Topic: Torch test

Youtube or 720P download

I did an animation test with a fig walking with a lit match as a torch, not as successful as I had hoped, but I think I could make it work if I add a fill light.

Last edited by SlothPaladin (February 11, 2009 (12:04am))

Re: Torch test

Pretty good for a first run with real fire.
A little shaky at times. Maybe if there was a way quickly light the match, take the frame and blow it out?

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

the match flares up a lot when I light it (I am using one of those BBQ lighters) I think I need to let the flame get small before taking the frame.  I also managed to light the hat on fire in one frame, so next time the torch will be held higher. (you can only see it if you walk through the quicktime file frame by frame)

A quick note to anyone that wants to try this, don't do it without adequate ventilation, this created a lot of smoke even though I had a fan blowing it outside.

.....the might start melthing mini/mrgreen

Project Secret

I dont get it, you used a new match for every flame? I dont think this is a very good idea, as the flame was way to big for lego scale.

Yechi Hamelech!

Yes, one match every frame.  The point is there is a real light on set, casting real shadows which is something I love, scale is not something that really concerns me that much, but I do thing that I could control is a bit better, this test makes it clear that the match cannot be the only source of light.  I never ask people to take my LEGO movies seriously (I don't) and I think the small scale of the minifig is part of the charm. I am interested in making the lighting very, very pretty, and if I can get a real torch in the hands of a minifig lighting up half of him and putting the other half in shadows that seems like a real win as far as I'm concerned.  I really feel that there is a huge lack in onset lighting in almost all LEGO movies, and that makes me sad, lighting is the funnest part of the cinematography.  I'll probably upload a new test Saterday unless I'm feeling super energetic before that.

You should film the match with a green screen, moving it with a single attached lego hand (which is moved by your hand) and not use stop motion so it runs smoother. Then layer your figure walking and the match together and it would look sweet.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

mini/mrgreen Green Lego Man mini/mrgreen

I !@#$ing hate green screening, a lot.  And that would defeat the point of having an on set light.  Besides when you film something light based like fire, you film it against a black expanse, it would look really bad done with green screen.  I would have done another test if I wasn't really sick, so right now I'll just lay around with a box of tissues and a lot of tea and give it another go when I'm feeling better.

I'm trying to get away from digital effects as much as possibly, mostly becouse my standards for them are really high and I dislike making them (and don't trust anyone else to do them for me), the more I can do on camera the better.

Last edited by SlothPaladin (February 15, 2009 (05:11pm))

Didn't your mother tell you not to play with matches? I thought the flame was great, actually. So what if it's not exactly to scale; Lego is disproportionate all the time. More frames needed though.