Topic: RE: Locking of the Movie Caption Contest

Read this carefully

Night Owl, not only are to taking away our fun and laughter - you are also depriving us of our right for free speech, which is a violation of America’s first amendment.

If we were to have movie captions on the Caption contest, everyone would just start putting in movies, and not Brickfilms, thus ruining the whole contest. Your solution to the problem that you have started is both stupid, and unnecessary.

I demand that the Movie Caption Contest is UNLOCKED immediately. Just because you, Night Owl (and there are a few other moderators who operate like this) feel that the topic is unnecessary, DOES NOT give a justified reason to completely lock the topic.
Maybe if most people were asking for the topic to be locked, or pointing out that we already had a Caption contest, you would be justified. Maybe if the topic was just being spammed up, I would understand. Alas, neither is the case.

This site is now so heavily moderated, censored, and filtered, that it is almost an exact replica of Brickfilms.com. If you lock THIS topic, you are proving my case. We appear to have too many Cheifs, and no Indians in this community.

Thank you for listening to my protest. I hope you will take your time to read it, and think carefully about this situation.

-MRB

Last edited by Max Butcher (February 2, 2009 (01:10am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

Re: RE: Locking of the Movie Caption Contest

I was just thinking the other day what it would be like if Night Owl wasn't a moderator.

Ahhhh, no more random locks on threads...

Thank you very much for saying this, Max Butcher.

Last edited by filmyguy (February 2, 2009 (01:15am))

Firstly, the correct approach in situations like this would be to PM Night Owl and the other mods, not post on the forum. Secondly, you can't possibly know if anyone reported the thread - just because people don't actually post "this sucks" on your thread doesn't mean nobody thinks it sucks. Thirdly, locking your thread is not a denial of your freedom of speech. You are perfectly free to set up your own forum and open as many movie caption threads as you like. Fourthly, the internet != USA, so your amendments and consitutions aren't applicable anyway.

I could go on.

Thank you 0ldScratch.

Firstly, the correct approach in situations like this would be to PM Night Owl and the other mods, not post on the forum.

Of course. I shall do that now. Its quite easy to find Night Owls user (I dont even have to search!)

Secondly, you can't possibly know if anyone reported the thread - just because people don't actually post "this sucks" on your thread doesn't mean nobody thinks it sucks.

Because no-one would have actually participated in the contest if they didnt like the idea of it, and this kind of forum would have wanted to openly display their unhappiness, as I'am doing now.

Thirdly, locking your thread is not a denial of your freedom of speech.

Depends what kind of thread it is. I understand the movie Caption contest is not one, but if this thread were locked, that would be a deprival of free speech. Its a pretty weak arguement, I know, but I need as many points as I can get.

You are perfectly free to set up your own forum and open as many movie caption threads as you like.

That wouldnt work

Fourthly, the internet != USA, so your amendments and consitutions aren't applicable anyway.

True, my ammendments are as effecttive as if Ice skating was allowed on the moon. However, my other arguements are perfectly valid.

I could go on

Please do.

I will not rest untill my arguement is taken seriously. You can defend all you want, but in the end, it is Night Owl I desire to talk to, not you.

-MRB

Last edited by Max Butcher (February 2, 2009 (01:45am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

Well first of all, Max, you filed a report instead of sending me a PM.

Second of all, I'm not going to lock this thread. Don't assume I would do something that stupid.

The situation is simple; the other moderators and I have decided to be a lot stricter when it comes to the Coffee Shop forum. We don't want it to become a black hole that sucks up people's time. I think I had a pretty clear reason to lock the caption contest, even if you disagree with me. I also think that my proposed solution is reasonable. I'm sure that you would be able to work out a balance between feature films and brickfilms, especially since you seem to feel strongly about it.

Lastly, don't take this out of proportion. All we're doing is locking some threads, and we're doing so openly. We're not deleting threads and posts, or editing what people say without indicating it in the post. We're trying to do what's best for the community, not our own interests.

Just because a moderator finds a thread pointless, doesn't mean everyone does.
A moderator's personal opinion isn't the whole community's.
I'm on Max's side.

EDIT: I know some threads deserve to be locked, but NightOwl has gone a bit overboard.

ANOTHER EDIT: I don't want it to look like I don't like NightOwl, I just disagree with him on this subject.

Last edited by Danimation (February 2, 2009 (11:21pm))

It starts with 1 game thread...

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I agree with night owl.

Night Owl wrote:

Well first of all, Max, you filed a report instead of sending me a PM.

I beleive I did both.

Thank you very much for stating your case, and contacting me here.

I wish for us to attempt to solve this matter, however. I suggest that the Moderators must always consult other moderators before locking threads for a start, and also have a guidline for threads that should be locked.

I understand you are just doing your duty, and desire nothing but a better community. Thank you once again for contacting me.

Darkman wrote:

It started long before this

-MRB

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:
Darkman wrote:

I think Darkman's point was that if one pointless game gets through, people will think they can post theirs.

Riley wrote:
Max Butcher wrote:
Darkman wrote:

I think Darkman's point was that if one pointless game gets through, people will think they can post theirs.

sorta like Riley said but not pointless games.

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

DELETED

Last edited by Legoman182182 (August 4, 2023 (03:27am))

mini/sad

It starts with one off topic image. Then lots more get posted.
It starts with one innuendo and then the whole topic gets out of hand. (Name That Frame topic)
We're trying to do what is best for the community, so that we don't lose focus.
We're trying to keep the forums somewhat family friendly, because the target audience keeps getting younger by the generation.
We're not trying to be total fun suckers. We did keep the "Name That Frame" topic open. It can be fun and inspiring without adult content.
In the end, it's up to all of you if you want to promote the hobby and make this forum a better place.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Max, shush! Night Owl might decide to lock the NTF topic too, and then I won't have a place to knock down my rapidly rising IQ.

I agree with Winkyburger, however. The MCC was unneeded, and, honestly, all the captions posted in the short time it was alive were pretty lame.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Legoman182182 wrote:

This is a private forum, the owner of whom owes you nothing. As a representative of the owner, Night Owl can do whatever the hell he likes and tell you nothing about it. Claiming that Night Owl broke the first amendment (when I'm not even sure he's American) is rather rediculuous.

I wrote:

True, my ammendments are as effecttive as if Ice skating was allowed on the moon. However, my other arguements are perfectly valid.

Riley wrote:

Ah, I get you. Thanks for clearing that up.
I suppose

Littlebrick wrote:

I agree with Winkyburger, however. The MCC was unneeded, and, honestly, all the captions posted in the short time it was alive were pretty lame.

Maybe if it had more than a day to kick off, it might have been amusing. However, that is not the case, so we are likely to never know.

-MRB

YouTube
Max, She/They

For the record, I am American.

I'd just like to thank Night Owl.

DanimationMovies wrote:

Just because a moderator finds a thread pointless, doesn't mean everyone does.
A moderator's personal opinion isn't the whole community's.

No you're right a moderators opinion doesn't necessarily belong to the whole community. The moderators are chosen due to their judgements and opinions. Night Owl deemed the threat unworthy and pointless. Night Owl's judgement are of course not going to reflect the opinions of the entire community but that doesn't matter because he is moderator.

Last edited by RP Hoogle (February 2, 2009 (10:48am))

Darkman wrote:

Way back in the early days of Brickfilms.com (2.0).  Someone started up a quiz game thread and it grew from there.  It was acceptable then, as it was a quiz on brickfilm knowledge (What did Bluntman say to the monkey?  How tall was the stone monster in The Gauntlet?  etc.).  More games gradually came out of that, including the active Caption thread.  Of course, the community segmented, as the posting of non-Brickfilm related games became more acceptable, it being argued that the community forum allowed for non-Brickfilm related material.  This triggered more random thread, because everyone wanted to start their own games (I, myself, was an advocate of the photoshop threads).  Unfortunately, too much random thread has spawned and continues to spawn, unhindered by the older moderators.  Perhaps it is because of that that many right now are not used to the stricter enforcement in the non-brickfilming forums.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

DELETED

Last edited by Legoman182182 (August 4, 2023 (03:29am))

mini/sad