Topic: The Last Mecha

The Last Mecha

Watch Now: Watch now on YouTube
Released: October 16, 2020
Content Advisory: mild violence, no language, no sexual content

After conflict ravages the earth, a mindless machine of war is given the ultimate gift.

I'm excited to finally release the first film I've done a production log for! Comments and criticism are most welcome. I'm especially interested in critiques of the film's sound design, as I tried to improve in that area compared to past works.

Full credit for the music goes to Brick Block Animations. He did an awesome job bringing the film to life with an original soundtrack.

Thank you for watching! Enjoy!

Directory Link

Re: The Last Mecha

I did note the good sound design when i watched this on youtube before. I like the sort of minimal look to the set. The mecha animation is great. Everything is engaging,
3:46 did not make sense though.

This was a pleasure to work on. Thank you for the opportunity mysteriouspi! I had so much fun scoring this film. mini/smile

My profile picture is deep fried lol

Real great job! Lots of brickfilmers, used to the limited articulation of minifigures, struggle with something like a mech, but you animated it really well.
The music is top notch, I like the vibes this gives off in general. Great work!

Nice! Again, as has been mentioned, the sound design and character animation were both great. I also love that the story is shown without dialog, yet everything that happens is still (mostly) understandable.

I think the music works well for the film. Good job to your composer!

I wasn't sure why the lady would fix up the mecha, then leave it. That confused me.
Otherwise, it's a nice little tale!

Good job.

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the kind words.

Robukka wrote:

3:46 did not make sense though.

The mecha was "surrendering" its new independence core to lure the enemy soldier away from the scavenger. Looks like I could have communicated that better, alas.

AwesomepantsFilms wrote:

Lots of brickfilmers, used to the limited articulation of minifigures, struggle with something like a mech, but you animated it really well.

That's exactly what I was afraid of; the physical act of animation has never been my strength IMO. So I'm glad it turned out as well as it did. Of course, there's plenty of room for improvement.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I wasn't sure why the lady would fix up the mecha, then leave it. That confused me.

The idea I had was that she tries to improve the world in what ways she can (like transforming the war-purposed mecha into a more gentle individual with choice), but she never stays in one place long. Whether she's trying to stay emotionally detached or avoiding danger, I don't have a definitive answer. Even if I did, that would be hard to communicate in a silent film.

Absolutely love the animation and story! Keep it up!

Really nice mech-moc, always good to see character animation in non-minifig creations.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png