Re: Coldplay- Viva La Vida

Darkman wrote:

Probably the best animated LEGO music video sinds Captain Bulldog's Lonesome Heroes.

mini/yes

You're one of the greatest brickfilmers of all time... I'm not kidding.

-Cinematography: 8/10
   -Music: 9/10
   -Animation: 8/10
   -Effects: 8/10

→OVERALL: 8/10

I don't get these jokes. Same with Squash on KG's video, maybe it's funny to some people, but I don't see the point. Saying random stuff which isn't true is silly.

So sterp.

You know you like it. Anyway, my joke was about a film that didn't take itself seriously at all, so I feel like it was appropriate in that case.

Now... Viva. This a tough one for me. I'd say the film's main draw was its technical qualities- which in a music video, is almost to be expected, but I think there were ways you could have kept this from happening that weren't explored. The execution of the lyrics was, I agree, painfully literal at times. Like others have mentioned, it was obvious at some points that you had started this project two years ago. The paper guitar didn't help a ton when the visuals did lag (although you did rectify that a bit with the GIANT HAND). That said, when the visuals were at their peak, they were fantastic. All the recent animation was excellent. The brick effects were awesome, and they alone made the film worth watching, personally. Ultimately, I wasn't blown away by the film, but it had some brilliant shots, and I think it's fantastic that you persevered for two years and got this out in the end. It would have been a shame if none of the later stuff had been filmed or released. I think it's almost a guaranteed hit with the Coldplay fans.

AWESOME!!!!!!:D mini/bigsmile 5 STARS

GAMEH0R5E

"today i fell and rubed my knee on the rug and slamed my face into my class door coming from spanish going to home and then recces"- Stephen in the chat room

Onion wrote:

I don't get these jokes. Same with Squash on KG's video, maybe it's funny to some people, but I don't see the point. Saying random stuff which isn't true is silly.

You're going to have a rough life with that line of thinking. Lighten up.

Anyway, that was quite good, NXT. As others have pointed out, the video followed the song a bit too literally at points, but that's just a minor complaint. The animation was generally very good, and the brick effects were clever, and I'll totally be stealing a few of them for my films.

One question, though: why did it take two years to make this? I'm genuinely curious.

Ya, why 2 years? And the paper guitars are kinda meh.

The video was truly amazing, i loved every moment of it, the entire video was literally mind blowing, you my friend are one of the best brickfilmers i have ever seen mini/bigsmile

Last edited by rafaelbisinoti (July 29, 2011 (06:07pm))

KG wrote:
Onion wrote:

You're going to have a rough life with that line of thinking. Lighten up.

Anyway, that was quite good, NXT. As others have pointed out, the video followed the song a bit too literally at points, but that's just a minor complaint. The animation was generally very good, and the brick effects were clever, and I'll totally be stealing a few of them for my films.

One question, though: why did it take two years to make this? I'm genuinely curious.

On occasion, yes, but with something like this, which is serious, it's kinda unnecessary.

On a different note, I've now watched it 6 times. mini/bigsmile

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Onion wrote:

On a different note, I've now watched it 6 times. mini/bigsmile

I think I have, too. xD
Amazingly, the song's not stuck in my head and causing annoyance, it just floats in every once and a while and seems quite nice.
mini/smile
I'm so glad that it isn't an annoying song. xD

Old Scratch is going to have trouble measuring up to this next time he does a music video. Haha

Yeah, the literal interpretation of the lyrics (St. Peter won't call my name = AWW MAN now I gotta build hell) was probably the main crit I would have with this video. But there were enough cool / creative / original things going on with the animation that I still enjoyed it. I noticed that the story appears to take place in Ontario, Canada based on the last shot, haha.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

This Is Amazing!

I have always loved that song, and I feel that your interpretation of it is spot on.  The moods you set with the various scenes, the effects, the pacing... were just perfect. When Coldplay sees it, I'm sure they'll be very pleased.  Great job!! mini/bigsmile

Now for my full review:
This was excellent and brilliant! mini/bigsmile I was dumbfounded at how amazing this was. Half way through, I said to myself "Wow, this has got to be his (NXTManiac) best Brickfilm ever, in fact, probably one of the best brickfilms ever!" The sets were built very well, too. And Coldplay's 'Viva La Vida" was a nice choice for this Brickfilm. Overall, a solid 6/5, yeah, a 6.

-LASF

Thanks for all of your comments!! All of the great feedback is overwhelming, I'm so glad you guys like it.

Sméagol wrote:

St. Peter won't call my name = AWW MAN now I gotta build hel

When you have a chance to turn a castle into hell, YOU'VE GOTTA DO IT. mini/bigsmile

Timothy R wrote:

Too bad you didn't have the BrickForge musical instruments for this, hehe.

I wanted to make the guitars look like the actual instruments from the 2008 tour (if you look up Jonny Buckland Viva/Guy Berryman Viva you will see pictures of them with their guitars), so generic brickforge instruments didn't really appeal to me. I understand that some people might not like it, though.

Hazzat wrote:

Everything in the video was very literal, much more notably so for the first minute, and this is a shame.

I totally agree. I know this is many people's biggest gripe with the film (even mine), but it allowed for some cool visual effects mini/lol. If I were to redo it, that's the one thing I would change.

MadBrick wrote:

Now we can place bets to see how long it will be before Coldplay notices this.

You can't begin to imagine how happy I would be if that happened. mini/delirium

J.TProductions wrote:

I tweeted this to Coldplay, btw.

Hopefully they see it!! Thanks!

KG wrote:

Because I am lazy and procrastinate. I worked on a lot of other brickfilm projects during those two years, and often just didn't have time to animate. It definitely took a while to make this though, regardless of the other projects.

Smeagol wrote:

I noticed that the story appears to take place in Ontario, Canada based on the last shot, haha.

mini/mrgreen

I love all of you.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

If you were lazy then you would have dumped the project.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

NXTManiac, that was amazing. Not only did you nail the easing and set design (hardest parts of making a video) but you also were not afraid to animate hard to do scenes...you are very skilled and not lazy at all. Very good job this video should go viral mini/bigsmile

OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! That was awesome! I hope Coldplay sees it, because that was awesome!

My only gripe was the paper guitar ... if only Series 4 Minifigs were there 2 years ago, you could of used the punk rocker guitar. Still really awesome though.

9.5/10

-Rob

Hello BiM! Not making a comeback but may surf the forums time to time

- www.spankthatdalek.tumblr.com -

By the way, I actually got "first" on this video. haha.

SithSerenity wrote:

By the way, I actually got "first" on this video. haha.

And not a single turd was given that day.

Still have to write a full review, but for now all I'll say just to comment is that I was fairly impressed with some parts, and not so much with other parts. Great work!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

Wow! I watched this several times today, and I'm just blown away. You've created a masterpiece, NXT; it's definitely something you should be proud of.

Just a few things that I noticed and didn't like:

1. As several people already mentioned, the paper guitars didn't look very good. However, I understand that it was hard to construct good guitars out of LEGO, and I don't really blame you for using paper.

2. Toward the end, there was a very visible reflection of a greenscreen in the red and orange bricks that made up the fire.

3. In the last shot, the planet's studs were clearly "un-smoothed".

But even though there were several flaws, this is still a fantastic brickfilm. It's definitely one of my favorite films, and I hope you'll make more that are as good as this one.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/StudioL30/Random-Pictures/youtube.jpghttp://www.majhost.com/gallery/StudioL30/Random-Pictures/sitelogo.jpg