Topic: For Your Consideration: Post Possible 2008 BAFA Nominees! [CLOSED]

Simply put, the last year for brickfilmers has been very chaotic.  That said, we are a hardy bunch, and we will move forward.  Accompanying us will be the BAFAs.  Film Brain created the BAFAs in 2007 as a replacement for the dead BAMPAs.  Now, Film Brain has passed control on to me.  As a first order of business, I must ask for your help.  Because the last year featured the two (briefly three) different brickfilming websites, one with a frozen film directory, it has been a little more difficult that usual to keep track of the films released in 2008.

This is where you guys can help me.  Please post in this thread which films you think should be nominated for the BAFAs.  Please link to the films, and in some way prove that they were released in 2008.  Yes, you may post your own films.  Please note that posting a film in this tread WILL NOT automatically admit it into the BAFA nominations.  Instead, the BAFA Judges will use this thread as a resource to decide what they think the best films of 2008 were.  Films not posted in this thread will not be excluded from the BAFAs.

Thanks!

Last edited by Nathan Wells (January 18, 2009 (01:00am))

Re: For Your Consideration: Post Possible 2008 BAFA Nominees! [CLOSED]

First off, welcome to the new site Nathan, glad to see you're with us again. mini/wink
My thoughts:
Best Film: Unrenewable, bySméagol Entered into FAR.
30 Years, by Nathan Wells Made for Go MINIMAN Go!
802.701, by Go! Le! Go! I'm pretty sure this was made in 2008. I don't have proof though.
Playback, by David Pagano Made for the Nicktoons contest.

Best Animation
The New Neighbour, by Maxime Marion No proof, but I know it's 2008.
30 Years, by Nathan Wells Made for Go MINIMAN Go!
Playback, by David Pagano Made for the Nicktoons contest.
802.701, by Go! Le! Go! I'm pretty sure this was made in 2008. I don't have proof though.

NXTManiac

Last edited by NXTManiac (January 17, 2009 (07:19pm))

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

NXT, 30 Years can't win as Nathan Wells is the judge!!!

Best Film: Unrenewable, Smeagol; Glimpse of A Downfall, Matt Gillan; Mass Media in a Changing World, Jeremy Markowitz

Best Animation: Moronic, VN; Mass Media in a Changing World, Jeremy Markowitz; Unrenewable, Smeagol

Thats what I came up with off the top of my head.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

DanimaionMovies - Gerald the Genie.
This will TOTALLY win.

mini/blankexpression

OK, serious now.
Maxime Marion - The New Neighbour
Unrenewable - Sméagol
Moronic - VN
Glimpse of A Downfall - Matt Gillan

Last edited by Danimation (January 17, 2009 (09:47pm))

In no particular order, here's some films I think should be considered, in various categories:

Horse - LegoShark
Pierre & Luigi - Nick Durron
Go Miniman Go - David Pagano
Playback - David Pagano
Pirates - cannedgravy
Breathing Space - Leonardo812
An Unlikely Hero - Sean
802.701 - Go! Le Go!
Tender Family Moments: Reading is FUN! - James Morr
The New Neighbor - Maxime Marion
Glimpse of a Downfall - Matt Gillan
Bill Carney's Body - Nikolas Jaeger
Jane's Brain - Chris Salt
Air Hockey - maronislego

Also you might check out this thread.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

guys, you have to post links, so he can watch the films. well, most of the films I would like to say, have already been said, but I'll post.

Unrenewable - smeagol studios
Moronic - VNanimation
An Unlikely Hero- Brickhead productions

http://i.imgur.com/kmwjd.png
[10]]

Bunnies-Olson Studios
Moronic VN

THose are just two, but there are many more!

Yechi Hamelech!

Philip, that thread is VERY helpful, thank you.  Hopefully that archive will remain around for a little bit.

Everyone, keep the films coming!  Right now isn't the time to be commenting on which films should be allowed or not, that's up for the BAFA judges to decide.  And hold your questions for now, I will be posting a new thread in a few days where hopefully your questions will be answered.

http://www.mindgamestudios.com/images/misc/aotsa-fyc.jpg

mini/tongue

mini/lol

Nathan, when you say "Please link to the films, and in some way prove that they were released in 2007." you mean 2008, right?

The Quest For The Blood Diamond II

I probably wont win something with it but it would be cool if it got nominated.

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I have no idea about what films were released last year, so I won't be posting about that. I do have a comment to make that is almost off-topic but close enough to be posted here. If a moderator feels that this warrants its own thread, please split it off and place it in the appropriate forum. Likewise, if there is already a thread about this somewhere else and I missed it, a link will suffice and this post can be ignored as being off-topic.

My comment: what are the categories for the BAFA's this year? Personally, I'd simplify them, and have three core categories: Overall Best Film, Overall Most Enjoyable Film and Best New Director.

Overall Best Film (or something like it) simply means "the best brickfilm of 2008". The best story, the best technical qualities, the best music - basically, the film we'd all strive to make.

Overall Most Enjoyable Film is similar, except that there is less emphasis on quality. We (the community) have, over the last three years, moved to being extremely critical about brickfilms - to  the point of being snobbish about them. A "most enjoyable film" is something that makes you laugh, makes you want to tell all your friends "watch this!" and generally makes you feel good - whilst ignoring light flicker, muffled sound, grainy image - the stuff that makes us as directors wince.

And best new director is fairly self-explanatory. Of the people who released a brickfilm for the first time this year, which one shows the most promise.

I'll be quiet now. mini/smile

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

Gizmodo were talking about posting ALL the "Go Mini Man Go" entries. I'm sure there would be a few wild cards in there.

Also does a brick film need to have a story? Or would say a music video with lego bricks have enough merrit?

For example:
The White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl It's mostly digitised video convert to bricks, but it's cool all the same. (Yes I know that was 2006, but it was just an example)

I also made this music video during 2008. The set involved a year of planning and 3 people spent 5 hours setting it up.
AFX Lego Racing 2008 (Fastest Lego in town)

Check out "The Bulls New Caravan" my THAC 6 entry or visit the Bodville website.

In no order:

Moronic by VN
Unrenewable by Sméagol
Glimpse of a Downfall by Matt Gillan

These are some of the best, but there are tons more. I just don't feel like writing them all.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Everyone, I think you should try to avoid repeating the same films. We know all the obvious frontrunners at this point; you can help by providing some lesser-known films that you think deserve to get in.

A few not already mentioned.

Assassin - Sean
Weltraffer - nichtgedreht
Pirates - Doug Vandergrift

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/COTB/FunkyJunk/RUMBLE/mg.jpg

unrenewable - smeagol
moronic -VN   

mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile

Project Secret

pizzaboy wrote:

unrenewable - smeagol
moronic -VN   

mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile

Night Owl wrote:

Everyone, I think you should try to avoid repeating the same films.

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

In no particular order

Gaston's Odyssey
Smeagol's - unrenewable
Nathan Wells - GO MINIMAN GO - 30 Years: The Story of the Minifigure
Paganomation's Playback
Golego's - 802.701 Part 1 (english subtitles)

Having said that I really liked Gastons Odyssey film, that would be the one for me.
It should be pointed out that I really dislike foreign language films with subtitles, but this is the exception, it is just brilliant.

Last edited by Si665 (January 18, 2009 (08:47am))

Bill Carney's Body - Night Owl
Point of No Return - Schlockading
I Walk the Line - Captian Bulldog
Spirit Stompers: The Reunion Brawl - Captain Bulldog
Social Experiment - MindGame
Deal - Darkman (Especially for a Best Voice Actor nomination mini/wink)
Draw - Shale

That's all I can think of right now. Hopefully one of my films gets nominated (although I really doubt it).

Website YouTube Twitter
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mruqon.jpg
Check out my live action directing debut, The Day That Never Comes