Topic: History Discussion Thread (Not About the BiM History)

LMP wrote:

I was about to go into discussion about my 21 paragraph Jamestown paper but then...

...here's the chance! This is the thread for discussing various historical topics. Some of us here would find it interesting, I know I would.
Go for it! mini/smile

Rules:
1. It is not allowed to talk about the history of BiM, even though it is quite interesting, for there is already a thread for such disscussion.

2. It is okay to discuss contraversial topics, so long as the flaming is kept to a minimum, and no racist comments are posted.

3. Consider others. We all have our own opinions and such. You should respect others opinions, as do I, even if they're completely wrong.

4. No sexually explicit content. Refer here for a complete list of guidlines on how to carry yourself about the site.

5. Stay on topic, and support other's disscussions. Have at least half of a page for the disscussion of a historical topic. 1 page is equal to 10 posts.

Last edited by Living LEGO (October 21, 2010 (10:03pm))

Re: History Discussion Thread (Not About the BiM History)

I've been to Jamestown before. The historical areas ofcourse.

Phew, and i thought this was another "split" thread. I'd love to contibute, but I've only been alive for 15 years, so I haven't been through much history. 9/11, War in Iraq (which was pointless- I see a discussion about this in the near future), and.... yeah. Carry on.

Brickfilmer a decade ago, now looking to relive the glory days mini/smile

DerTarchin wrote:

Phew, and i thought this was another "split" thread. I'd love to contibute, but I've only been alive for 15 years, so I haven't been through much history. 9/11, War in Iraq (which was pointless- I see a discussion about this in the near future), and.... yeah. Carry on.

You can talk about other history events as well, you don't have to have been there. The point if history is to understand why certain things happened in order to not make the same mistakes again.

I live about 10 miles away from Naseby, which was a key battle in the English civil war. It ultimately let to England becoming a Republic and the execution of the king. Unfortunately republics are worse than monarchies when no one regulates them, so after Christmas was banned and a few thousand Catholics were burned alive it was decided we should have a Monarch again. So they got some guy in and that's how we got to be a Constitutional monarchy. Unfortunately mince pies are still illegal.

vik wrote:

The point if history is to understand why certain things happened in order to not make the same mistakes again.

But it doesn't always work. I read about the glorification of terrorists almost every day. It's sad mini/sad

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

vik wrote:

The point if history is to understand why certain things happened in order to not make the same mistakes again.

That's not always the case,

Cartoonkid98 wrote:

I read about the glorification of terrorists almost every day. It's sad

And other times, it's just fun to read about dead people's lives. mini/cat

TDogg186 wrote:

I live about 10 miles away from Naseby, which was a key battle in the English civil war. It ultimately let to England becoming a Republic and the execution of the king. Unfortunately republics are worse than monarchies when no one regulates them, so after Christmas was banned and a few thousand Catholics were burned alive it was decided we should have a Monarch again. So they got some guy in and that's how we got to be a Constitutional monarchy. Unfortunately mince pies are still illegal.

Mince pies are illegal?? I indulge in hundreds of mince pies every Christmas mini/confused

Lg Productions
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd413/Lgmaster6/TheBoxManSigniture.jpg

Lgmaster wrote:

Mince pies are illegal?? I indulge in hundreds of mince pies every Christmas mini/confused

As do I. Its also illegal to play football on Christmas. But because of the time and effort needed to change a law no one ever got round to it. Luckily neither of these laws are actually enforced. And I'm sure there are loads of other stupid laws dating back to the dark ages.

Hahaha, I thought that someone unlocked that split thread.
Sooo anyways... my little Jamestown paper. I had to fill out a question sheet with answers from this website about almost everything about Jamestown and the Powhatan Indians. I thought it was very interesting, but the videos almost made me go to sleep at times. It turned out to be about 5 pages, though being in the eighth grade that's a lot for me. I suggest you go check out the site, because it's pretty cool despite the videos.

-LMP

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DaLegoMaster/Other/brook_signature.png

Can I tell the story of how I fended off one hundred vandals on a wiki? True story.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

Uh, sure?

Well, I did indeed revert and ban one hundred vandals on the same day. Subsequently, I was promoted to admin. Such a sight to behold...and then I led the wiki into peace and prosperity.

For hell's sake maggosh, why are you so obsessed with Kingdom Hearts?!?!

Childrens characters swinging large keys around with Japanese teenagers?! It's got 'pedophillia' written all over it...

Brickyman wrote:

For hell's sake maggosh, why are you so obsessed with Kingdom Hearts?!?!

Childrens characters swinging large keys around with Japanese teenagers?! It's got 'pedophillia' written all over it...

Hey, stay on topic. [/hypocrite]

I can think of far more pedophilic (what? that's not a word?) things than Kingdom Hearts - although I know loads of people who have a disturbing obsession with anime/manga. But here's the guy who makes animations with LEGO.....

Anyways: Yeah, History. I dont know where to start or what to talk about though (yes, my post has contributed greatly contributed to this discussion!) And I cant think of anything non-flammable. I guess I only remember the controversial stuff......I'm weird.....

YouTube
Max, She/They

Contraversial items are welcome, as long as you don't support Hitler, or express any racist views.

I found this interesting.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18679_5- … flaws.html
mod edit - contains moderate language

Pretty interesting...
It would be nice though if you would post the story on the thread along with the link.

DOUBLE POST:
New rules have been posted.
First topic: The abolishion of slavery in England

I think that this is quite an extraordinary true story, which has been revised into a great movie, "Amazing Grace".
What are your thoughts on this?