Topic: Plastic Puppet Theater

Plastic Puppet Theater

Watch Now: Link 1
Released: September 4, 2021
Content Advisory: no violence, no language, no sexual content

My first and only brickfilm made entirely on video.
This was made for the bricksinmotion summer contest "Manifest".

Directory Link

Re: Plastic Puppet Theater

Loved this entry!

Rewatching the beginning with subtitles on was such a cool experience!

Last edited by Roody (September 18, 2021 (05:10pm))

Roody wrote:

Loved this entry!

Rewatching the beginning with subtitles on was such a cool experience!

Thank you! mini/smile

It’s an experience watching this one. I like the concept and all the different characters in the theater.
Good humour and tension and also: lack of tension in the slower parts.

Robukka wrote:

It’s an experience watching this one. I like the concept and all the different characters in the theater.
Good humour and tension and also: lack of tension in the slower parts.

Thanks! I loved your entry as well. mini/smile

I am not too familiar with creating abstract brickfilms, however I did my best to understand what was being told.

The movie theatre employees produce the ticking noise whenever they are called upon to do their task. Could this be a reminder to the viewer that this is nothing more than a plastic puppet theatre? Or is it a commentary alluding to the role of these people in society. They all have only one sole duty: to sell tickets, produce popcorn, pour soda pop. Essentially filling the role of an automaton to the moviegoers.

Throughout the film quick messages flash upon the screen, claiming to be from a girl named Sadie trapped in a this puppet world and some from an unknown evil entity, suggesting we focus on our own puppets. Easy to miss with the blink of an eye. Is this subplot even real? Or are these further glimpses into the mind of  the protagonist. A call for help in his own mind. Confused about his place in his own world and the role he plays within it. Trapped in this monotonous world filled with automaton beings, receiving no real fulfillment. Sadie abandons us and goes on her own when we fail her.

That is until, the viewer realizes this is in fact an interactive video and that we must utilize the captions to play our own part in the motion picture. Does this further the idea that we are simply watching a plastic puppet show, or is it that we are the puppet show, though with a "meaty" flavour?

The ballerina, playing the part of a princess in her performance, perhaps Sadie herself, is found hanging at the end of her dance. This may have been the second way out she had mentioned. We, the viewer get to see this. The protagonist does not. We have both failed her. "Can we blame the protagonist?" We wonder as the hand comes out from behind the curtain to remind us who is really in charge.

Yes, it's homemade, fresh from the toaster oven.

Wow.

"Whatever that thing AquaMorph said about french kissing that's always in people's signature"
Married? Solder you balls now.