Topic: What software do you use when making your films? and why?

On the rare occasion when I finally get round to making a film I usually go through a list of programs to fit my needs at the time.

The first program I use is Celtx.

Celtx is a great open source script formatting program. It really helps you write and understand professional scripts. If you don't know how to write a proper script then this program will teach you how to do so immediately. When I've had trouble writing scripts I've just opened Celtx and it helps me write more enthusiastically seeing everything in script format. Scriptwriting isn't it's only function. It helps with planning filming and storyboarding and much more. I highly recommend it.

Now that I have created a script (if my motivation hasn't left me) it's on to the stop motion.

For The Dentures I used AnimatorDV

AnimatorDV is a really easy piece of software to use. I used AnimatorDV Simple (enthusiasts version) which is a free version though if you have the money you can buy professional or educational versions. The simple version is pretty basic and similar to other free programs but it's first animation program I've consistently used rather than swapping to and from programs trying to find one I'm comfortable with. I found AnimatorDV really user friendly and if you are just getting started in brickfilming I recommend you use this. For the more professional animators you may wish to buy the professional version though I can't give my opinion on it but you can read it's features on it's site.

Audio recording and editing.

In the past I've used the Audacity a very popular choice though through out this year every time I've used it It has crashed and I got a blue screen of death mini/sad. Audacity, when it worked for me, was great and easy and is a must have for audio editing which your film editor just can't do. As an alternative for Audacity I began using Goldwave. It's not a easy to use as Audacity but the simple functions which are the most needed are easy to use. I also enjoyed the batch processing feature which Audacity didn't have.

Movie Editing

The editing program I now use is the demo of Magix Movie Edit Pro. If stacked up against other movie editors I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't come in first place but it does everything I need. I've found it really easy to use and fun to use. The fact that it's a demo is not a bad thing. It works for an unlimited amount of time it would seem (I've been using it for more than a year so it's safe to assume that). The demo is missing some features and it only exports in .wmv files. I understand this may not be beneficial for many people who have to use a number of different  formats in other programs but for me this was a great program to use. If you bought this you would of coarse be able to export in a number of other formats.

These are the main programs I use in my film making process I would be interested to hear what others use especially those who have a different way of brickfilming for example those working primarily in CGI.

Post away!

Last edited by RP Hoogle (December 26, 2008 (11:42pm))

Re: What software do you use when making your films? and why?

I use "Monkeyjam" for frame capturing. It's a simple, easy-to-use, free program, and it has a funny name.

For frame editing (i.e. editing the pictures.) I use GIMP. Again, it's free, and it's almost exactly like photoshop, but with a couple of the most advanced features removed, so it's not a copy.

For voices, I use Audacity, it's free, (I really favor freeware.) and it's high quality.

For composing, (which is actually rare.) I use the demo version of Sibelius, then print it out and send the score to someone who has a composing software.

For actual editing, I use iMovie, since we have a Mac in the house. It's simple, yet effective.

For scripting I use: Celtx
This comes in really handy for scripting as it has character catalogs for you to save your characters in, it also is set for characters and dialog and 10 times better than notepad.

For animating I use: StopMotionPro Junior
This is really easy to use and effective stopmotion software, other brickfilmers who i know use it all really like the software.

For voices I use: Audacity
Not much to say here.

For composing I use: ACID music studio and finale notepad
ACID is really good software not once has it crashed on me but came close once when i used Samples from a disc. Finale notepad on the other hand is very slow and has crashed quite a few times.

For Post Production i use: Gimp 2.4, Photoshop CS3, sqirlz
I find all those pieces of software very good, Photoshop is by far the best one but i only have it installed on my laptop at my Dad's.

For editing i use: Sony vegas platinum 8.0
I find this software very good and it has lots of useful codecs to save as, but some day i want to have Adobe Premiere.

_2014

For Animating:

WordPad (Scripting): The reason I don't use a script editor like Celtix is because I'm not fuzzy what program I script in and once I have the script writting down I'm fine.

Monkey Jam
(Animating): Well, this is quite a popular animating software that I heard about first so I used it. It's really good too, if only it had onion skinning... But I'm happy with it.

Ulead Video Studio 11.5 Plus
(Editing): A really nice editor I got last Christmas. It's got a load of custom title things, two audio track strips, a Film strip and up to 6 overlay strips.

GIMP (Additional Editing): Mainly for Lightsabers or any other additional editing in shots.

For live action filming I use the same as above, just without Monkey Jam

-Steve

StevieCollins wrote:

For Animating:

WordPad (Scripting): The reason I don't use a script editor like Celtix is because I'm not fuzzy what program I script in and once I have the script writting down I'm fine.

Monkey Jam
(Animating): Well, this is quite a popular animating software that I heard about first so I used it. It's really good too, if only it had onion skinning... But I'm happy with it.

(Editing): A really nice editor I got last Christmas. It's got a load of custom title things, two audio track strips, a Film strip and up to 6 overlay strips.

GIMP (Additional Editing): Mainly for Lightsabers or any other additional editing in shots.

-Steve

Stevie By the sound of it your back Brickfilming again?

_2014

randomparrot wrote:
StevieCollins wrote:

For Animating:

Monkey Jam

-Steve

Stevie By the sound of it your back Brickfilming again?

No mini/sad
I just make live action films, and stopmotion without LEGO bricks. I hope I'll take them down someday and make a brickfilm, I probably will.

-Steve

this is what i use

after effects for keying, compositing, and general stuff as well as compiling all my animation frames
photoshop for all image editing for my films
premiere pro for compositing
boujou for 3d tracking
3ds max for 3d
audacity for some sound recording
adobe soundbooth for audio effects
nero for some basic dvd menus
adobe encore for other dvds

these all do their job pretty well, there's such a big variety not one program can do it all

StopMotionPro 4 for animating (at 15 fps)
Magix Movie Editor 14 for editing
FX Home for simple effects
Adobe After effects for the ''difficult'' things
Carrara 6.0 for 3D editing and rendering
LeoCad for making the Lego3D models
Cool Edit 2000 for voice-acting and sound effects
Paintshop Pro & Photoshop for Picture editing
Nero for burning cd/dvd's
Mixcraft, FL Studio, and Ejay Techno&Dance for music (i use Mixcraft the most)

Oh and for scripting... i use Word...

-T.G-Tom

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

Monkey Jam, For the Animatin'

Adobe After Effects CS3 or 4, For the visual effects and Color correction.

Vista's WMM For basic editing.

For Audio, I use Audacity.

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

WordPress.org Scripting.

Audacity Recording voice/sound effects.

MonkeyJam Frame capture.

Paint.net Graphic and photo touch-ups.

Sony Vegas 8.0 Pro Advance video editor and compressor. mini/wink

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

Blender
Why? It's growing at a tremendous pace. Version 2.5 is on the way with lots of cool new stuff. Python scripting in Blender can do insane stuff.

- Leo

Blender

I'm with Leonardo, Blender is able to do just about anything(If you know how to use it).

Last edited by kevin66655 (December 29, 2008 (03:46pm))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/klbrickmations/Banners/bobobobo.png

Well, talk about a budget.

I use mum's digital camera for getting the footage, with a tripod that was found in mum's car (someone stole her car and used it in some robberies or something, and a tripod was found in the boot. No one claimed the tripod, so we got to keep it).

For putting the frames onto a movie file, I use iMovie, which came with the computer. I had to crop all the frames to 1/15 of a second, until recently, when I actually figured out how to make them all automatically crop mini/rolleyes someone coulda told me, that always took forever.

I use the microphone that's in the computer, which is pretty bad quality, but it's not horrible.

And for Special Effects, I use Microsoft Word 2001. (Apart from the effect used in Gerald The Genie, which came with iMovie)
I haven't uploaded any movies on YouTube with Special Effects done with Microsoft Word yet, but it actually works pretty well once you get used to it.

So the only money I use is to pay for the lego, everything else was pretty much free.

Last edited by Danimation (December 30, 2008 (06:21am))

What effects can you actually do on MS Word?

_2014

You can make a script with it mini/rolleyes

randomparrot wrote:

What effects can you actually do on MS Word?

_2014

WordArt mini/tongue

I'll write my screenplay in Celtx, then I capture the Animation from my DVX into Single Framer, then I do a quick cut in Final Cut, record voice overs in soundtrack, and do any visual effects in either After Effects, 3ds Max, and Photoshop. Then I'll do the final color grade in Color and export in Compressor.

-EDIT-

Forgot the "and why?"

Well, I use them for my work, and already have them.

Last edited by Abdax (December 30, 2008 (11:17am))

in order:

pages 'o8 it came with iwork, and I love it. (for scripting)

audacity recording lines.

framebyframe a good stop motion program for the mac, I like it. (filming)

GIMP love it, very good for special effects.

imovie HD for editing, titles, shakes, audio syncing, everything. (editing)

and well, that's it.

http://i.imgur.com/kmwjd.png
[10]]

I write my script in a notebook. ( Not a laptop. A REAL notebook) mini/smile

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.