Re: Septemberfest 2010 Contest [CLOSED]

And I can't enter it mini/blankexpression

Don't be fooled, my avatar is a facade of conformity.

Brain Wave wrote:

I'll try my very best to enter, school starts on the 2nd for me though mini/sad

School started for me last week, and I expect that to hinder myself very little from entering.

http://theduckcow.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/design_flaw.png
Moo-ack Productions! Latest release: "Design Flaw"~Patrick W. Crawford

3.    Not contain adult language, excessive violence or sexual themes.

No adult language at all? Where is the line drawn with this because i wouldn't shy away from using strong language, so long as thought it was appropriate for the film. And I would rather know what is acceptable before i make an entry rather than after i am disqualified.

6.    Include the BrickScope logo/site URL in the entry's credits.
•    All entrants of Septemberfest 2010 contest are entitled to 5% off any orders with free shipping on minifigs, animals and minifig utensils or body parts. To claim this discount, provide your BiM forum username and the name of the contest film you are working on in the order comments section on BrickLink.

I am grateful that BrickScope is sponsoring the contest and all. But... i feel like being forced to advertise BrickScope on our films is unfair. We are getting nothing in return other than a 5% discount off their products. That means that they are not only Making us advertise their shop but  are also trying to get our money aswell. Chances are I'm not going to use that 5% discount anyway, so then BrickScope will have a permanent advert on the internet while I sit in my room working out how many hours of my life i spent working on a film, just to let a company capitalise on it. At least with Dailymotion/ YouTube they will give me something in return (I.e. Video hosting). I'm really not impressed with this rule at all.

TDogg186 wrote:

No adult language at all? Where is the line drawn with this because i wouldn't shy away from using strong language, so long as thought it was appropriate for the film. And I would rather know what is acceptable before i make an entry rather than after i am disqualified.

No profane language at all is acceptable.  The idea is to make entries that anybody here could watch and not be offended by.

I am grateful that BrickScope is sponsoring the contest and all. But... i feel like being forced to advertise BrickScope on our films is unfair. We are getting nothing in return other than a 5% discount off their products. That means that they are not only Making us advertise their shop but  are also trying to get our money aswell. Chances are I'm not going to use that 5% discount anyway, so then BrickScope will have a permanent advert on the internet while I sit in my room working out how many hours of my life i spent working on a film, just to let a company capitalise on it. At least with Dailymotion/ YouTube they will give me something in return (I.e. Video hosting). I'm really not impressed with this rule at all.

It doesn't have to be a huge effort of featuring of them throughout your film and credits, just a brief logo/url at the end of the credits or something.  This has been so common in past contests (many entrants do it without being asked) that we figured we might as well include it as a small incentive to the sponsor for providing prizes in a smaller contest like this one.

If we find that rule is one that a lot of people have a problem with (guessing not), we might try to do without it in future contests, though.  Having it there does make sponsorship a little more enticing.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:
TDogg186 wrote:

No profane language at all is acceptable.  The idea is to make entries that anybody here could watch and not be offended by.

But that raises the question, what defines profane language? Does that include all offensive words, including some of the most commonly used curse words, (the thing that blocks a river, and atch ee doublehockeysticks come to mind) or is a line drawn somewhere that only excludes more offensive language? (i.e. f-bomb, slurs, etc..)

I'd say if it's questionable like any of that, just avoid using it for this contest, yeah.

I really don't think you should make the rule so that you may not make your entry public until after judging. Because it is fun to root for people who you think should win.

Last edited by RealBrick (August 21, 2010 (01:28pm))

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

I'm inclined to agree; I didn't notice that in the writeup and I'll contact Sean about it.

TDogg, you are getting something in return for BrickScope's sponsorship; namely, this contest and an opportunity to win product. If it's such a bother to you, create two versions of the video, one with the logo and one without. You can enter the logo'd video to the contest (perhaps even set it as private to avoid confusion) and promote the other video.
It wouldn't be worth the trouble to me, but to each his own.

Actually I said "duh" because I shouLd have read the instructions better. I was pretty much calling myself an idiot

lil'jj wrote:

Actually I said "duh" because I shouLd have read the instructions better. I was pretty much calling myself an idiot

You need to choose your smileys better. mini/tongue

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I think he missed the mini/cat.

TDogg186 wrote:

i wouldn't shy away from using strong language, so long as thought it was appropriate for the film.

In the case of a personal film, I agree. However this is a contest where rules and regulations have to be applied. Smeagol's way of summing it up, that pretty much anyone should be able to watch it and not be offended, seemed pretty good.

RealBrick wrote:

I really don't think you should make the rule so that you may not make your entry public until after judging. Because it is fun to root for people who you think should win.

It's a very fair point, and I'll update the original post.

Last edited by Sean (August 21, 2010 (09:39pm))

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

I'm hoping to be able to enter! I'm working on a project now (I wouldn't really call it a film), but I think that it could be finished up quickly.

Yeah... It sounds very interesting and I am quite sure to be able to enter mini/sunnies
One question concerning the logo: Is there a minimum time length it needs to be shown?

PunBB bbcode test

Not really - just use your own judgment. I would imagine a few seconds would suffice.

Entering if I can. I've got homework every day, and piano lessons.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

Sean wrote:
TDogg186 wrote:

i wouldn't shy away from using strong language, so long as thought it was appropriate for the film.

In the case of a personal film, I agree. However this is a contest where rules and regulations have to be applied. Smeagol's way of summing it up, that pretty much anyone should be able to watch it and not be offended, seemed pretty good.

But some people are offended easily mini/confused Would it be "against the rules" to say something like "G.D. it" or "What the hell"? Or would they have to be changed to "Gosh darn it" and "What the heck"?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/daragh2me/Avatarsposters/allworkandnoplay2.png

Try to keep it G, PG at a stretch. If you're unsure, it's best to err on the side of caution.

Barnacles.

Oh well. I'll think of something kid friendly when the theme comes along.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/daragh2me/Avatarsposters/allworkandnoplay2.png