Re: The Animation Challenge

Kizar wrote:

So is that considered a longer deadline?

Nah, brah. It's like any other contest. Just because I need more time to judge doesn't mean the deadline has passed. Besides, I got so many entries to write reviews for. I mean, if you're finishing up, sure, but don't start a new entry now. That's the one exception.

I think it's safe to say the animation challenge is saved. We received so many entries for this. I think this thread has a bright future.

funmiproductions wrote:

I think it's safe to say the animation challenge is saved. We received so many entries for this. I think this thread has a bright future.

Glad I could help save this fun thread. mini/yes

I was the one who made it die. mini/sad www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slpz0D35oRI

Uhh...............?  How, may I ask?  Oh I see link.   I get it.

Last edited by Kizar (January 15, 2014 (07:38pm))

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

Every time I hear that song, it reminds how easily a film company can fall: they went from Despicable Me (which was amazing) to The Lorax (which was an insult to Dr. Seuss) and back to Despicable Me 2 (which was amazing).

Sorry. Off-topic.

I've been away from this challenge for soooo long that I didn't know it was dying, but I'm glad it's back again now!

BTW I had a great idea for if there are times when people can't think of a theme. Everyone takes five of the previous themes (the entries to which they can use as inspiration) and have to make an entry which includes all of those five themes (e.g. Walking On An Old, Damaged Bridge, Attacked By A Swarm Of Insects, Camera Movement, Walking On a Smooth Surface and Acrobatics could go really well together). The person who holds the animation challenge that time can choose some or all of the five themes, blah blah blah needs more working out, but does this sound like a fun idea? It gives people a chance to go back over old ideas that they might have missed (which I plan on doing for my own sake anyway) and it's a bit more challenging than a single theme. The change might get more people interested again. It doesn't have to be five themes, but I'd suggest no more than five and no less than three.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jampot (January 18, 2014 (03:12am))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Jampot that... i dont know if it could work, or if its smart. I definitley appreciate the thought value but its sort of re-using  challenges, even if theres multiples. And AC has always been traditionally a new single challenge. Its a smart idea nonetheless. mini/smile

"With those bricks we know and love, anything is a possibility!"-Smoky Air Studios

Nasrsarian wrote:

but its sort of re-using  challenges

Oh yeah, I know that. I just meant that it could help people who don't have any ideas, whilst still being challenging. But it's just an idea. It probably isn't that smart an idea.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

On that note, we could try mixing challenges into one? eg. running + cars = wild car racing
Its a bad idea but better than not having a topic I guess.

"With those bricks we know and love, anything is a possibility!"-Smoky Air Studios

mini/rolleyes

Honestly, that sounds like it would probably be so difficult not many people would enter.

Alright, I'm re-watching the videos and writing the reviews. So many great entries! Nice job guys. mini/sunnies

Double post. Get ready for my wall of text.

1ST PLACE

Fist Fight- For The Animation Challenge by MrMingleProductions
Wow. Though short, this was excellent. I loved the animation as well as the cinematography. The shaky cam and music also fit perfectly. Congratulations, you win first place!

2ND PLACE

Animation Challenge fist fight by Cooked Cat
Wow! That was very impressive, Cooked Cat. I will say that there was a lot of light flicker, which sometimes threw my focus off. Also, the rooftop running at around 0:16 looked a bit weird to me, I’m not sure why, though. I liked the glass breaking effect, and the actual fight scene animation is superb. The music really makes it, too. Nice job, Cooked!

3RD PLACE

BiM Challenge: Fist Fight by brickalodeon
Nice job, dude. That was pretty funny. Some of the animation seemed just a bit choppy, but overall, I found it appealing a funny. Sometimes, it was bit too fast, but then again, fights are normally pretty fast-paced. Nice job!

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order)

Fistfighting Animation Challenge Entry by backyardlegos
A nice little short entry. The animation was very smooth, and the lighting and technical aspects were perfectly in order. I like how they both ended up failing at the end, that made me snicker. Nice job, backyardlegos!

Deck the Trolls by jampot
Very nice, jampot! I liked the idea and I found the ending funny. I also think that the effects were quite well done. Some of the angles were pretty good, too. I did notice some light flicker, though, alongside some camera bumps (though it might’ve been intentionally shaky cam). I think there could have been a bit more easing in and out, but overall, good job!

Lego Wonder Woman: Short fight scene by funmiproductions
Quite a nice little short, but the whole thing was out of focus which bothered me. Maybe a new camera is in order? I did notice some light flicker and set bumps. I also think there could’ve been a bit more easing. Also, the guy being punched wasn’t reacting much at around 0:07. Nice job, though.

BiM Animation Challenge Fist Fight by Rockydude411Bricks
Nice job! I liked how Captain America leaped on to the Red Skull, that made me laugh. I think that walk cycle at the beginning was a bit choppy, but my main concern is the fact that it lacked a real fistfight due to the fact that Capt just punched the Red Skull and he was out cold and didn’t even fight back. Anyways, good job, Rockydude!

BIM Animation Fist Fight by Kizar
Nice job, Kizar! I don’t know if I have ever seen a brickfilm by you yet, so this was definitely a good first impression! The animation was very nice, but I did notice a little bit of light flicker. Anyways, nice job!

Tell me if I forgot to review you. There were a lot of entries, so it might've been a possibility.

Anyways, you're up, MrMingle!

EDIT: Oh, butts. I forgot to review PlainBrick's entry. My bad.

Fist Fight (Animation Challenge Entry) by PlainBrickProductions
Nice job! I love the free-for-all post-apocalyptic environment! The animation was quite well-done, and I like the pause when the first guy punches the knife out of the second guy's hand, then the music and fight start up. There was a tad bit of flicker, but I still really liked this entry. Nice job, PlainBrick!

Last edited by LASF (January 18, 2014 (12:27pm))

Wow 3rd!!

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Well done Mr Mingle, Cooked Cat and Brickelodeon!

Congrats! Now, a new challenge I smell!

Thankyou LASF, and well done to the other entries! :)Right, gonna think of a good theme now! By the way, suggestions are welcome, although I do have a few ideas. mini/wink

Last edited by MrMingleProductions (January 18, 2014 (02:23pm))

MrMingleProductions wrote:

Right, gonna think of a good theme now!

Looking forward to it!

congrags guys!

Good job everybody, way to come back strong for the animation challenge, can't wait for the next one. mini/smile