Topic: Christmas Holidaze - A Brickfilm Collab!

All  3 episodes out now!- Playlist

https://i.imgur.com/HeHqgHA.jpg

Christmas Holidaze - A Brickfilm Collab!

Countdown to Deadline!

Building on the tradition of community run Christmas events, we're going bigger than ever this year... So don your Santa hat and tighten the tinsel for Christmas Holidaze, an official Bricks in Motion Christmas collab!

What is Christmas Holidaze?

Chistmas Holidaze is a community event, not a contest! There won't be any judging or ranking of entries this time around- Christmas isn't about winning, it's about giving! We'll be accepting Christmas and winter holiday brickfilm entries up until the end of November mid December. Our team of elves will then edit them together into a 3 part series compilation videos which we'll release on the Bricks in Motion Youtube Channel on the 20th, 22nd and 24th December!

If the name sounds familiar, that's because it's a spiritual successor to Quarantine Daze, hosted by MindGame Studios back in 2020. Give the playlist a look over and you'll get the idea! MindGame Studios is also executive producer on Christmas Holidaze.

Raffle Prizes

Just because it's not a competition, doesn't mean there won't be any prizes! 'tis Christmas, after all. Every entrant will be in for a chance to win one of these 4 cracking LEGO sets:
Motorised Lighthouse                Super Mario 64™ Question Mark Block                Galaxy Explorer                Aston Martin
https://i.imgur.com/YTrul32.jpg
We've been generously provided them to us through the Lego Ambassador Network (LAN)- consider it a Christmas present to the community!
https://i.imgur.com/MDARkLu.png
Names will be drawn at random after the big Christmas Holidaze finale on the 24th December, so you're all in with an equal chance to win!

Submission

Entries between 20 second to 1 minute long will be accepted up until the end of the 30th November 14th December (23:59 / 11.59pm EST). Please submit in the form of a google drive link to [email protected] with the email subject written in the following format:
Christmas Holidaze Entry, [Your Bricks in Motion username], “[Title of your film]”
For example: Christmas Holidaze Entry, JO Co, “The Return of Santa's Pagan Brother, Godfrey Green”

All you need is a google account, not even a YouTube channel!

Rules

Anyone currently registered to (and not banned from) the Bricks in Motion forums is eligible to enter. If you're not yet registered, just make sure you are before submitting, Don't worry, it's quick and easy!
•    Entries should use LEGO or similar building toys as primary elements.
•    No mature/explicit content is allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: excessive swearing, excessive violence, overt sexual content, and blatant drug references.
•    Total runtime must be between 20 seconds and 1 minute.
•    Submitted films must be new films, created for this event. If you want to submit a film you started on before Christmas Holidaze was announced, that's fine, so long as it fits the theme and has not been released anywhere else.
•    Films may not be posted publicly until after the event is over. Feel free to release your own version after Christmas Holidaze is all wrapped up.
•    Use of copyrighted music is prohibited. All entries are being released in compilation videos and we don't want one 20 second clip getting the whole thing taken down!
•    Entries that use characters from trademarked properties as source material are allowed, but originality is king. Try to stand out from the crowd with something refreshing and new!
•    No titles, logos, credits or branding are to be included in your submission. As the brickfilms will be compiled together into, this would break the flow. Titles and other text aren't banned outright if they are integral to your brickfilm, but think before including them and ask if you're unsure! English subtitles are allowed and should be included if your entry is in another language.
•    Entry videos should be submitted in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

FAQ

Q: Can we collaborate with others to create an entry?
A: Yes! Collaboration is encouraged. However, we won't be able to divide up the prizes evenly for you, so you'll have to determine who receives the prizes in the case of a raffle draw. Entries may be submitted on the basis of one entry per director, so you can help with someone else's entry and still enter a film you've directed.

Q: Can we use some non-LEGO elements in building our sets and characters?
A: Yes! The intention of the rule is to put the focus of films made for the event on LEGO filmmaking, but other mediums are certainly allowed alongside. Think about what the contrast and use of different elements can help you accomplish narratively and visually.

Q: Are CG brickfilms accepted? / Does it have to be stop motion?
A: You can use any medium, so long as the primary elements clearly resemble LEGO pieces. This isn't an experimental contest, but we don't want to impose unnecessary limits on what qualifies as a brickfilm.

Q: Are we allowed to release our own versions of our films at the same time as the version submitted to Christmas Holidaze?
A: To keep in the spirit of the collaboration, no version of your submission may be made public prior to the release of the final video on the 24th December 2022. If you want to release your video or any alternate cut of it after this date, go ahead!

Q: What languages should we submit our brickfilms in?
A: The videos will be primarily in English, but you can provide your entry in other languages with English subtitles if you prefer. Of course, no dialogue at all is also always an option!

Q: How fast and loose should I play with the content restriction rules?
A: This community event is intended to be enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds, especially as everyone's contributions will be shown side by side. As such, this probably isn't the event to push the boundaries. While it is a restriction, there's still plenty you can achieve within it and we look forward to a diverse array of brickfilms that aren't just bound by one person's idea of Christmas. If you're concerned about the content of your brickfilm idea, just ask!

Q: Are there any 'mod elements' like in THAC or BRAWL?
A: Not this time around! Mod elements are used in short contests like THAC and BRAWL to ensure people animate only during the time provided. As this event isn't about a time restriction, there is no need for mod elements.

Any further questions, feel free to comment below, or badger me on the Bricks in Motion Discord. I won't bite, I promise! Good luck and get cracking! #CHRISTMASHOLIDAZE

J (JO Co)

50 Approved Entries:
MulveyMovie
Benji Studios
JaguarBrickFilms
EasterWoodProductions
StormTheBlank
Obstinarian
Brickston Studios
Formal Lens
Locker74
Le Brick Studios
animationbase1982
Joshua Nelson
Beach Trooper
Brix Flix
Gregory Animations
Nathan (Mochi2022!)
Daphne (Mochi2022!)
Humbug
JB Films
Sim Ned Productions
Tobias_Jay
Hamrichonn
Chris McNick
Joshua Armell
TinyMushroomFilms
The_Ferdynand0
Maosl
Bradee
Moth fan48
MCC Studios
Toaster Chan
Nurtnaut
Robukka
Feinstein Films
Loft Studios
Conner Mattia
B4Builds!
MattSaturn
Chillypenguinstuds
T&M Media Pictures
Star Brick Studios
Anteriaa
Puskov
TRStudios
Maxed Out Productions
Orbital Lizard Studios
2x2 Brick Studio Bros Productions
JAM Productions
Squash
LOTW Studios

Last edited by JOCo (December 24, 2022 (07:09pm))

Re: Christmas Holidaze - A Brickfilm Collab!

Nice! I entered last year and had a lot of fun. Cant wait to do it again mini/smile

LET'S GO!
I missed out on this last year due to not being on the Discord, great to have the oppurtunity now! I do have a couple questions, and I might ask around some more on the discord:
-First off, I know you said there won't be a contest, but will there be anything like a highlights, or spotlight on exceptional entries? (Obviously depending on the number of films)
-Who are the other producers? (Just out of curiosity)
-You mentioned this will be the spiritual successor to Quarantine Daze, will this also be a replacement for the annual Christmas Collaboration? There are other creative ways to do a collab, and while Quarantine Daze was amazing, something with a fun twist would be more of a spiritual successor of A Brick Christmas.
-Is it possible to enter more thsn one film, especially if they're short?
Thanks, and can't wait to see all the great stuff that comes out of this!

"Whatever that thing AquaMorph said about french kissing that's always in people's signature"
Married? Solder you balls now.

Puskov wrote:

-First off, I know you said there won't be a contest, but will there be anything like a highlights, or spotlight on exceptional entries? (Obviously depending on the number of films)

We don't currently have any plans for that, but I'm not totally opposed to looking into it once the submissions are all in. At the end of the day, we don't want to divert people away from the full videos, so they're the priority.

Puskov wrote:

-Who are the other producers? (Just out of curiosity)

There's no hard and fast list, but I'll be getting the help of other BiM staff members for editing at least.

Puskov wrote:

-You mentioned this will be the spiritual successor to Quarantine Daze, will this also be a replacement for the annual Christmas Collaboration? There are other creative ways to do a collab, and while Quarantine Daze was amazing, something with a fun twist would be more of a spiritual successor of A Brick Christmas.

The annual Christmas collab has gone through many different iterations. The Quarantine Daze format is effectively the twist this time around. If community members want to run their own events, nothing is stopping them, but it could get a bit confusing and would be a shame to dilute the pool of entries between a bunch of smaller things.

Puskov wrote:

-Is it possible to enter more thsn one film, especially if they're short?

It's one film per director, but I guess you could sort of make a one minute film out of 3 20 second ones. Compilation in a compilation. The point is quality over quantity, of course!

Hope that answers your questions for now!

Thanks! Good to know that this will be the Christmas collab this year. It's a fun twist, and hopefully will do near as well as the massive success of the first one. As this is supposed to be like Quarantine Daze, will there be any small animated intros like MindGame did?

"Whatever that thing AquaMorph said about french kissing that's always in people's signature"
Married? Solder you balls now.

Puskov wrote:

Thanks! Good to know that this will be the Christmas collab this year. It's a fun twist, and hopefully will do near as well as the massive success of the first one. As this is supposed to be like Quarantine Daze, will there be any small animated intros like MindGame did?

Haha, I certainly wouldn't bank on approaching levels acheived during the first Covid lockdown, but that's in the hands of the community. We haven't worked out the intro sequence just yet, you'll have to wait and see come December!

I have a final shot in my film that basically says 'Merry Christmas', is that legal? I know that there is a lot of text that is not allowed, so I just wanted to know if a tiny little blurb is allowed.

My only hope is to become relevant enough to get a Brickfilms Wiki page made for me

Obstinarian wrote:

I have a final shot in my film that basically says 'Merry Christmas', is that legal? I know that there is a lot of text that is not allowed, so I just wanted to know if a tiny little blurb is allowed.

That's one of those things where if everyone did it, it wouldn't work, but it would if it's just a few entries. I'd say go for it if you think it specifically adds to your brickfilm.

Ok! Thanks for the feedback. I really just don't want to mess up the final product, because I know that there will be a lot of entries mini/smile

My only hope is to become relevant enough to get a Brickfilms Wiki page made for me

Does the submission have to be a Google drive link or can I email it to you directly from my photos?

Beach Trooper wrote:

Does the submission have to be a Google drive link or can I email it to you directly from my photos?

Ideally a Google Drive link, but don't worry if you can't. Is the file size even small enough to send directly by email?

Thanks, I’m pretty sure I will be able to send it by mail. Hopefully it won’t be too compressed.

Hey would it be okay if i made part of my film in live action? And when i say live action i mean like an actual human being. It would be like a 5 second comedic ending to my film. Would that mess with the continuity of the compilation or anything?

Orbital Lizard Studios wrote:

Hey would it be okay if i made part of my film in live action? And when i say live action i mean like an actual human being. It would be like a 5 second comedic ending to my film. Would that mess with the continuity of the compilation or anything?

Sure thing, go ahead! So long as the majority of it is brickfilm, there can be little bits of live action or what have you. Whatever works!

Question: How should we give attribution for music, sound effects, ect., if the films must be free from credits?

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

Humbug wrote:

Question: How should we give attribution for music, sound effects, ect., if the films must be free from credits?

Unfortunately we won't be able to have full credits in the compilation video, just studio names. I guess I'd just recommend uploading your own version after the Holidaze videos are released with the credits. Hope that's okay.

JO co, I have entered my first ever BiM collaboration, which is Christmas Holidaze! My question is when will you post the video (or videos?). Will you post them on consecutive days leading up to Christmas?

Any way I am really looking forward to this, and thank you very much for creating these great contests and collabs mini/smile

Last edited by Hamrichonn (December 12, 2022 (01:41pm))

If I am online here it means I am most likely avoiding brickfilming.
I HAVE DONE IT, I have a good idea for THAC 2024 :wink:

Hamrichonn wrote:

JO co, I have entered my first ever BiM collaboration, which is Christmas Holidaze! My question is when will you post the video (or videos?). Will you post them on consecutive days leading up to Christmas?

Any way I am really looking forward to this, and thank you very much for creating these great contests and collabs mini/smile

Congrats on the first time entering! Always good to have some new faces. It's not set in stone yet, but the current plan is to release it as two videos - one on the 17th and the other on the 24th. We'll also be drawing the raffle after the second video comes out!

That sounds really good. I can't wait to see them!

If I am online here it means I am most likely avoiding brickfilming.
I HAVE DONE IT, I have a good idea for THAC 2024 :wink: