Topic: I really Need some help Please some feedback and some views can help

First of all my names Addrian N now i love lego first of all im 17 and i got alot of lego i enjoy watching stop motion movies and stuff and i really wanna learn to make them as well firstly ill just tell you all the programs i have.

I have Gimp 2.6
I have cooledit 2000 for sound editing.
I have MonkeyJam for editing frames.
I have Sony Vegas 9 for editing.
And i have After effects CS4.

im happy with what i got im still learning to use after effects and sony vegas but my main concern is with the actual pictures itself im not worrying about the editing im worrying about the sound and frames itself.

When i say this i mean just yesterday i made an awfully short lil movie as a test it was 118 photos now what i mean to differ is with this i wanna make the guy be able to talk and not for the pictures to move to fast for each frame as in example if he moves his hand up and all of a sudden its gone in a sec i do my frames 15FPS but i still struggle i just wanna know do i have to take double shots? or triple shots? of the same photo to be able to make it more realistic when he talks? instead of it going way to fast? like how do you guys do it? i really would like to know please if you can help i will credit you all for it thats a promise.

Thanks everyone.
Addrian N
Generalned

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21

Re: I really Need some help Please some feedback and some views can help

You need to slow things down. You didn't say what camera you have, but if it's capable of shooting video, film yourself talking. Play the footage of yourself back, look at it frame by frame, and you'll see that you move to emphasise certain words and you stay still the rest of the time. When you do move a hand, see how many frames it takes you to make the movement.

Basically, it's just a matter of taking some time and practising. Personally, I wouldn't bother touching After Effects until you've nailed the stop motion side of things.

He's right. Btw, use a bit more punctuation. It increases readability a lot. mini/smile

Last edited by Tryxx (February 8, 2011 (01:16am))

click->youtube - twitter - vimeosoup

ok thanks oldscratch i gotta say im honoured that you replyed to me i love your videos im a big fan im favored many like Star Wars: Reservoir Squads and the lego red vs blue they were classics mini/tongue

Oh also my camera is a digital camera 12megapixel pentax optioP80
It features:
#12.1MegaPixels
#4x Wide angle optical Zoom
#HD Movie (30 frames per second)
#Face Recognition. (32 Faces)

Also just to ask you OldScratch how did you do those particular 3 films i pointed out? could please explain i really wanna learn i read your tips but yet i am still a little lost ill explain to you the part im particulary lost with ok you said i should film it right? but by filming should i record it after that short film and by filming i wont be able to move the hands right so what do i do there? im sorry for being a pest but there alot of your vids that i am deadset dedicated to and i really wanna be something like you any information on what i just asked would be great oh and when you say film the footage of yourself do you mean the lego or me in person?

Tryxx thanks for the friendly tip ill keep it in mind next time not there was a problem reading it was there..?

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."

So is the animation going by to quickly? In that case, try taking a lot more frames with only slight movement in between. So instead of maybe 3 frames for the arm movement, you could take 6 frames, maybe even more. That will make your animation much smoother and slower.
Or if you're taking enough frames, try slowing the frame rate. 12FPS isn't as bad as it may seem. It's not as fast as 15FPS but it's still ok.
I hope I helped.
JTP

http://tinyurl.com/24rqc2p
http://tinyurl.com/2fo79mjhttp://tinyurl.com/29wkd5hhttp://tinyurl.com/2f9tw29
Sig by RealBrick. I now make sigs, avatars and YouTube backgrounds free of charge! Just PM me, titled one of the options.

J.TProductions wrote:

So is the animation going by to quickly? In that case, try taking a lot more frames with only slight movement in between. So instead of maybe 3 frames for the arm movement, you could take 6 frames, maybe even more. That will make your animation much smoother and slower.
Or if you're taking enough frames, try slowing the frame rate. 12FPS isn't as bad as it may seem. It's not as fast as 15FPS but it's still ok.
I hope I helped.
JTP

Yes it did help thanks though i still seem to struggle if i may differ just to ask is it possible for you to like a little demo even if its 5 seconds long? just to explain to me what you did to get say like if you took 30 pictures then you did 15FPS how could you possibly get someone to speak even if you could do the hand movement and all my real problem is the audio though yes it is the frames but the audio oh so kills me but for the audio to work it does need the frame i do appreciate your support though if you can make a lil tutorial on what you have said it would be oh so much appreciated mini/bigsmile

Addrian N
GeneralNed

Generalned wrote:

Also just to ask you OldScratch how did you do those particular 3 films i pointed out? could please explain i really wanna learn i read your tips but yet i am still a little lost ill explain to you the part im particulary lost with ok you said i should film it right? but by filming should i record it after that short film and by filming i wont be able to move the hands right so what do i do there? im sorry for being a pest but there alot of your vids that i am deadset dedicated to and i really wanna be something like you any information on what i just asked would be great oh and when you say film the footage of yourself do you mean the lego or me in person?

When I talk about filming yourself, I mean actually point the camera at you in person and film live action video of yourself making the movements. When you look at that video of yourself, you can break it down and see how to do the same movements with a minifig.

As for how I did those films, for Red vs Blue, I opened up a copy of the RvB episode in Vegas and reproduced each shot from the original with Lego. The others are just regular stop motion.

Tryxx is right, BTW. More punctuation would go a long way.

Shooting on twos is used by most professionals, it was used for bob the builder, and Walace and Gromit I believe. If you do that you'll want to double the frame rate. The good thing about shooting on twos (that is, shooting two frames at a time) is that you can delete one out, and have certain bits go faster.

I'd recommend something on the Free software list before buying anything.

Generalned wrote:

you can make a lil tutorial on what you have said it would be oh so much appreciated

Check out this by Fancypants if you haven't already. Its a crucial part of any animation. Also perhaps get some books from your local library, about timing and editing. But first I'd sort out the animation, then the editing. Putting a test in the 'WIPs and Tests thread' will let us see how we can help you.

Hope this helped. mini/wink

Ok, yes. I will try to make a tutorial. Is it timing the audio with the animation you are having trouble with? Because if that's the case. I can help.

Sig by RealBrick. I now make sigs, avatars and YouTube backgrounds free of charge! Just PM me, titled one of the options.

0ldScratch wrote:
Generalned wrote:

When I talk about filming yourself, I mean actually point the camera at you in person and film live action video of yourself making the movements. When you look at that video of yourself, you can break it down and see how to do the same movements with a minifig.

As for how I did those films, for Red vs Blue, I opened up a copy of the RvB episode in Vegas and reproduced each shot from the original with Lego. The others are just regular stop motion.

But oldscratch what do you mean i dont understand how that would help wouldnt it be the same if i was shooting the lego without putting myself in it would it not be the same? :S and when you say you put the red vs blue dvd into vegas did u cut the video then just keep the sounds?
Thanks OldScratch

Addrian N
GeneralNed

Filmfire96 wrote:

Shooting on twos is used by most professionals, it was used for bob the builder, and Walace and Gromit I believe. If you do that you'll want to double the frame rate. The good thing about shooting on twos (that is, shooting two frames at a time) is that you can delete one out, and have certain bits go faster.

I'd recommend something on the Free software list before buying anything.

Generalned wrote:

you can make a lil tutorial on what you have said it would be oh so much appreciated

Check out this by Fancypants if you haven't already. Its a crucial part of any animation. Also perhaps get some books from your local library, about timing and editing. But first I'd sort out the animation, then the editing. Putting a test in the 'WIPs and Tests thread' will let us see how we can help you.

Hope this helped. mini/wink

ThankYou Filmfire96 it was a bit of a help but my main concern was more the audio part of stopmotion no i know how to record audio i no how to export and import it i know how to do it and all its just the though of putting it in the right pace for a lego video i have been trying for a long time i just dont seem to get it i dont wanna give up i really wanna learn all im saying is like in all good lego videos the audio is perfect to the arm movements of the actual lego speaking. Thats what i wanna learn that is my main concern. But thankyou for the video i have seen it before but i forgot about it thanks for bringing it back up fancypants is a great lego stopmotioner thanks again mini/smile

Addrian N
Generalned

J.TProductions wrote:

Ok, yes. I will try to make a tutorial. Is it timing the audio with the animation you are having trouble with? Because if that's the case. I can help.

If im thinking what your thinking YES! that would be fantastic thankyou!!! like with your update vid the way you put the voice while she moves her arm and stuff that kind of thing a lil tutorial on like just explains on the best way to put audio and how to put it in by explaining how frames would be nessessary for like a 3 second speech or something but im sure you know what i mean if not whateva you think will be fine ill let you know.

but thanks Jt i enjoyed your Thac8 entry it was funny mini/tongue

Addrian N
GeneralNed

0ldScratch wrote:
Generalned wrote:

But oldscratch what do you mean i dont understand how that would help wouldnt it be the same if i was shooting the lego without putting myself in it would it not be the same? :S and when you say you put the red vs blue dvd into vegas did u cut the video then just keep the sounds?
Thanks OldScratch

Addrian N
GeneralNed

Ok, I will make the tutorial soon. It will be with Sony Vegas Pro 9.0, is this ok? And would you like a screencast, with me talking, so you can see what I'm doing, or pictures with text?

J.TProductions wrote:

Ok, I will make the tutorial soon. It will be with Sony Vegas Pro 9.0, is this ok? And would you like a screencast, with me talking, so you can see what I'm doing, or pictures with text?

Either would be fine but i would prefer screencast with you talking as i can listen as you do the frames thxc but if you wanna do pics and texts its ok but i think ill understand more with you talking thxc!

Addrian N
GeneralNed

Holy [mod heart attack].

In the future: one post, with individual sections addressed to all intended recipients, and there's no need to quote entire posts. And if you want more than a select few members to read it, punctuation would be a good start. Your writing is so unintelligible that if you're actually the age you're claiming, I'm mildly frightened for the future of our planet.

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

Noodle wrote:

Holy [mod heart attack].

In the future: one post, with individual sections addressed to all intended recipients, and there's no need to quote entire posts. And if you want more than a select few members to read it, punctuation would be a good start. Your writing is so unintelligible that if you're actually the age you're claiming, I'm mildly frightened for the future of our planet.

Noodle I made this forum for people who intend to help me not put me down i dont know if you have been mistaken but oviously you must be please do not troll other peoples forums thread as really its childish i dont need people like you and others telling your spelling and crap is bad i dont care mate i can read it fine, what cause what i wrote thxc instead of thanks?

Please if you wanna help the future of Forums don't Troll other peoples Forums just a friendly tip thanks!

Generalned, you should listen to Noodle. Your posts are rather difficult to read and it's a waste of space to quadruple-post, especially quoting someone else's full posts each time. You're pretty new, and it's understandable that you're learning how things work around here - just try to put a little more thought into each post. mini/smile

Considering you just called me a childish troll, I don't even know why I'm bothering to be civil, but...

Of course you can read your posts--you're the one that wrote them. For everyone else, deciphering your posts is a chore. Is it possible to read them? Yes, if you work at it for a while... but most members (especially the older, more experienced ones with the most advice to offer) have no desire to do so. We're not requesting that you follow forum protocol to insult you... we're trying to get you the most (and best) help the site has to offer.

But whatever. The fact that you responded in such a patronizing manner shows that any continued discourse on my part is a waste of metaphorical breath.

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

Oi!
Break it up, you two!

http://i.imgur.com/lZUQ9.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/9CQIM.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/YZLtR.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ICcjc.png