Re: What software do you use when making your films? and why?

I do that, but I never get around to typing it up, so if you lose a page of the script your screwed. I had 9 pages of my original script for Spacemen, but I lost a page somewhere (I had all of them Stapled) so I rewrote it so it was shorter then I lost all but 3 pages when I changed bedrooms.

Sony Vegas Platinum It's fairly cheap and does the job it needs to do.

iTunes To organise all of my sound effects. I make a few playlists organising the effects and they're all in a playlist folder so I can search all of the SFX without all of my other music. It was a tip on the Designer Sound FX DVD and I've found it to be really helpful. You can easily preview sounds and drag them into your editing software.

Adobe After Effects CS3 I don't have access to it all of the time because it's on my cousins laptop.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2Waaaay old, but Dad bought it a long time ago. It can do everything GIMP can do, but a lot faster and has some pretty cool features.

Monkeyjam I don't get how some people don't understand how to use it, I found my way around it within a few minutes at an extension course at school, although the course was on cartoon animation.

QuickCam Pro 5000I think Squash(?) posted a tutorial on BF on how to fix the auto-focus, and it was great. Although the camera is grainy in low light, it's pretty good. I'm gonna buy a QuickCam Pro 9000 before THAC 6, though.

I'm saving for The Adobe Production Premium. Unfortunately, for legal reasons, I couldn't get a discount through a University, so It's gonna take me a while to afford it, but I think everything I have should last me. I have two large lamps that have a 35/60 watt switch and I'll have a good webcam soon and I have more than enough LEGO.

Last edited by Riley (December 31, 2008 (10:02am))

Right now, for animating I use three different programs
Animator DV, Monkeyjam, and Honestech claymation studio. Soon I will ditch HCS.
For filming I use (Sigh) a Cisco VT Webcam. It is probably the worst webcam ever... Well... Maybe. (Soon I'll get the Logitech Quickcam pro 9000, thankfully.)
For Lighting I use a tripod lamp.
For editing I use a few different programs.
Windows Movie Maker, and Ulead Video Studio.
I      pretty much all of the things I use except Animator DV, monkeyjam, Windows movie maker, and the tripod lamp.. I am so glad I am upgrading.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

TextEdit (Scripting) because it's free and fairly good.

iStopMotion (Animating) because... just because, okay?

iMovie (editing) It's a pretty good software, and it came with my macbook.

GarageBand (music) because I can write songs instead of getting someone else to make it for me.

Here's what comes to mind for me.  As you can see, it is mostly freeware.  I'm quite impressed by some of the setups you guys have at your disposal, I guess I'm too cheap to invest much money on software.

Word / OpenOffice Writer - I write an outline of the events, then follow this as a guideline while writing the script.

Canon CameraWindow - The remote capture software that came with my Powershot A620, I use this to control the camera remotely and capture images to my hard drive via USB.  I sequence the images afterward in Videomach or Virtualdub.

MLCad, LeoCad - For films involving CG work, I build LDraw models in MLCad, and usually export them to a 3D format in LeoCad.  Sometimes I plan out models before trying to build them physically in MLCad as well.

Axogon Composer - I use Axogon for editing, 2D visual effects, and compositing work.  It's great for assembling layers of a shot once all the masks have been created elsewhere.  I created the animated faces for my films thus far in Axogon.

Carrara 6 Pro - For any CG animation/rendering effects.  I also plan on using Carrara for some vector-based mouth animation work in my current project, it allows for specific, predefined mouth shapes which will make it faster than Axogon.

CompositeLab Pro - Another compositing program, I use it mostly for color correcting/grading, and color keying.

VirtualDub - This program is good for resizing and cropping video, but there are also a host of filters included and available on the web from 3rd party websites that are useful for creating various effects and color adjustments.

VideoMach - I use one of the older, free versions, sometimes for sequencing images or resequencing the order of frames, and also for cropping video.

Photoshop Elements - I got this free with a printer, it's a stripped-down version of Photoshop.  I use it for matte-painting work and occasionally frame-by-frame adjustments or compositing.

The GIMP - There are a lot of good plugins that I can't get for PS Elements, such as a 'focal/lense blur,' which I used quite a bit in Unrenewable to create realistically out-of-focus CG backdrops.

Sqirlz Water Reflections - I used this in Unrenewable for some of the rain particle effects, and also for the water in a few of the matte paintings.  (Anything closer up had more technically correct animated water created in Carrara.)

Audacity - I record dialog with Audacity, I also use it for some adjustments and trimming from time to time.

Goldwave - I use the old, free version for cleaning up and altering sounds, and also for mixing music in the final audio for my films.

MixCraft - A fairly recent addition, I used this to write the music for Unrenewable and plan to use it more in the future.  The music for "The Oven" was composed in Finale Notepad, a free program.

VLC - I use VLC for compressing my videos, I've recently taken to MPEG Streamclip as well, and for HD uploads to YouTube, the only freeware I've had success with is Windows Movie Maker.

With Carrara 6 Pro, CompositeLab, and Mixcraft being the non-freeware here, my total software expenses come to about $300.  Which is less than the price of Carrara on its own really, but I bought it with a student discount during a sale period so I got a really good deal on it, and I got a student discount on Mixcraft as well.

-Sméagol

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

All of the programs I use are WMM2, iMovie, Audacity, Photoshop Elements 4.0, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, Flash MX Pro 2004, Debugmode Wax, Digital Blue, and Google Sketchup.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I've found several really good programs for filmmaking, and as such I don't use a great variety of software. Here's a list of everything I use:

Adobe Master Collection CS4 - This is quite expensive, but I think it's a great investment considering all that it comes with, and upgrading (which I did from CS3) is even cheaper. Of the programs that come with this, I definitely use After Effects the most, for compositing and most visual effects work excluding 3D animation. I use Photoshop extensively too, and edit the final cut of the film in Premiere. At times I've also done some audio work and voice recording in Soundbooth. The integration available through the different programs can save a lot of time; for instance, it's possible to import AE compositions into Premiere without having to render them out into a separate file. This, combined with After Effects' ability to easily import frame sequences, has led to my doing away with AVIs for the shots, saving gigabytes of hard disk space.

Celtx - All my writing is done in this. I don't use most of the features, but it's still quite a bit easier than using Word or something else.

Carrara 5 Pro - For the most part, any 3D CGI in my films is done in this. Though at times there are features I wish Carrara had, the ease of use and fast rendering definitely make it worth any extra work I have to put in. I also haven't had a chance to get the latest version, so there are no doubt improvements I'm missing out on.

Maya 2008 - Occasionally I employ Maya for something that I can't easily do in After Effects or Carrara, such as the explosion in Pierre & Luigi. Nonetheless, it can be very confusing at times due to the complexity of all the features.

MLCAD and LeoCAD - I use these for model building and conversion, respectively. They're far from perfect, but there aren't really any other good programs for doing this.

Last edited by Nick Durron (January 1, 2009 (07:26pm))

Maybe a bit of an over-kill list, but at one point or another I have found uses for the software. A list of everything I use:

Celtx - Scripting and any other forms of miscellaneous writing for a film. It appears more clean than Work or a other NotePad system and feels tremendously easy to use.

MonkeyJam - Compiling frames, the animation, etc. Easy to understand with easy to change settings.

Gimp2 - A powerful program like photoshop only for free. To edit and add amazing effects to any shots that require it and for any other LEGO photography done. Even regular photography. Extremely powerful when done at an experts level.

Virtual Dub - Additional effects for video footage on a convenient piece of software. Used for adding last minute details and compression to the perfect file size while retaining great quality.

Wax 2.0 - Used to edit footage it can also be used to compile footage into the layout needed to the film.

Audactiy - All audio effects run through to give the real-life effect. Added realism to any film.

Other Programs Include:
RealAnime - Compression...
PhotoScape - Similar to Gimp with added or different effects. Each of the two editing programs are great, but serve differently to me.

(There are some others.)(I should get around to making and official website with info like this to copy mini/rolleyes .)

this thread strangly reminds me of... this thread. http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … -software/

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

They're similar, but that thread is for hardware as well, with a focus on listing tech specs, this thread is for explaining why you use what software you use.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Canon Camera Window: I use it for capture with my powershot A640.
After effect : incrustation, special effects.
Premiere pro : cutting.
Photoshop elements : matte-painting, compositing.

edit : ... and effectlab pro for additional effects, flare, muzzle flash.

Last edited by zwan (January 2, 2009 (04:29am))

jampot wrote:

All of the programs I use are WMM2, iMovie, Audacity, Photoshop Elements 4.0, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, Flash MX Pro 2004, Debugmode Wax, Digital Blue, and Google Sketchup.

Oh, and LSmaker, Adobe Audition, Ldraw, and sometimes Blender, although I can never get it to work.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Boinx Istopmotion: Frame capture

Apple Final Cut: Editing and post

Fxhome Effects Lab Pro: Special effects

For a while I was using Imovie for editing but, thankfully, those days are over.

LOINS

Celtx (Scriptwriting): It's free, and easier to use than MS word, and wordpad.

Monkeyjam: It's simple to use and quick, also, you can import your pictures, and make them have 2 frame pauses. mini/bigsmile

Adobe Photoshop CS3: For frame editing, I mean come on, its used by Pros. Need I say more?

Sony Vegas Pro Pack 9: It's pretty cheap and has all the basics I need.

Camera: Sony HDRTG1: It's high-definition easy to use, tripod adaptable, and compact.

Persist.

Anasazi SMA and AnimatorDV - Animating

Sony Vegas 8.0 pro TRIAL (because I can't seem to find the serial number for the real deal)

That's really all I use, although I do have some other useful programs such as Sqirlz Water Reflections

justkidden wrote:

Right now, for animating I use three different programs
Animator DV, Monkeyjam, and Honestech claymation studio. Soon I will ditch HCS.
For filming I use (Sigh) a Cisco VT Webcam. It is probably the worst webcam ever... Well... Maybe. (Soon I'll get the Logitech Quickcam pro 9000, thankfully.)
For Lighting I use a tripod lamp.
For editing I use a few different programs.
Windows Movie Maker, and Ulead Video Studio.
I      pretty much all of the things I use except Animator DV, monkeyjam, Windows movie maker, and the tripod lamp.. I am so glad I am upgrading.

I have Ulead Video Studio and windows moviemaker to
and the logithech Quickcam pro 9000.
Wierd mini/confused

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/KalleiSkovde/HighDolphin.png?t=1277025446

randomparrot wrote:

What effects can you actually do on MS Word?

I did this in about 5 mins.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?oztjwg1tumy

DanimationMovies wrote:
randomparrot wrote:

What? You did that in MS Word?

- Leo

Leonardo812 wrote:
DanimationMovies wrote:
randomparrot wrote:

What? You did that in MS Word?

- Leo

Yep. it wasn't that hard.

You mind showing us how?

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

maggosh wrote:

You mind showing us how?

Here's a quick tutorial I made (word document) Hope you can understand what I'm talking about throughout it.
I use Word because I don't have Paint on my computer (I have a Mac)
You may need an application called Preview on your computer to get the images on the word doc into a single .gif file, although I'm sure you could think of another way if you need to.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kzccj4jn3ni (You just sort of go back to step 5 when you finish)

It's easier than it looks

Last edited by Danimation (January 4, 2009 (07:26pm))