Topic: cartoony animations

ok so i made a film called Philip and the ball, and i tried using cartoony animations in it, i dont know if i did a good job but i love making cartoon movements, anyway i was wondering if any of you had tips for animating cartoony movements. PS im not changing my style, so don't bring it up

also links or guides or anything would help

Re: cartoony animations

Well, to get a cartoony style you have to exaggerate every movement, like to make them "overreact", and here the "ease in ease out" technique is necessary. That's all I can say, I hope that it helped.

thanks

Can we see an example of your animation so that we can give you some feedback, and pointers on where your "cartoony" animation can be improved?

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

When I do cartooney movements, I make the figures bounce a little. Eg: If my figure is sitting down and I want to make him bend  forward, what I would do is: Take the frame of him sitting normally. Move him slightly forward. Move him forward in a slightly bigger increcement. Depending on how fast I want him moving, I might take another frame of him moving about the same amount as the last movement. Take a frame of him moving slightly. Then take a frame of him moving backwards slightly.

This gives it a more bouncy look and it looks very cartoon like.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Sean wrote:

Can we see an example of your animation so that we can give you some feedback, and pointers on where your "cartoony" animation can be improved?

sure, www.youtube.com/user/silents429

go there and watch philip and the balll , and philip and the truck

Yeah, when his head spins round, it could be a litlle faster and have maybe a frame where his head goes back a little to make it look a little better. Overall, though I think it was quite good.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

please dont stop commenting, so this may help others in the future and you may still offer your tips and tricks

Exaggerate your movements. Make them more lively. Make them faster. Drop anvils on people's heads.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Dynamite, LOTS o' DYNAMITE!

Hey, those two films you made were funny, although they do need to be longer.  The interaction between Philip and the ball (I liked the face on it) should have been longer (and sillier) after he got the flame thrower... 

Also - goofy sound effects like "boings" and unrealistic noises like that during the action AND lively/silly background music can give films a cartoony feeling.

thanks alot ill work on them being longer and ill add more sounds effects to it as well

Cartoony animation is the best. Some fun, more advanced things you can do are things like pauses mid jump where the fig reacts to something and then continues to jump. Before a fig starts running have his legs run in place and right before he movies have him do a little hop and then shoot off screen very quickly.

I wish more people would go for more cartoony less realistic animation, these are LEGO after all.

MadLibsProductions wrote:

Dynamite, LOTS o' DYNAMITE!

Bring out the Nobel prize for him!

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

lol thanks for keeping this thread alive guys, and thanks alot for these useful tips, hopfully some animators do intend on using cartoony style animations, its so much fun to watch and make