Re: Café Corner

Well, I have an announcement to make.  Apologies if it comes off as being pretentious or self-important; I hope it doesn't, but I'll understand if you might feel that way.  I guess I'm at a fairly important stage in my life, in which I will probably be a lot less active on this site, and I feel that it's important that I say this to the community that has been a pretty important part of my life these past few years.

I realised, not too long ago, that today is my third anniversary of my joining this site.  When I joined, I certainly didn't expect to end up where I am now.  It's crazy to think how much I've learned and changed, both as a Brickfilmer and human being in general.  And how much things will change yet.

Which brings me to my next subject.  It seems as fitting a time as any to announce that I'm starting University this year.  It'll definitely be the biggest step I've taken in my life thus far, not least since I'll be living on a different continent, thousands of miles away.  I expect I'll be less active here in the coming months.  Unfortunately, this also means there will be no more Brickfilms from me until Christmas, at least.  To be clear, I certainly don't intend to retire; I love Brickfilming and hope to continue it for as long as I can.  (In terms of future Brickfilming projects, I'm hoping to try enter THAC, though I have no idea if I'll be able to.  Also, I've got to finish Seven Assassins at least; I feel I've hyped it to the point where I would be remiss not to finish it...).  Either way, I'll have to see what the future holds.  I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous; I have no idea where I'll end up a year from now, let alone five or ten.

I suppose what I want to say with this rather long-winded post is "thank you" to this amazing community.  Thank you, for being an influence and inspiration (and for putting up with my presence during this time).  The creative energy, advice, and friendship of the members here mean a lot to me.  They have changed my life in ways I could not have possibly imagined when I clicked that "Register" button, three years ago.  And I'm a better person for it.

So, thank you.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (August 12, 2015 (05:52pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Well, sir, it's been great having you around, and I wish you the best.
If you put half the passion and effort into your studies that you have your films, you'll have nothing to worry about.

And thanks for the lengthy goodbye, it's far better than just dropping away in silence.

I wish you the best of luck in school Mr Vertigo. You will be missed.

Mr Vertigo, you have been such a positive inspiration on the brickfilming community. You are no doubt one of the most kind, most well-spoken members here on the site. I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I say that your presence will be missed. 

I hope that your transition into a new environment is smooth sailing and I hope that you will find success at University.

You'll always have a place here. I hope to see you around from time to time mini/smile

On my filmology account, all I'm recognised for is as a director, but I also do most of the voices in my films. I name myself as a voice actor when I edit the cast and crew , but I'm still only a director according to my account page, why is this?

William Osborne wrote:

On my filmology account, all I'm recognised for is as a director, but I also do most of the voices in my films. I name myself as a voice actor when I edit the cast and crew , but I'm still only a director according to my account page, why is this?

What is filmology?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

If you go on your BIM account and scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll find a list of all the films that you have had an involvement in, this includes the films you directed, animated, the films you play a role in, ect... This is called filmology!

when adding your film, there are two places to put names: site-member crew, and non-site-member crew. It seems that you put your name in the non-site-member box, thus it's not linking your name. You have to put your name right below where you add yourself as director.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Thanks! I wanted to make sure I knew what to do before I get another site member to contribute with me mini/wink

William Osborne wrote:

This is called filmology!

Filmography. I'm well aware that this function exists, but when you said 'filmology account' I thought you meant another site. My bad.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Yeh, I should of phrazed it differently mini/XD sorry

Last edited by William Osborne (August 13, 2015 (09:23am))

It's the way of things, Mr Vertigo. (Going off to college and/or the outside world and not making many brickfilms for a while.) Good luck with university, and try not to make yourself too miserably busy with film projects at all times like I did, haha. University should be more of a positive, enjoyable experience than that.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Thank you for the kind words, everyone!  I really appreciate it.

This is definitely not any sort of permanent retirement from here (I feel like you're all talking as if I'm already gone.... mini/tongue ).  I'm not sure how much time I'll have, but I'll most likely still visit and post on a fairly regular basis, as well as keep up with my Welcome Team duties where possible (which reminds me, I've probably been a bit neglectful of those of late).  Unfortunately, seeing as there's a 10-hour or so flight between my LEGO collection and place of study, I don't see any practical way of Brickfilming for the time being.  I'll be back next summer for several months, though, so I should be able to make something then (plus hopefully THAC, as I mentioned before).  Either way, I just really wanted to give a heads-up; I feel like I should let you all should know instead of just suddenly going inactive.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, a trailer for The Hateful Eight has just been released, and it's lookin' pretty grrrrrrrrrrreat.  Another reason to get excited for Christmas, in case there weren't enough already.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

When I went off to college I...took over BiM. But I only made two brickfilms in a 4-year span, by which I mean my failed THAC entry Cashman 2 and an entry for a LEGO video contest.

Hateful Eight looks fun. It's neat to see somebody shooting in anamorphic medium format, that hasn't happened since the 50s or early 60s I think? I'm not a fan of the heavy purpleish hue to the color grade in the trailer, though. But sometimes those things change for the finished film.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Have I somehow got some kind of virus/malware or whatever on my iPhone??! I know that my computer is full of them, because my brother is an idiot, but I'm getting some weird stuff on my phone now. All YouTube ads display this image:

IMGUR LINK

And it runs for 20 minutes it's the weirdest recording of a woman talking in what I assume to be Korean, banging some kind of drum and making strange noises. The blogspot website is all in foreign characters. It's utterly terrifying.

I didn't even know iPhones could get viruses.

The first thing you should probably do is cover up your webcam just in case someone's spying on you. The next thing, uninstall YouTube. Look in your list of apps to see if something is installed that you don't know what it is. Get rid of it. Then, reinstall YouTube. You might also want to go to your Google ad settings and clear the personalizations, that could be part of it. (And if Apple has an equivalent, clear theirs as well) For all we know, this could just be some weird customized ad being displayed and not a virus at all. Once, I got a 45 minute charity concert ad on my youtube videos (though, that's not half as weird as yours).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

@Brickyman Don't you have internet security on your iPhone? I mostly use  my android, except animating, which I do on computer. All of my devices are protected. Everyone needs internet security, even on their iphones. You shouldn't go online even once, without it. Viruses are monsters, waiting to pound on prey!

You could restore it. I mean save your stuff if you need to but you should factory restore.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

rioforce wrote:

I didn't even know iPhones could get viruses.

Anything can get a virus. iPhones are a bit harder because they are a closed ecosystem so your only way of downloading stuff is from Apple. This prevents most harmful or malicious code. Still there are exploits that can be done and if you are jailbroken kiss that safety net goodbye.

My phone won't let me download anything since I hard reset it.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.