Topic: New guy with LOTS of questions

Hey everyone, I just transferred her from brickfilms.com, and I have questions I haven't gotten answered(or at least not clearly) mini/confused . Ok, I have a QP 9000 and a Logitech Desktop Microphone for hardware. For software, I have Audacity for recording myself, Axogon Composer(not a clue how to use), SMA for capture, and WMM for putting sounds on my video. Question #1: Is Monkeyjam better for animating than SMA? I haven't used MJ before, and don't know its features, nor how to use it. With SMA, make one mistake, and you have to start over, and you can't edit separate frames. Question #2: What programs beside WMM can you use to add sound to your videos and do transitions,etc. DDclip doesn't work. Question #3: What programs will I need to do special effects like masking, fire, smoke, water, explosions, lightsabers,etc? I want them to be free and as easy as possible. Question#3: I don't know all the special effects you can add to a video, WMM has limited things it can do, like zoom in slowly, and that's it. What does Mindgame use? He's the best animator I've seen. Question #4: How do you do those camera movements like turn, up, down, follow a guy, or other things like that? Mindgame does that all the time, like when the stormtrooper was slammed into the wall by the Emperor's guard, or like in his Gears of Solace, when it follows the Drone's legs when he's running towards the soldier at 0:17, or 0:19-20 & 0:21? And(one last awesome example mini/sunnies ), when the guy slams the car salesman into the car, or just simply rotating between two characters. I have many other questions, but I'll post them later.

I've decided that I'm going to become immune to several select, non-lethal poisons, then put them in my snacks to discourage sneaky snack snatchers. -Littlebrick

deviantART | YouTube

Re: New guy with LOTS of questions

1: Monkey Jam is more complicated to use, but there are more features, such as frame editing, and it is easy to learn.

2: Any freeware editing program, really.

3: Axogon Composer. mini/wink

3: Windows Movie Maker is great for assembling clips and adding audio, but yes, it doesn't have effects features. I think MindGame uses After Effects, which is a lot of money to buy; you're better of with learning on Axogon.

4: This kind of shot is called a camera pan. You can achieve this effect by animating the camera in motion, moving it like you would with a live action camera. Usually the animator builds a track or a crane (out of lego! mini/bigsmile) to movie the camera along.

Welcome to Bricks In Motion and enjoy your stay.

-Jimmybob

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

2: Any freeware editing program, really.

Can you recommend one?

3: Axogon Composer.

Ok, now HOW would I do that? I can't find any tutorials other than Smeagol's, and AC is messing up a little. I'll explain that later.

4: This kind of shot is called a camera pan. You can achieve this effect by animating the camera in motion, moving it like you would with a live action camera. Usually the animator builds a track or a crane (out of lego! ) to movie the camera along.

Yeah, I knew that much. I just can't seem to do it smoothly. Do you have some designs for cranes/whatever? Mindgame, if you see this, would you mind helping a little?

I've decided that I'm going to become immune to several select, non-lethal poisons, then put them in my snacks to discourage sneaky snack snatchers. -Littlebrick

deviantART | YouTube

Axogon Composer isn't easy, I've sort of stop recommending it to new people because there aren't good resources for it out there and many times they then they want me to teach it to them every step of the way.

As far as alternatives go, I might recommend FXHome's Effectslab, it's not free but it is a very easy program to use for adding the kinds of simple effects like explosions, lightsabers, etc. that many newbies want.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

As far as alternatives go, I might recommend FXHome's Effectslab

Dang, I don't got that kinda money:| . "sigh" Maybe I'll try to make some cash.

deviantART | YouTube

My advice is don't get caught up in making effects.  Some of the best brickfilms out there are just animation and voice acting.  Start low, then build your way up.

Yeah, I know. I prefer making movies with little special effects anyway.

deviantART | YouTube

Ok, what do I do for lots of bricks for movie sets? I was thinking buying the "Green Grocer" set for making movie sets.

deviantART | YouTube

A good set (if you have the money) would be the Town Plan set.  I've used it in many brickfilms and the figs are wonderful.

AniExer-size 2 contest entry: The QuickcamPro 9000.
View it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf7cLSIjznI

Yeah, I was considering that. But it doesn't have as many pieces(or at least not as many special ones).

deviantART | YouTube

BrickLordStudios wrote:

Ok, what do I do for lots of bricks for movie sets? I was thinking buying the "Green Grocer" set for making movie sets.

There are multiple ways of getting a lot of great bricks. There is the option to go to a LEGO store if there is one near you. You could by those variety buckets at all major retailers. Or lastly, you could go online and order them. I got about $500 worth of LEGO bricks for about a third the price.

If you are having trouble making cash, try mowing people's lawns for money or anything along those lines. Another way, which is very impractical, is to ask for a budget from your parents. I only recommend this once you become fairly skilled at brickfilming.

Buying those large expansive sets like the Green Grocer for parts is helpful to some extent. They are better just for background buildings in my opinion.

If you are having trouble making cash, try mowing people's lawns for money

Dude, I'm out in the country of east Texas. We don't have as much lawns(or people) as we do pine needles and trees mini/lol . Actually, I get $300 a year in my bank account to save or spend. And I've started painting Warhammer minis for money. It's more profitable than you might think

There are multiple ways of getting a lot of great bricks. There is the option to go to a LEGO store if there is one near you. You could by those variety buckets at all major retailers. Or lastly, you could go online and order them. I got about $500 worth of LEGO bricks for about a third the price.

My trouble with that is that I don't know what bricks to get. It's easier just to get a big set, see the pieces, practice building sets and houses, and then I'll have a better idea of what to get next time. Thanks, though.

deviantART | YouTube

If you want Special Effects you can get them off of Detonationfilms.You need to look at Tutorials for WMM in the tutorials section.It's easy if you try it in SV.

Last edited by SW8 (September 18, 2009 (07:57pm))

If it bricks ye be wantin' ye could be makin' ye way to the bay to get a nic ol' booty, which I b'lieve ye landlubbers call e'bay, garrrr

Riley wrote:

If it bricks ye be wantin' ye could be makin' ye way to the bay to get a nic ol' booty, which I b'lieve ye landlubbers call e'bay, garrrr

I thought talk like a pirate day was on the 19th?

Persist.

Aye, A've a'ready checked thar. They ain't got whut Ah want raht now. T'anks fo' tha suggestion though, mate.

deviantART | YouTube

If it be brick booty y' be seeking fore, I suggest BrickPlank.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Arrrgh. A've already been thar too. Lak Ah said befo', I dunno what braks ta git. Ah'll just git minifig heads, weapons, an' accessories thar.

deviantART | YouTube

I'm surprised nobody has posted this: http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … ware-list/

Thanks fo' tha' list, matey. Now, which wons do ah use? What's tha' best vidyo editor for addin' sound and other vidyo effects? I plan on switchin' over to monkayjam now, tho'.

deviantART | YouTube