Topic: ANZAC

Directory Link

ANZAC

Vote here!
Watch on YouTube
Behind the Scenes

This film is an entry into a short film competition. Please vote for it in the public choice award.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Re: ANZAC

Anyone want to give me any feedback for my film?

Dude, it's only been an hour.

The set was good, as was your animation (especially the tide coming in and out) but your camera movement could be a little smoother. Also, the fact there was no muzzle flash of any kind when the soldiers were shooting was a little odd. They don't even need to be VFX, you could just put a 1x1 trans-orange or trans-red cone on the end of the gun barrel while animating.

The main strength was the writing, though. The story was actually quite powerful, and the colours you chose for the sets and characters reflected the tone well.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

Dude, it's only been an hour.

The set was good, as was your animation (especially the tide coming in and out) but your camera movement could be a little smoother. Also, the fact there was no muzzle flash of any kind when the soldiers were shooting was a little odd. They don't even need to be VFX, you could just put a 1x1 trans-orange or trans-red cone on the end of the gun barrel while animating.

The main strength was the writing, though. The story was actually quite powerful, and the colours you chose for the sets and characters reflected the tone well.

13 hours actually.

Thanks for your feedback. Don't know why I didn't think of the muzzle flash.

Kieren Barnett wrote:

13 hours actually.

Sorry. I read the times wrong - didn't notice one was am not pm.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Was this Gallipoli?

Willco66 wrote:

Was this Gallipoli?

That's where the idea came from. The name stuck since the beginning; and it may not be historically accurate but could work with the British actor...allied forces and all.

Pretty good, a bit rushed though. The animation amazing, I liked the waves but they felt a bit dull. It was also annoying how there was no muzzle flash. I voted!

Very nice story, creates an effect on the account of the soldier!

Slurping Animations wrote:

Very nice story, creates an effect on the account of the soldier!

One that is drafted into serving. Not now and days with our modern day soldiers who VOLUNTEER.

Anyway, the camera was all over the place nor was it very steady and locked down. I understand you were aiming for a shaky cam effect, but that's hard to do unless you lock the camera down and add the wiggle in post. Your animation was ok, but the ease-in-ease-out was very rough and looked like they were just waving the guns up and down. It also looked like this was shot at 4:3 and then stretched to 16:9. I'd recommend just shooting a native 16:9 resolution since that's what most televsion/monitors use.

Your set was basic and plain. Weren't any craters or burn marks from explosions, but I did like the cotton ball effect. (never gets old)

The story was more or less just dropping us into his situation and not giving us any back story or character development, so it didn't really matter if anything happened to him or not. Same goes for second character we discover for about 3 seconds.

Overall it's a nice 2.5/5

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

CarrollFilms wrote:

our modern day soldiers who VOLUNTEER

Actually a lot of modern soldiers do not volunteer, they join up to defend their country, and they get paid for their role.

CarrollFilms wrote:

Actually a lot of modern soldiers do not volunteer, they join up to defend their country, and they get paid for their role.

You are both correct, but this film is irrelevant to the fact since it isn't about modern day soldiers. It was based on WW1.

It also looked like this was shot at 4:3 and then stretched to 16:9. I'd recommend just shooting a native 16:9 resolution since that's what most televsion/monitors use.

I have fixed the resolution issue. The entire production was 4:3, but a standard YouTube video is 16:9, although there is a tag to force the player to change it.

As for all other advice everyone, thanks mini/smile
It will definitely help me make better animations.

Last edited by Kieren Barnett (May 30, 2014 (05:17pm))

Kieren Barnett wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:

You are both correct, but this film is irrelevant to the fact since it isn't about modern day soldiers. It was based on WW1.

Actually this seams more like WW2.

Kieren Barnett wrote:

Really?!

It seems like more of a fictional war if anything (not to be mean, but this doesn't look anything like a WWI film) Assuming that you meant the video to take place during WWI, I would like to point the historical inaccuracies. I don't know a whole lot  about WWI (I find WWII more interesting), but I am pretty certain (actually, completely certain) that there weren't any beach landings. The countries all just got themselves stuck in a stalemate in the middle of Europe, nowhere near the coast. Most the time fighting was spent in trenches (especially near the end of the war). There was nothing to do with beaches. The other thing would be the uniforms and weapons, which are not accurate either. Next time you might want to use rifles and more primitive firearms. There was no camouflage, the uniforms were just olive drab green. The could also use helmets and backpacks.

Nice video though! Technically, Its pretty well polished. the scripts was really nice, and the animation wasn't bad. Despite the inaccuracy, I liked the set a lot. I watched your "Behind The Scenes" video, and I must say its pretty impressive that you recorded the beach sounds yourself! Carroll pointed some important problems. One more suggestion would be to add muzzle flashes.

EDIT: Nevermind the muzzle flashes thing, Jampot aleady pointed that out.

EDIT 2: Also, I voted.

Last edited by PushOverProductions (May 30, 2014 (06:12pm))

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

PushOverProductions wrote:
Kieren Barnett wrote:

Really?!

It seems like more of a fictional war if anything (not to be mean, but this doesn't look anything like a WWI film) Assuming that you meant the video to take place during WWI, I would like to point the historical inaccuracies. I don't know a whole lot  about WWI (I find WWII more interesting), but I am pretty certain (actually, completely certain) that there weren't any beach landings. The countries all just got themselves stuck in a stalemate in the middle of Europe, nowhere near the coast. Most the time fighting was spent in trenches (especially near the end of the war). There was nothing to do with beaches. The other thing would be the uniforms and weapons, which are not accurate either. Next time you might want to use rifles and more primitive firearms. There was no camouflage, the uniforms were just olive drab green. The could also use helmets and backpacks.

The ANZAC's became known for their beach landing at Gallipoli during WW1 mini/wink Besides, basing something on reality doesn't make it fact this is still a fictional film.

Edit: Also, the uniforms and weapons were all I has.

Kieren Barnett wrote:

The ANZAC's became known for their beach landing at Gallipoli during WW1

Ok then, I stand corrected. mini/XD

Still, this didn't really resemble a WWI film. Of course, It is definitely hard to capture the atmosphere with the few military-ish minifigs LEGO gives us.

Last edited by PushOverProductions (May 30, 2014 (07:39pm))

no more brickfilming *sad face*.