Topic: Early Mornings

Directory Link

Early Mornings

YouTube

Well, after many hours of hard work, here it is. Came out like I was hoping it to. I hope you all enjoy. It isn't my brightest video yet, hopefully my future ones will be much better. mini/smile

Anyway, cheers!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

Re: Early Mornings

Incredible. Other than Microphone problems and a pretty fast framerate, this was astounding.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

The only thing I absolutely hated about this film is that it follows the trend of making films to barely make any sense at all, thus making it dramatic mini/wink

Everything else, other than the microphone, was superb.

4/5

Eh, I have to say I was nonplussed.
The plot was thin at best and I had some problems with the main character's dilemma: For one thing, it was a bit short considering the magnitude of his decision. Also, it seems like it would have been better to show his thought process rather than telling it via self-narration.

The Purple situation was problematic as well. On a most basic level, why would her character be named Purple if nothing associated with her in the film seems to be actually purple. Secondly, we says that she ceases to operate once the sun comes up, yet the outside shots seem to be quite well-lit. Also, she mentions that Dan discovered her . . . but not how. The medication comments suggest some sort of heightened mental awareness, but the issue is never satisfactorily addressed. Also, not knowing why Dan is needed, we can't understand/appreciate what he's going to do, leaving us with less investment in his decision.

Lastly, and I hate to say this, I didn't think your voice acting helped the emotional weight of the moment. It was a bit overdone, which made it harder to take things seriously.

I know I've really picked things apart here and I hope it's not discouraging. The reason I want to go into detail is simply because I think you can do better. All in all, it's not a bad short, flaws and all. I hope to see your storytelling continue to grow.

Me has prepaired rebuttles for Jargonz:

(qoutes aren't working today it seems)

Jargon said: On a most basic level, why would her character be named Purple if nothing associated with her in the film seems to be actually purple

Um, firstly, just before the sun comes up or just after it sets the sky turns purple-ish (mainly in the opposite direction to it), just after being that dark-blue and black of night. Have you ever been up just before the sun comes up? And also, the name doesn't nessecarily need to be tied into the role. He could have called her 'Toby' for all it matters.

Jargon said: Secondly, she says that she ceases to operate once the sun comes up, yet the outside shots seem to be quite well-lit.

I didn't know the sun came up THAT fast, it was just dark. Once again, have you ever watched a sun set or rise? There is an orange-ish light that is there just before the sun gets over or below the horizon, which accounts for the ORANGE-ish light that is lighting the set.

Jargon said: Lastly, and I hate to say this, I didn't think your voice acting helped the emotional weight of the moment. It was a bit overdone, which made it harder to take things seriously.

Scypax has said to me before that he knows that he isn't the greatest voice actor, but in this not to the extent that it can't be taken seriously.

I think the idea was that it was just a gut feeling he had to do whatever she wanted him to do, half the drama was the mystery as to what was really going to happen. Also, you didn't notice the stuff about "Things are always different at this time of day," and "IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD!" I think the idea was that he could sense her, and that's how he 'found' her.

Man, I must sound like an angry fan.

I know I've really picked things apart here and I hope it's not discouraging. The reason I want to go into detail is simply because I think you can do better. mini/tongue

No hard feelings.

siggy
Legospaceman's YouTube channel!^Click to watch!(old vid)^]

I'm probably bad at reviewing so I'm just going to say everything that comes to my mind like a retard
Well, first, the lightning was really nicely done and set the mood right. A little too bright sometimes but nicely done.
The voice acting, to me, was decent.
The soundtrack I thought was a good choice. You broke somefilmrules, but it didn't really bother me. The atmosphere was right.
I knew why her name was Purple, after you told me, but this wasn't clear enough to understand it, so it's not a mistake by you, just not obvious enough.
and is that a Jack darter poster ?
Uhm, the set was nice and large.
Anyway you did a good job on making a 5 minute plus film with only talk entertaining. It just seemed to me like you made it because Stars was succesful. Even though this isn't true. I liked the titles in the beginning " John Lucewich's Early mornings ",I liked that, but the titles at the end were unnecessary.
My biggest critique is that Dan was sleeveless, wich made him look like a gay sailor.
But nice film, just not your best work
3.5/5

What was that last part supposed to be? mini/confused

EDIT: Directed at LSP

EDIT: Directed at legospaceman. Sorry, all these lego related new members are getting hard to keep track of.

Last edited by Spudster (April 16, 2010 (11:37am))

Who's LSP? Ok then Sportster, I just did what he did but just to his post, not his movie (That sounded like I was getting back at him for something, but I was not), so I qouted him.

- lsM

Last edited by legospaceman (April 16, 2010 (12:57am))

siggy
Legospaceman's YouTube channel!^Click to watch!(old vid)^]

legospaceman wrote:

Um, firstly, just before the sun comes up or just after it sets the sky turns purple-ish (mainly in the opposite direction to it), just after being that dark-blue and black of night. Have you ever been up just before the sun comes up? And also, the name doesn't nessecarily need to be tied into the role. He could have called her 'Toby' for all it matters.

I considered that. It just seems like if that's what her name refers to, it should have been present in the actual early morning of the film.  You point about names is generally true, but when an unusual name such as 'Purple' is used, it tends to reveal something about the character in question.

I didn't know the sun came up THAT fast, it was just dark. Once again, have you ever watched a sun set or rise? There is an orange-ish light that is there just before the sun gets over or below the horizon, which accounts for the ORANGE-ish light that is lighting the set.

It still seemed too bright for pre-dawn morning.

Scypax has said to me before that he knows that he isn't the greatest voice actor, but in this not to the extent that it can't be taken seriously.

I didn't say it couldn't be taken seriously. I said it was harder to do so.

I think the idea was that it was just a gut feeling he had to do whatever she wanted him to do, half the drama was the mystery as to what was really going to happen. Also, you didn't notice the stuff about "Things are always different at this time of day," and "IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD!" I think the idea was that he could sense her, and that's how he 'found' her.

I guess you and I disagree here. In my opinion, the drama was more focused on his decision to either reject the offer and live normally or follow his destiny with Purple. If the focus was wondering what would happen, then it was inherently unresolved and unsatisfying. I did notice those moments (I watched through the video multiple times) and I agree that they were suggested to be the cause, but it's vague and the nature of those feelings is not explored to the extent it could have been. I'm not sure if I'm expressing my opinion clearly enough here, but feel free to respond.

I know I've really picked things apart here and I hope it's not discouraging. The reason I want to go into detail is simply because I think you can do better. mini/tongue

Touché. mini/smile

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that I liked the animation. While most of the film was dialogue, I thought Dan's angst was expressed well through his movements.

Hm... I do very much enjoy the weird side of film, but this was sort of meh. More could have been explained while still eaving questions. This film also bore a strange similarity to Stars, with the whole "Taken away by an unearthly force" idea behind it.

I still enjoyed it though.

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY

Ludvig on YouTube wrote:

This was easily your best video John.
The animation was really smooth.
The voice acting from both you, and mommy monkey was superb.
The script was really good, and you managed to keep me awake as always.
Overall this was a great film, that I really enjoyed

@jargon

Thank you for taking your time to write that review Jargon, it shows that you are at least somewhat interested with the film. But I can't help myself from seeing flaws in your "flaws". Now I know this film is FAR from perfect, and it does have a few flaws, but nothing really story wise...besides the fact it should of shown where he went or something. mini/tongue

Now I have nothing wrong with criticism, since it is only meant to help out. But I have certain issues with your second paragraph. Quite honestly, if I were to judge by that alone, I would think you weren't paying any mind to the film at all. First off, the name thing I can see being easy to miss, so I have little comment on that...as for the "don't work in the sun" thing, well, that clearly wasn't the sun outside. Unless they use time travel...or ride the sun...or something like that. I'm just pointing this out, since she is SAYING they don't work in the sun, clearly the light outside is something completely different. And the sun has more effects than being bright. The funniest line from your review:

"Also, she mentions that Dan discovered her . . . but not how."

I suggest you watch the film again, and this time, pay a little more mind to it. Because it is explained. In fact almost everything is just about explained in the dialog. But seriously, they kinda point out how...even in a direct way in one line. Why Dan is needed is also explained...

Okay, I don't want to make this a mile long. So I will stop now. mini/XD

But if this film really confused you (which is surprising because I was trying to make this one viewer-friendly) I will just have to work harder on my storytelling indeed. Maybe I should have them stop, look at the camera, and explain what is going on---Lol, jk.

As for all of you who liked it, Thank you very much! I know it isn't my best, but just an idea I really wanted to make. And Aaron, stop listening to that darn music while watching movies mini/tongue

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

I thought it was really good, but took itself a bit too seriously.

The atmosphere was extremely well set up. After the bells stopped ringing at the start, the prolonged silent made me want to poo my pants (which is a good thing*). Seriously.

It got a bit confusing towards the end, but I didn't want to pay too much attention to the plot due to the great atmosphere.

*Pooing your pants is not a good thing, but being able to create a movie that makes the viewer need to poo their pants is a very special talent indeed.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Probably your best film yet. The animation was much better than Stars.

I'd have to agree with Hazzat on the whole pooping my pants thing.

The only thing I didn't like is the ending. I was kind of hoping to see what would happen. It's just too DANG MYSTERIOUS. >:I

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Nice one Scypax, I really liked it. Like Hazzat said, the atmosphere at the beginning was set up very well and the whole film had a nice creepy feel to it. 4/5

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

The

Just_a_Minifig wrote:

"Taken away by an unearthly force"

thing was too much IMO. In Stars it was okay, but I think that it doesn´t fit in the film. Also, at the beginning, the body reflected the light. Except these, the atmosphere were great and you did a great film.

4.5 /5

http://imgur.com/qO642.png

I actually did poo my pants.
Though that may just be my bowel problems.

Dog

http://i.imgur.com/Vghri.png
I'm back. Possibly.

I hate to be another person to write a review about the flaws, or lack of interpretation of the film, but here I go. (This review is kind of spewed from the few notes I took)

First off, I'll mention the things I didn't enjoy about the film. He gets up and looks outside and says the mornings are different. I really don't see what's different about the morning at this time in the film; outside is just dark and has no life to it, nothing seems "renewed," which is further mentioned in the movie. He mentions that he is on medication, but it never tells what for. From the back-story on this you are given it seems like he's hallucinating all the time, and that everything is "in his head." Dr. Banner, or whatever he's called, could be some drug dealer or something putting him on LSD and the whole movie is just a really toned down acid trip. That last sentence was sort of a joke, but I just had to. I wasn't a big fan of his mini freak out at the start, but it did seem to give the story a little more depth.

Purple. I don't understand. Why, "Purple?" The mornings don't seem purple to me, they seem a little more golden to me. When she says "Dan" for the first time, if I was Dan, I'd freak out at the fact someone just entered my house from nowhere. I wouldn't respond with, "Who are you?" I'd kinda be like WTF?

Purple then explains a little saying, "We need you, help us," (or something in that context) who's "us" I really don't see who "us" is. Does it refer to the human race, more morning gods, or just Dan and a couple more people on acid trips? Just kidding about the acid trips, but still, who's "us?" She also mentions, "Don't work in the sun." She's clearly standing in direct sunlight from the window at the time.

Here's one of the things that's really getting at me, Dan seems to be incredibly pressured with going with this Purple chick, but he has no clue what he's going to do. So why is he stressed? Yes, he seems torn between regular life, and doing whatever Purple will do. But he says he'll miss this chance, what chance is he missing? The viewers aren't informed on what they will be doing at all, so you can't feel the pressure of the moment the scene tries to imply.

I think that's all I have for negativity on this video. The parts I did like, is the work with the lighting. The sun from the window, the beautiful transition to the end credits with the screen glowing to a white was really well done. The voice acting was also pretty good and Purple did sound rather mysterious, which added to the film. I also loved the bells at the start, and whenever Purple was around or when he could "sense" her; it was just so cool mini/bigsmile

In conclusion, an overall good film, but really not my tastes, I'm sure it would appeal to others. Rating: 6.2/10

If it seems like I've been beating on your films, lately, fact is that I'm not. I'm just not a fan of videos mainly based on dialogue so much. I like action, not words. mini/tongue And now, I must go and rest my poor hands from typing such a review.

The film was well animated, great lighting, and like others have said, the bells were a great touch!  It felt a little too serious though.  I was a little confused because many of my questions were unanswered (why did Dan feel the way he did?).  I think there needed to be more background to Dan's life and more information about what he was going to be doing if he went with Purple (was he wavering between going with Purple and staying home because he would be leaving everyone and everything behind if he went with her).  I'm not sure why she was named Purple?  I know all of these things have already been said.  Please take it as a little constructive criticism.  Even though the story line had some problems, everything else was great!