Topic: Trouble in Tuxedoland

Directory Link

Trouble in Tuxedoland

Watch Here

An inventor is attacked by a mutant.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Re: Trouble in Tuxedoland

I really love that brick-built explosion.  Great job on that!

Not bad, but I feel that the story could use a bit of polishing up as it's a bit rushed and random, and I didn't entirely understand what's going on.  Perhaps a short scene explaining why the mutant suddenly appeared in the inventor's lab and attacked him, or why

Spoiler (click to read)

the robot was broken at the end

would greatly help the flow of the story.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mr Vertigo wrote:

I really love that brick-built explosion.  Great job on that!

Not bad, but I feel that the story could use a bit of polishing up as it's a bit rushed and random, and I didn't entirely understand what's going on.  Perhaps a short scene explaining why the mutant suddenly appeared in the inventor's lab and attacked him, or why

Spoiler (click to read)

the robot was broken at the end

would greatly help the flow of the story.

Yeah, I completely understand why you feel this way. In truth I had no script, hardly a storyboard, and it was originally going to be a short practicing for THAC.

But, because I had been on this project for almost 6 months, I really just needed get it done. Of course, the end was completely rushed (as you can see it's nothing but a dolly alternating with a png) and I would have liked to do better.

Although on the bright side, every horrible film I make helps me get better.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Those brick-built waves were really neat. I liked the lo-fi look of the outdoor scenes with the raised platform ground, spinning house front and small background objects. It made me think as if the minifigs were putting on a play.

sillypenta wrote:

Those brick-built waves were really neat. I liked the lo-fi look of the outdoor scenes with the raised platform ground, spinning house front and small background objects. It made me think as if the minifigs were putting on a play.

I agree, I loved some of the practical effects and having just done an explosion of bricks myself (my first) I rather enjoyed see it here. Very nice camera angles as well.

xxgbhxx wrote:
sillypenta wrote:

I agree, I loved some of the practical effects and having just done an explosion of bricks myself (my first) I rather enjoyed see it here. Very nice camera angles as well.

Yes, these were my intentions, I wanted the film to feel like a storybook, where everything revolved around the central character and not make sense from any other perspective (literally and metaphorically). In fact, the indoor walls were not even attached to the floor, as well as the wardrobe and bed.

Last edited by Randomboaz (May 11, 2015 (02:22pm))

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Most of my concerns have already been addressed, so I'll skip straight to the cool stuff. mini/wink

I really like what you did with the sets overall, especially those sweet waves.
The parallax scrolling could have been polished up a bit, but it did add some nice scale to the sets, and helped with the illusion of very quick running. SillyPenta brought up a great point about it feeling like a stage in a play. While it does, and whereas many films would suffer from that, this one just took it and made it into a unique visual style that looked pretty interesting.

Randomboaz wrote:
xxgbhxx wrote:
sillypenta wrote:

Yes, these were my intentions, I wanted the film to feel like a storybook, where everything revolved around the central character and not make sense from any other perspective (literally and story wise). In fact, the indoor walls were not even attached to the floor, as well as the wardrobe and bed.

So if I borrow those waves for an upcoming short, you won't hold it against me will you? ;-)

Fantastic short! I really liked it. Not all brickfilms need to have a complicated story (or even one that makes sense). I sometimes just like to laugh. mini/wink

I really like the waves, explosion, rotating house, parallax running, and the animation in total. Though, a few things could have been smoothed out, but overall, the animation was great. My one gripe was that the sky was white and fairly dark in the edges, especially since you see a lot of it in the film. I feel as if the sky should have been some sort of blue, light blue, or gray (if it is cloudy) instead of just solid white. However, that didn't take away from the film at all. mini/smile

Again, keep up the great work!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

xxgbhxx wrote:

So if I borrow those waves for an upcoming short, you won't hold it against me will you? ;-)

Absolutely not, you can use the exact rig if you want. https://twitter.com/randomboaz/status/5 … 2503554048

rioforce wrote:

My one gripe was that the sky was white and fairly dark in the edges, especially since you see a lot of it in the film. I feel as if the sky should have been some sort of blue, light blue, or gray (if it is cloudy) instead of just solid white. However, that didn't take away from the film at all. mini/smile

Well, the actual color of the paper was blue, although I shined a lamp on it during most of the film (to give it a inconsistent color), I guess the lamp must have been too bright on the sky. Glad you like it though.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube