Topic: Rooftop Pursuit | A Scifi Brickfilm

Rooftop Pursuit | A Scifi Brickfilm

Watch Now: Link 1
Released: March 27, 2021
Content Advisory: moderate violence, no language, no sexual content

A short action fight scene I made for Brickfilm Day 2021. Made in just 30 days one a Galaxy Note 10. (first time trying to post a film on BIM)

Directory Link

Re: Rooftop Pursuit | A Scifi Brickfilm

Some really good action in there. For some reason the shaky camera in the first half feels a bit too much for me, but it gets better as the film goes along. The fighting is very well animated and choreographed, especially when the punching starts. It feels pretty visceral. There are some pauses between some of the actions that feel a bit too long (the two staring at the gun, or before helmet guy swipes robot guy's foot), but apart from that it's timed very well. The music really tops it off, too. Very cool.

Thank you for the criticism, I totally agree. I think the shaky cam in the beginning feels wrong because it moves a bit too much for how minor the actions are on screen, in the second half there is a lot more body movement so the larger camera moves feel more appropriate and are better motivated.

I am surprised I didn't notice the timing issues before, I think it's still a good idea to leave points in the fight to let the viewer process for a moment and catch their breath but the pauses in this often overstay their welcome. I will keep these things in mind next time I start an action scene and do my best to not make the same mistakes, thank you for the feedback.

CodeMan wrote:

I am surprised I didn't notice the timing issues before, I think it's still a good idea to leave points in the fight to let the viewer process for a moment and catch their breath but the pauses in this often overstay their welcome.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with that! It's good to have these little pauses to separate the "beats" of a fight and you were definitely on the right track with that.