at like 2am, when I should have been sleeping mini/eek  so excited for this now! (not that I wasn't already lol)

Here's my take on stuff.

Spoiler (click to read)
  • Andy Serkis is likely to be Ulysses Klaw, an enemy of Black Panther (who's been confirmed for Phase 3, I think) who could perhaps provide Ultron with vibranium?

• I did not expect a Hulk/Widow ship, but that could be really interesting.

• I'm glad we're getting more of Hulk. Mark Ruffalo is perfect as Banner, and since he hasn't had a film of his own since The Avengers it's only logical he'd get a large part in Avengers 2.

• The use of the Pinocchio music is beautifully eery, and totally befitting of what Whedon's hinted Ultron's character arc will be.

• Speaking of Ultron, James Spader sounds amazing. Not sure about the facial animation, but the Ultron Sentinels look great, and I love the sequence of the failed body walking in on the Avengers' party.

• Despite rumours to the contrary, and a possible appearance in Cap 3, Steve Rogers is likely to do in my opinion. They're already setting up Bucky for taking on the role which, if Steve dies in Age of Ultron, would happen somewhere in Cap 3. That said, they could reserve Rogers' death for Cap 3, and have another major character death in AoU instead.

• Just because Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are new superheroes doesn't exempt them from possibly being killed off. Whedon wrote this. Be warned! mini/jaw

• I'm not expecting HYDRA to be defeated anytime soon, so we could be looking at quite a hollow victory for the Avengers in this film, especially if one or more of them dies.

Of course, I'm just a fan speculating on one trailer, some comics and a lot of internet rumours, so I could be totally wrong.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Oh my god, it looks amazing. I love the HulkBuster!

And youtube isn't working again. mini/sad

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

Jayem wrote:

You know, I think I'm more excited for this than Star Wars 7. It has Andy Serkis for goodness sake!

lol so does Star Wars 7

Lucas wrote:
Jayem wrote:

You know, I think I'm more excited for this than Star Wars 7. It has Andy Serkis for goodness sake!

lol so does Star Wars 7

Ha ha, forgot that! Excellent point. I assume Andy Serkis is doing motion-capture in Star Wars, whereas here he's actually acting, which is new to me.

I hadn't properly realised how much Marvel are cramming into this film. As I said before, there's a significant new character not even shown in this trailer, and quite a few scenes not directly related to what we thought was the main storyline, suggesting they're setting up lots of things for Phase 3. I hope they don't cram too much in to too short a film - I'd happily watch a 3 hour long Avengers film.

I agree with Jayem in saying that I hope they haven't overloaded on characters; wouldn't want another Revenge of the Fallen thing happening. Whedon did a fantastic job with all of the characters in the first Avengers, so I think he'll do well with this one (hoping, anyway).

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Thought it was pretty boring, honestly. Trailer-wise it's just like every other super hero trailer released the past five-or-so years - and there's been far too many for me to keep caring about them.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Filip wrote:

Thought it was pretty boring, honestly. Trailer-wise it's just like every other super hero trailer released the past five-or-so years - and there's been far too many for me to keep caring about them.

I completely agree.

I'd have to concur with Willow Tree and Filip; I've been getting rather bored of superheroes of late.  Not that I don't like superhero movies (far from it), but there's been such an over-saturation of them that it's beginning to feel stale.

Personally I thought The Avengers was pretty underwhelming--you already knew how it was going to end before it started.  This looks like more of the same, really, i.e. an over-the-top action movie set to Inception rip-off music that values style over substance.  Mostly this trailer just begs the question of why the Avengers are apparently more pre-occupied with fighting each other than dealing with this new threat, who these random people with superpowers are, and who the sweaty guy with the hipster haircut and beard, who appears for all of three seconds but otherwise has no apparent connection to the rest of the movie, actually is.

At least, that's my take on it.

(The "Pinocchio" thing is actually pretty clever, though.)

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Looks great, but so does every other release from this genre right now.

The draw for this film is meant to be the team, this collection of heroes who don't get along, but have to try and figure out their issues to fight a common enemy. Nobody spoke during the entire trailer. With a writer/director like Joss Whedon, you want to know that he's got them interacting like human beings, so that when things get super-human, we're still attached.

Nobody spoke during the entire trailer.

Well, you saw what Thor did to Iron Man when he tried to get a line in. Can you blame them?

I hope one of the avengers dies, or else the dark and scary tone won't carry the same weight in the movie as it does here.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually pretty hyped. Especially after I spent a large amount of my summer absorbing Buffy/Whedon stuff so I'm pretty excited about all that stuff. Plus I'm just a huge super hero guy who couldn't give a crap about over-saturation cause I'm all about that stuff.

So brave

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Sonjira wrote:

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually pretty hyped. Especially after I spent a large amount of my summer absorbing Buffy/Whedon stuff so I'm pretty excited about all that stuff. Plus I'm just a huge super hero guy who couldn't give a crap about over-saturation cause I'm all about that stuff.

So brave

I'm with Sonjira.

Besides, there may be a lot of superhero films, but especially in recent years they've all been very different. Man of Steel was (and the series will continue to be) about morality and purpose, while The Dark Knight was a comment on vigilantism and responses to terrorism. All three Iron Man movies are about self-reinvention and the dangers of ego, Thor is a Shakespearean romance at heart, Cap 1 is a pantomime, and Cap 2 is a paranoid political thriller. To me, there's quite a lot of variation, and being a comic books fan I'm happy to see characters I grew up with make it to the screen.

Besides, I'd rather more superhero movies than more Transformers, dystopia young adult flicks, and childhood-destroying reboots. At least more superhero movies tend to be good-to-excellent these days, and I'm sure Age of Ultron will be no exception.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

True--The Dark Knight is one of my all-time favourite films and I really like Man of Steel, but it getting repetitive.  In the past few years we've had 2 Spider-man movies, 2 Captain Americas, 3 Iron Man movies, 2 Thors, a bunch of X-Men films, and the Avengers, and it feels like it's just getting too much for me--and now DC is jumping on the bandwagon with Batman vs Superman.  (And not all of them are good; I found Dark Knight Rises pretty weak in comparison with the rest of the trilogy, and Iron Man 2 sucks.)  It's a bit like eating delicious chocolate cake every day for a year; while it tastes good, but I'd still be tired of it at the end of the year.

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but it seems that for Marvel especially these films are beginning to get pretty formulaic.  The good guy always wins, the outcome is predictable, just the scenery is slightly different.  As I stated before, The Avengers was underwhelming to me because you already know exactly how it's going to end, i.e. the heroes save the day and capture Loki, etc.  By contrast, The Dark Knight is much more suspenseful and engaging because we literally have no idea what The Joker is going to do next, and the film isn't afraid to take risks.  Loki is basically a spoiled brat with superpowers; The Joker is genuinely terrifying, and he doesn't need super-strength to prove it.  Heroes having to work together to beat the threat was a huge theme in The Avengers, but judging from the trailer they clearly haven't learned their lesson, so it just feels like more of the same to me.  (Not to mention, Fury unites the Avengers in the corniest way possible with Coulson's death].. except it turns out he didn't die] after all, which removes any emotional weight and significance.)  And when a superhero film actually tries to do something different (like Superman killing Zod] in Man of Steel)... well...

I'd much rather see films that focus on much more obscure comic book characters, and ones that aren't afraid to take risks or kill off characters.  There's plenty of fresh and interesting material there if done right, and it makes a nice change from the endless Brotherhood of Justice Avengers films we're getting.

You're absolutely correct in saying that superhero movies aren't the worst thing in film these days, it's much better than lame Hunger Games rip-offs and Michael Bay films.  (I genuinely don't get why people still pay to watch his movies.  Everyone knows what his films are like and talks about how bad they are, but stick Optimus Prime on a robot dinosaur and suddenly everyone, in true internet fashion, is like OMG GUISE THIS IS GONNA BE LIKE TEH MOST EPIC AND AWESOME THING EVAR!!!!!11!!)  Still, I'd much rather see original well-made films than these endless superhero films.  Again, I'm not against superhero films, I love me some superheroes, and I'm definitely open to seeing a superhero film that manages to do something interesting and original, but at this rate I feel like the whole superhero fad is getting stale pretty quickly.

(tl;dr:  I love superhero movies, but it's just getting bland and repetitive at this point and I'd rather see something fresh and new.)

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

jampot wrote:

I'm with Sonjira.

Besides, there may be a lot of superhero films, but especially in recent years they've all been very different. Man of Steel was (and the series will continue to be) about morality and purpose, while The Dark Knight was a comment on vigilantism and responses to terrorism. All three Iron Man movies are about self-reinvention and the dangers of ego, Thor is a Shakespearean romance at heart, Cap 1 is a pantomime, and Cap 2 is a paranoid political thriller. To me, there's quite a lot of variation, and being a comic books fan I'm happy to see characters I grew up with make it to the screen.

While true, I really don't care at all.

Variations in theme matters so little when the execution is so similar time and time again. The only super hero films of the current wave I've cared about were Nolan ones (TDKR to a lesser extent) as they got one fundamental thing perfectly right: consequence. There's absolutely no consequences to anything at all in the Marvel ones, which makes me completely zone out everytime the action starts. I should add that I haven't seen any post-Avengers film, but so far I've found the "seen one, seen them all"-mentality to be true in this case.

The dialogue can be somewhat funny though.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.