Topic: Quadratic Formula

Directory Link

Quadratic Formula

YouTube

I had to do a math assignment, and one of the options was to make a video, so this is obvoiusly what I did. It took a lot of effort (mouth animation always does), and a visible increase of quality can be seen throughout the video. I only had a week to do it though, so it's not perfect by a long shot.

I made the mouths by first off, importing the MLCad file of the head/heads I want to use the face from as a .3ds into Blender. Then I adjust all of the shading and lighting (make sure to select the No Specular option in the lighting panel. I forgot to do this with the first clip, and it was chaos, as you can see.) Then, after everything was all lined up, I used Papagayo (I HIGHLY reccomend this if you ever do mouth animation), and I duplicated the face, and put each face on a different layer, and shaped every single face to what it's pose looks like. Then, it's a simple (but painstakingly slow) matter to carefully line up the face each frame to fit perfectly, and swap the resting position with other mouth shapes. Then I just maked everything in CineGobs. You might think this dosen't work at all, but if you load a background image that's the same and only do stuff in the rotoscoping panel, it works fine as a masking tool. I hope this helps,

-BG

Last edited by BGanimations (May 10, 2010 (04:47am))

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

Re: Quadratic Formula

Well done, but the voices were a bit quiet.  Also, the voices of a few of the characters were a bit agitating, but that's just our opinion. mini/wink
Overall, it was an enjoyable short.  The mouth animation was good (though not very smooth), and the sets were quite good.  4/5

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

Yeah, the reason the mouths weren't smooth is because I'm way too lazy to make frames in between the mouth shapes. Although, as Hazzat said, I can get away with it 'cause it's for a school project and it doesn't have to be perfect. mini/tongue

mini/frustrated  Well I sure got a lot of feedback.

Sorry man! That was a really nice project you got there! The voices were a bit quiet as The brothers said, and there was that problem with the faces that you mentioned in the start. Also, if there was anyway to apply a texture to the face so it looked more AE type and stand less out on the face that would have been awesome. What I mean by this is when you look at the teacher's face it stands out a bit, so that kind of diminished it a little (but not much!). All in all I liked it! 4.6/5 BTW was this 24fps? It seemed a lot like 15 mini/wink

-Tejas VIM

Haha, I enjoyed that video thoroughly. Not only did it have people singing the quadratic formula, but it also highlighted a few of the common mistakes when using it. I thought the face masking was done fairly well, but when the student is reciting it, his eyes moved around a little. Still, well done.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.  - Berthold Auerbach

@VIMstudios - I'm not sure, I didn't even bother trying to use the node editor to do anything with it, but I think I might be able to. What exactly is an AE type though?

@Spades - That's because I was being stupid and accidentally rotated the faces back down to prevoius positions. And you have no idea how many times I had to mask out seperate things, wether it was a face, the CGI fire, or an additional Indian because I only have one. mini/tongue

And I wasn't meaning to sound rude or anything, but it seems like whenever I post movies or other topics, I'm always having to continually bump then up again just so that I get enough input on what I should do better, when everyone else gets lots of feedback.

BGanimations wrote:

I'm always having to continually bump then up again just so that I get enough input on what I should do better, when everyone else gets lots of feedback.

I don't get much either for that matter, but I guess its all in the fame, I personally love your vids and usually come to most of your threads. Whereas not many people come to many of my threads. For the exception of 2 one my sister made (grrr) and one on higher level frame averaging. So don't sweat it.

Although it's kind of a splap in the face when you make a thread and then someone else, who happens to have much more popularity than the other, makes a thread in the same section, and then it's like every single person goes to that thread and ignores the other one made by the less popular person. It shouldn't matter who made what thread, but most people still think that if they comment on a more popular video some of the popularity will rub off on them. Though not everyone likes to admit it, the world is still extremely biased, (I hope I spelled that right mini/sweat ) although in a more subtle way. Not everyone does that though, so don't take this personally if you aren't biased.

It's true, it's pretty easy to get lost in the never ending chasm of brickfilms especially if you post at the same time as one of the biggies.  So I thought I'd put in my two cents, even though I know nothing about blender and all that computer stuff mini/tongue

The faces and mouth animation generally looked good.  I thought the faces stuck out too much compared to the actual heads. When there was white on the face it was particularly noticeable.  I also agree that the mouth movements looked a bit choppy.  Adding those extra frames would be nice, but I really have no idea how much more work that is.

Besides the faces, I thought your animation was quite good.  Nothing that fancy, but aside from a couple bumps in the beginning, it was nice and smooth.

BGanimations wrote:

Although it's kind of a splap in the face when you make a thread and then someone else, who happens to have much more popularity than the other, makes a thread in the same section, and then it's like every single person goes to that thread and ignores the other one made by the less popular person. It shouldn't matter who made what thread, but most people still think that if they comment on a more popular video some of the popularity will rub off on them. Though not everyone likes to admit it, the world is still extremely biased, (I hope I spelled that right mini/sweat ) although in a more subtle way. Not everyone does that though, so don't take this personally if you aren't biased.

I agree! I post a video and I get about 2-3 comments saying "awesome". And that's about it.

olol

I rearwy, rearwy like dinosaurs. Or something...

I enjoyed the film, too.  If I were a math teacher I would definitely show it to my class!  Also, as you pointed out, the typical student would not notice the errors that brickfilmers notice.  Nice job! mini/smile

I like the troglodyte at the end

What's a troglodyte? Sorry, but I have no idea what that is at all.

Thanks for all the critique guys, it's better to have a peoperly reviewed film (though that dosen't mean you can't still post. mini/tongue ) And now that I think about it, I have the worst timing for releasing my brickfilms. I release them either right after or right before there's at least one really popular video coming out.

That was quite enjoyable. I love how the caveman gets it right. mini/XD

The animation was pretty good, and so were the face effects. But they did look rather odd on the kid in the beginning. Good storyline, I like the idea, you jumped from time to time just at the right speed I think. The sets were decent and I liked the fire you had.

Overall a very enjoyable short. mini/smile Keep it up! 9/10

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

BGanimations wrote:

What's a troglodyte? Sorry, but I have no idea what that is at all.

Thanks for all the critique guys, it's better to have a peoperly reviewed film (though that dosen't mean you can't still post. mini/tongue ) And now that I think about it, I have the worst timing for releasing my brickfilms. I release them either right after or right before there's at least one really popular video coming out.

google translate lied to me mini/troll ! I meant caveman (thanks to ScypaxPictures mini/XD )