Topic: Guitars

I realise some (possibly many) of you out there play guitar in some way, and I would like some advice on purchasing a first guitar. I thought this deserved it's own thread as it can also be used for general discussion on playing guitar, though if the mods want to, feel free to move it into the Café Corner.

Basically, I'm looking to start learning guitar over the summer, with the intention of forming a band with some friends of mine. I currently play Oboe (grade 4) and I used to do a bit of piano/keyboard (I got to grade 3), I also have quite a lot of musical knowledge and I got a distinction in grade 5 music theory. I want to start guitar to escape from my so far more classical styles of music and head more in a rocky/poppy style, though I want to be able to play a variety of styles. I'm planning to learn from a combination of books and the internet, with guidance from people I know who play guitar to set me on the right track.

The first thing I want to do is purchase a guitar, but this is where I need some advice. I'm pretty sure that I want to go for an electric guitar as this will allow for the diversity of possible styles, but my brother brought up the possibility of an electro-acoustic guitar, as this would allow for more portability. I'm open to both options, what would you guys reccomend? In the world of electric guitars, I was looking through Amazon to see if there were any reasonable quality starter packs at a low-ish price. Most of them are from brands I've not heard of and don't bring up many results on a web search, so I'm wary to go for one of those. However I found this which seems to be well reviewed, though my mum seems to be wary of the price, and I'm not relying on any of the extras being of a satisfactory quality. We have a couple of amps lying around the house, though most of them are bass amps, but if needs be then I can just buy a guitar and delay on the amp front.

I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on beginner guitars or what you think of the option I've put forward. Budget wise, my personal budget is around £100, but my parents will probably chip in, and call it an early birthday present, so the Yamaha option is as high as I'm (or rather my parents) willing to go at the moment.

Re: Guitars

I'd recommend a Squier Strat or, if you can afford it, an Epiphone Les Paul

I'm using ESP Ex-50 black, and it's awesome guitar, and pretty cheap: 250€. I've played 1½ years and I can play pretty well (hard to say some hard song as they're all pretty easy, but let's say I can play the trooper with second solo ^^).

I would recommend it for first guitar, it looks bad-ass, and it's good. I heard that when you're standing (I still don't have that... thing that allows you stand with it mini/bigsmile so tried only few times) it might have some problems to play, before you find good position. But when you're sitting, no problems.

http://www.axemusic.com/Pictures/esp_ex50_guitar_blk.jpg

Worse forwards than backwards

Motormeat wrote:

that... thing that allows you stand with it

Strap?

roRyL wrote:
Motormeat wrote:

that... thing that allows you stand with it

Strap?

Yeah. Gotta buy one mini/tongue

I've been there CheeseyBricks. About 2 years ago when I started playing, I knew nothing about guitars. Luckily the man from the guitar store was friendly and assisted me with much and I had friends who knew a lot about it. But now onto the tips:

The first guitar I bought was a starter pack from a Belgian brand called 'Stagg'. I came with a guitar and amplifier (both were rubbish) but it gave me an idea of what playing guitar was. A friend of mine wanted to play and bought a Gibson Les Paul with a Marshall amp and played for 2 months and then stopped. You want to avoid that so you better look for a good pack with price/quality.

Maybe try a Cort starter pack, the guitars are decent and so are the amps. You'll find that in the first half year of playing you barely hear or feel the difference between a good guitar and a bad one. You just need 6 strings to practice those chords and riffs.
Thing is starter packs always come with the lowest quality guitars and amps so you might consider buying a guitar and amp seperate. Squier and Epiphone guitars are not that expensive and have a really nice sound and a vox amp will also do the trick. But then again that will cost some more. Playing guitar is an expensive hobby, but in those 2 years I've never regretted started.

I started with a started pack and after a year I bought a Fender Telecaster (which I still play) and a Roland Cube amp. Although I've been focusing on bass guitar more for the past half year. Anyway the most important thing is to find a guitar that suits you. I don't recommend buying one from the internet, but going to a store. Not only because the service is better, but because you can try it. Don't be afraid to try a couple even if you can't play yet, just strum the strings and see how it feels and if you like it. Or maybe bring a friend with you who can play to the store and see how thinks about the guitar.

I hope this helps
- Thomas

Any guitar. Really, if you're just beginning you are not going to need a good guitar at all. Worry about that when you get good.

Thanks guys, I'll take your suggestions into consideration.

Yeah. And the most important of all, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA PLAY? If you're gonna play country, buy acoustic. If you play tr00metal, like me, buy electric (and ofc cool looking). And yeah, you just can buy any guitar. The cheaper, the better for very beginning, for if you don't like it, wich isn't normal, you may be sad with your Alexi Laiho signature guitar that cost 5000€ mini/bigsmile

Alright, you are talking about electric right? If so, then I would start with a cheap Ibanez, or maybe a Squier by Fender. Don't spend too much. You want to make sure you get a good amp though. Oh yeah, and the Yahmaha Pacifica is a good guitar. Matt Bellamy's first serious guitar was a high end Yahmaha Pacifica. But in the end its up to you. mini/smile DP

Last edited by DProductions (August 4, 2010 (02:42pm))

Ive been playing for 3 years and although i was on a limited budget i made the right choices to get where i am now with my guitar career
theres lots of starter squires packs out there whiich i guess would be good for you but according on your budget and yuor oncoming test of dedication Id say buy a fender strat and then a decent amp
Stratocasters American or foriegn made produce great sound for that poppy modern rock feel
Although I don't personally own one Im sure its a great setup for even a begginner
You dont want to spend to much but you dont want to get those no name brands
Currently Ive been focusing on jazz so I have a gibson custom and a crate flexwave 120/212
A good setup for my style
I know different guitars are used for different genres of music So i suggest researching some on your style
Although i beleive and have discovered these past 3 years that an amp is what produces a majority of a distinct sound
As for an acoustic
I recommend it maybe a year down the road because even in todays music acoustics are still influenced to provide that different sound
Hope i helped

roRyL wrote:

I'd recommend a Squier Strat

Used to be 'Caidence'

Simply, first buy an acoustic to get through some lessons (maybe) and find what type of music you want to play. Once your more confortable with the guitar and know what your going to play, buy an electric.

The only reason for this is initially acoustics are cheaper. You just need to buy a $150-200 and not worry about having to spend and EXTRA $100-200 for an amp and $20 for a cable. Unless of course you buy it in a pack, but in this case you might be risking quality of the gear. Also with an electric your limited to where you play. If you go with an electric right off the bat you spending twice that of an acoustic, or you have to skip on quality. The other things is what about the possibility of you not want to play the guitar anymore. You would only have spent about $150 for an acoustic, but about $300-400 for an electric and gear.
The only draw back of an acoustic is that you have to care for it more. You can't let it get to dry or dusty and keep it from hitting things because it will easily crack. An electric is quite a bit more solid and does require so much care.

Motormeat wrote:

Yeah. And the most important of all, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA PLAY?

As I said, I'm probably going to go for a rocky/poppy style. To give you an idea of what I mean, 3 of my favourite bands are Weezer, Athlete and Fun. , so I want a guitar which is quite versatile.

roRyl wrote:

I'd recommend a  Squier Strat or, if you can afford it, an Epiphone Les Paul

What I forgot to mention in my first post was that I looked around in a music shop yesterday, and looked at the range of guitars. The guy there reccomended a Squier Strat, which I had a go on, but at that point I didn't know really what I was looking for in it. Their price for it was £275, though it was in a sale down to £229, and they offered it in a pack for a price that I can't remember right now. So yes Inferno, I have had a look in a shop, but given the price difference between the internet and the shop as well as my limited budget, I'm probably going to purchase off the internet.

Inferno wrote:

a Belgian brand called 'Stagg'

This the one?

Blactich wrote:

The only reason for this is initially acoustics are cheaper. You just need to buy a $150-200 and not worry about having to spend and EXTRA $100-200 for an amp and $20 for a cable. Unless of course you buy it in a pack, but in this case you might be risking quality of the gear. Also with an electric your limited to where you play.

Ah, but if I were to buy an acoustic guitar, but I discovered that I would much rather an electric, then I would end up spending an extra £100 or so, which I want to avoid. Also, we have a few amps lying around (one of them is an Orange) and so I wouldn't have to neccesserily purchase an amp, and I could just start off with a guitar, such as a Squier Strat or whatever.

Cheeseybricks wrote:
Infurno wrote:

a Belgian brand called 'Stagg'

This the one?

Yes, I had a black and white strat.

I looked online for you and found an ibanez starter
Ibanez is a good brand so you should check it out
Link
Other starters

*Bump*

I'm looking at ordering this Ibanez guitar, Would you guys say this is a good choice? I'm happy to pay the money for this one, give it seems to be a reasonably high quality guitar that will last me a while, rather than some cheap beginners garbage, without breaking the bank. From watching youtube videos of this guitar, it seems to give a nice clean sound, which is whaty I will use most, but also has a slightly heavier sound through the humbucker.

I'll probably order it this evening along with the required accessories, so what d'ya think? I won't be buying an amp just yet, as more amps seem to have appeared in our house, and when I need my own, I'll take the guitar into the local music shop and try it out with various amps.

At Christmas I got a Stagg Telecaster. I love it, it's so beautiful.
http://www.counterpointdirect.co.uk/v/vspfiles/photos/W-GTB190C-2T.jpg

I kind of hate Ibanez. I just think they're horrible and ugly and only really fit if you're a metal player. I got my Telecaster second hand for £80 (perfect condition really) and it came bundle with a soft case and picks and stuff.

I also got distinction in my grade 1 guitar exam. So I'm not too experienced, but that was at the start of summer, and I still play every day! I love guitar!

"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

Splash wrote:

I just think they're horrible and ugly and only really fit if you're a metal player.

I wouldn't say that's the case with the particular guitar I'm looking at though.

a) I think it looks pretty darn cool in white

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ubYEu1XXL._SS500_.jpg

b) It makes some rather nice sounds when played clean. Exhibit A

Oh, and congratulations on your distinction mini/delirium , the only distinction I've ever had was in my Grade 5 music theory earlier this year.

I have that guitar, only in black (and with 5 elements), and no, i'm not a metal player. mini/tongue

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''