Topic: Silence

Directory Link

SILENCE

Youtube
Vimeo

Some people say that a movie isn't complete without its soundtrack. Is that true? Can you really build atmosphere and tell a story with only visuals? (And not in an 'Avatar' sense....)

This movie was originally going to have all colours saturated out apart from red (like in the thumbnail and signature), hence the odd choices of where the colour red is placed. I was unable to find a way of getting this effect, and I really didn't want to beg someone else to do it for me. Maybe one day when I actually start using visual effects I will release the movie the way it was originally intended to be.

Last edited by Max Butcher (October 4, 2010 (11:41am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

Re: Silence

Some choices for the camera position were interesting, and the story was easy to follow. I'm not going to say sound would have helped: instead, I think complete silence helps me concentrate more on what I'm watching. At the start, no sound felt a little strange, but at half movie I got used to it and was fully immersed in the film. Good work again.

It was entertaining, although I was a little confused as to how he got in the situation.

The animation was nice, I liked the fast paced style. The lighting was rather bland though which sorta took away from the visuals.
7/10

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

The lighting wasn't given too much attention due to the original plan to saturate the movie of all colours apart from red, and having really low lighting would have made the image too dark.

I guess the moral here is dont plan to do an effect if you cant get the effect.....(anyone know how I can do that effect?)

YouTube
Max, She/They

You could select by color and invert then delete frame by frame in GIMP.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Hmm...

I'm terribly sorry to say, I didn'y quite enjoy this as much as your usual work...

But, interesting concept, and nice story...

Cartoonkid98 wrote:

You could select by color and invert then delete frame by frame in GIMP.

Yes, all 3100+ of them....

It would work though. I tried it with the thumbnail image and the signature, but it would take forever to do each individual frame. I suppose you could just grey-scale the images that dont have any red on them, but even then you would still have to edit over 50% of the movie frame by frame. Thanks for the suggestion though mini/bigsmile

YouTube
Max, She/They

Well, I don't know what video editing software you have, but you can do it a couple different ways
One is if you're using something like Final Cut or any editor where videos can be composited in separate layers. For each clip, have two layers of the same thing, the same clip: The top layer you would use the chroma keyer to take out the red. The bottom layer would have the exact same 'key', but inverted, thus taking out all but the red. Thus, you could put a desaturated filter over the top layer while the bottom layer (of red) stays in color. In FC you can simply copy the filters from one clip to all the others, so you would only need to do it once, for example. I don't know about other editors.

Regardless of the above, I quite liked the film. I certainly agree, without sound editing I as a viewer am forced to comprehend what I might normally dismiss as illogical or too complicated to bother following. Plus I always love 'circular' stories where the end meets the beginning mini/smile

http://theduckcow.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/design_flaw.png
Moo-ack Productions! Latest release: "Design Flaw"~Patrick W. Crawford

Thanks very much for your advice -  that may do the trick. I dont use Final Cut, but I will try that method elsewhere (I'm sure other software's are capable of using layers of chroma key). And thanks for your feedback!

YouTube
Max, She/They

An interesting idea, that was a little hard to understand.  Some of the visuals were amazing, but were dampened by poor image quality, sadly, as your sets were exceptional.  I really enjoyed it.  I can tell you put a lot of thought and work into it.  Some of the camera angles were dizzying though.

A strong 3.5/5

My Blog]       Flickr]        Twitter]        YouTube]
"Eh" - Bertl

4/5