Topic: Christmas Holidaze - A Brickfilm Collab!
DEADLINE EXTENSION: Submit entries by the 14th December at 11.59pm EST
Christmas Holidaze - A Brickfilm Collab!
Countdown to Deadline!
Building on the tradition of community run Christmas events, we're going bigger than ever this year... So don your Santa hat and tighten the tinsel for Christmas Holidaze, an official Bricks in Motion Christmas collab!
What is Christmas Holidaze?
Chistmas Holidaze is a community event, not a contest! There won't be any judging or ranking of entries this time around- Christmas isn't about winning, it's about giving! We'll be accepting Christmas and winter holiday brickfilm entries up until
the end of November mid December. Our team of elves will then edit them together into a series of compilation videos which we'll release on the Bricks in Motion Youtube Channel up until Christmas!
If the name sounds familiar, that's because it's a spiritual successor to Quarantine Daze, hosted by MindGame Studios back in 2020. Give the playlist a look over and you'll get the idea! MindGame Studios is also executive producer on Christmas Holidaze.
Just because it's not a competition, doesn't mean there won't be any prizes! 'tis Christmas, after all. Every entrant will be in for a chance to win one of these 4 cracking LEGO sets:
Motorised Lighthouse Super Mario 64™ Question Mark Block Galaxy Explorer Aston Martin
We've been generously provided them to us through the Lego Ambassador Network (LAN)- consider it a Christmas present to the community!
Names will be drawn at random after the big Christmas Holidaze finale on the 24th December, so you're all in with an equal chance to win!
Entries between 20 second to 1 minute long will be accepted up until the end of the
30th November 14th December (23:59 / 11.59pm EST). Please submit in the form of a google drive link to [email protected] with the email subject written in the following format:
Christmas Holidaze Entry, [Your Bricks in Motion username], “[Title of your film]”
For example: Christmas Holidaze Entry, JO Co, “The Return of Santa's Pagan Brother, Godfrey Green”
All you need is a google account, not even a YouTube channel!
Anyone currently registered to (and not banned from) the Bricks in Motion forums is eligible to enter. If you're not yet registered, just make sure you are before submitting, Don't worry, it's quick and easy!
• Entries should use LEGO or similar building toys as primary elements.
• No mature/explicit content is allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: excessive swearing, excessive violence, overt sexual content, and blatant drug references.
• Total runtime must be between 20 seconds and 1 minute.
• Submitted films must be new films, created for this event. If you want to submit a film you started on before Christmas Holidaze was announced, that's fine, so long as it fits the theme and has not been released anywhere else.
• Films may not be posted publicly until after the event is over. Feel free to release your own version after Christmas Holidaze is all wrapped up.
• Use of copyrighted music is prohibited. All entries are being released in compilation videos and we don't want one 20 second clip getting the whole thing taken down!
• Entries that use characters from trademarked properties as source material are allowed, but originality is king. Try to stand out from the crowd with something refreshing and new!
• No titles, logos, credits or branding are to be included in your submission. As the brickfilms will be compiled together into, this would break the flow. Titles and other text aren't banned outright if they are integral to your brickfilm, but think before including them and ask if you're unsure! English subtitles are allowed and should be included if your entry is in another language.
• Entry videos should be submitted in a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Q: Can we collaborate with others to create an entry?
A: Yes! Collaboration is encouraged. However, we won't be able to divide up the prizes evenly for you, so you'll have to determine who receives the prizes in the case of a raffle draw. Entries may be submitted on the basis of one entry per director, so you can help with someone else's entry and still enter a film you've directed.
Q: Can we use some non-LEGO elements in building our sets and characters?
A: Yes! The intention of the rule is to put the focus of films made for the event on LEGO filmmaking, but other mediums are certainly allowed alongside. Think about what the contrast and use of different elements can help you accomplish narratively and visually.
Q: Are CG brickfilms accepted? / Does it have to be stop motion?
A: You can use any medium, so long as the primary elements clearly resemble LEGO pieces. This isn't an experimental contest, but we don't want to impose unnecessary limits on what qualifies as a brickfilm.
Q: Are we allowed to release our own versions of our films at the same time as the version submitted to Christmas Holidaze?
A: To keep in the spirit of the collaboration, no version of your submission may be made public prior to the release of the final video on the 24th December 2022. If you want to release your video or any alternate cut of it after this date, go ahead!
Q: What languages should we submit our brickfilms in?
A: The videos will be primarily in English, but you can provide your entry in other languages with English subtitles if you prefer. Of course, no dialogue at all is also always an option!
Q: How fast and loose should I play with the content restriction rules?
A: This community event is intended to be enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds, especially as everyone's contributions will be shown side by side. As such, this probably isn't the event to push the boundaries. While it is a restriction, there's still plenty you can achieve within it and we look forward to a diverse array of brickfilms that aren't just bound by one person's idea of Christmas. If you're concerned about the content of your brickfilm idea, just ask!
Q: Are there any 'mod elements' like in THAC or BRAWL?
A: Not this time around! Mod elements are used in short contests like THAC and BRAWL to ensure people animate only during the time provided. As this event isn't about a time restriction, there is no need for mod elements.
Any further questions, feel free to comment below, or badger me on the Bricks in Motion Discord. I won't bite, I promise! Good luck and get cracking! #CHRISTMASHOLIDAZE
J (JO Co)
Last edited by JOCo (November 27, 2022 (05:09am))