Topic: Darren Hayman - My Dream Train

Directory Link

Darren Hayman - My Dream Train

YouTube
Director's Cut on YouTube
Darren's January Songs Tumblr

Darren Hayman wrote, recorded and released a new song every day in January 2011. This was the 31st, and this is the video I made for it.

I got in touch with Darren midway through January and we agreed that I'd be doing the last video, that it would by 90bpm and that it would feature trains. That's all I had.

I started work on the animation about a week before the song was written and heard the finished version for the first time at 1pm on the 31st. The video was cut, edited and lip synched a little before midnight. Hence it's a little rough in places.

Re: Darren Hayman - My Dream Train

The whole thing seemed a bit hokey, but well-done. I'm impressed with how well it all worked when you started without lyrics.

I'm actually going to have to concur with Jargon. I found the mouth animation slightly odd, even somewhat choppy. Maybe it's because I'm used to your usual brilliance, but I just felt this didn't do you justice. That being said, the quality of the camerawork, and the set design made it very entertaining. I especially liked the train's interior.

Last edited by Onion (February 1, 2011 (01:47pm))

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Although I can't say it was your best work, as usual it has fantastic production values. The train station design was nice, and as a fan of LEGO trains I am pleased that you have featured one in your film. Nice work.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

At some point I'm going to go back and finish it off. The last few hours yesterday were a mad rush and I didn't get chance to do any eye or eyebrow movement, which makes a big difference. And the mouth animation definitely needs work. It is what it is though.

That was delightful. Nicely done, sir.

Mk1 Coaches for the win!

Yeah I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon/train and say I don't think this is up to your usual standard (we all go there though).

Having been doing some facial animation tests myself I know what you mean about the eyebrows, and I feel that you needed more mouth shapes to ease between each phonetic sound more smoothly.

In other news the sets and lighting were stellar as always. I think the animation felt slightly more choppy than usual.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Totally agree with Sean here. The facial animation was choppy, but it has already been established that you were rushed. I can't wait to see the polished version though.

The only thing that wasn't really well done was the mouth animation. Other than that, it was beautiful IMO. Animation and sets were my favorite part in particular, your sets always amaze me.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I hated the song (no offense) and loved everything else.
The set design was most appealing as was the fact you lip-synched it all in a few hours.

The set design was exceptional, probably my favourite part of the film. I'm amazed by how fast you were able to sync and animate the faces, it takes me forever to get a single shot done with animated faces. Kudos to you. mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

anaivanovicmaria wrote:

Thanks for your Information

mod edit: link removed

I found this comment summed up the film in a delightful manor, exquisitely mixing the good and bad of this film into a simple few lines. It really added a new level of depth into the conversation, saying something that has not been approached before when discussing brickfilming.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Conversations with spambots are rarely productive.

Who says I was being productive? Or even trying to engage in a conversation?

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Um, you did. By, y'know, talking to it.

Do we have to put you in the solitary confinement room again? mini/tongue

Darren's releasing everything from his January Songs project on CD/DVD soon, so I went back and fixed up some of the things I wasn't happy with in the face animation. It's not a whole lot different but he's now blinking and stuff. And check out the reflection of his face in the train at the end - BOOYAH! In your FACE that one guy on youtube who left a snarky comment!

BOOYAH!