Topic: [BRAWL 2022] Out to Lunch

Out to Lunch

Watch Now: YouTube
Released: July 17, 2022
Content Advisory: no violence, no language, no sexual content

Two brothers out to lunch; one moreso than the other.

Directory Link

Re: [BRAWL 2022] Out to Lunch

I thoroughly enjoyed your entry. The quality of smooth subtle animation of everyone else is so well contrasted against the cartoony-drastic animation of the "eccentric" brother. The lighting and image quality are also noteworthy. The slow truck camera move is so smooth and precise, I can't help but wonder how you accomplished that. I am entertained by the eccentric brother's outlook on other people's perspective. "Well, maybe I think they're weird for caring."
The story seems to present this notion almost neutrally. Polite society is polite, but boring. Everyone is harmonious because they're polite and the oddball seems rude by comparison, but then he presents effective techniques for other daily activities (work efficiency). Which is better? It's up to the viewer to decide the best way to live.
I'm always entertained and enjoy watching your films. Hope to see another one before too long!
-Nate

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Thank you for the thoughtful response. The camera movements are achieved with the camera on this slider, and by animating the camera on ones (24fps), while the majority of the action is shot on twos (12fps). Although the raw footage does mostly look like what you see, I do add a very minor Stabilizer effect in editing, to account for imperfections (Stabilizer just automatically very slightly zooms and readjusts the positioning of the frames; it is not a form of interpolation/motion smoothing). For this film, I figured it would be especially effective to have the camera moving at 24fps while showing the repeated frame character moving jaggedly at the same time.

I love the early 2000s influence in this Brickfilm, more so having in mind that Penta got me into most of the classic Brickfilms with the Brickfilm History Series. The tracking shot where you first see restaurant is the part that has more of that classic feel, inmediately when I saw it I had Citizen Of The Year flashbacks (also the fact that you had the bum and the neighbor at the last table was great) as I said, everything about the meal scene is great, the lighting and set design simply give me nostalgia for a time that I wasn't even alive yet. I cannot describe how much I adore this Brickfilm, fantastic job, Penta.

Be honest...how did it feel to animate intentionally that choppy?

Being my first brickfilm back, this was a nice surprise. Especially being made for BRAWL, I found the attention to detail in the sets and comedy bits very well executed. I am also kind of obsessed with the concept of combining animation styles to convey a character trait.  Thank you for a delightful film!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

Scypax wrote:

Be honest...how did it feel to animate intentionally that choppy?

Being my first brickfilm back, this was a nice surprise. Especially being made for BRAWL, I found the attention to detail in the sets and comedy bits very well executed. I am also kind of obsessed with the concept of combining animation styles to convey a character trait.  Thank you for a delightful film!

I recommend watching Taco Trouble 2 by Penta, as that followed the same concept.

Yes, it's homemade, fresh from the toaster oven.

I really like this film and I think that it is well animated, I like the animation style of the brother guy, the brickfilm is very funny, clever and colourfull. I really like the smooth surfaces and such in this one. The lighting is amazing. Overall, a solid 5 stars.