Re: The Animation Challenge

Yeah, the block completely failed haha. The man was alright.

Congrats noodlebrick. Make it a good challenge. mini/wink

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

Speaking of which what do you all want to animate?

Cartoon effect? Has that been done recently?

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Legocloniac, could you define "cartoon effect?"

Some of my ideas are getting clothes lined/ragdoll, cooking, using tools/fixing something, playing an instrument, riding a skateboard, taking pictures/recording a video/using a camera, camera movements, getting scared, driving, etc?

"Of The Pond Films"

N0odleBrick wrote:

Speaking of which what do you all want to animate?

I think I'll refer back to my list from a few pages ago on some things I think are fun to practice:

rioforce wrote:
  • Brick Motion Blur (like they did in The LEGO Movie) (done)

• Squash and Stretch with LEGO (A great challenge, since LEGO is so rigid) (done)

• Anticipation and follow-through (notice I'm using a theme of the 12 Principles of Animation)

• Moving weighted objects (a lot of time objects in our animation seem to be weightless and consistent)

• Exaggeration (again, more of a cartoony effect not easily pulled off with rigid bricks)

Here's some examples of those principles of animation I was speaking of.

Of course, you can choose what you wish, these are just things which brickfilmers seem to commonly be lacking in. Normal activities like "driving", aren't enough of a challenge to even waste time doing, imo.

Though, I do like 1011Ev's ragdoll idea.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

@1011Ev cartoon as in exaggerated movements. Expressing emotion (in little pieces of plastic) in unconventional and humorous ways.

But upon seeing what you've suggested, I too would like to do the ragdoll idea.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

rioforce wrote:

Of course, you can choose what you wish, these are just things which brickfilmers seem to commonly be lacking in. Normal activities like "driving", aren't enough of a challenge to even waste time doing, imo.

I actually think normal activities could make for a great challenge. Driving related themes have already been used so I wouldn't want to see that theme again but "normal" activities should not be put aside. A lot of the time, the most meaningful animation can be in the everyday, subtle movements.

Last edited by Willow Tree (November 11, 2015 (07:26pm))

everybody seems to like the rag-doll Idea so lets go with that, although we should add the action witch led our character to rag-dol.  Maybe like tripping or getting hit by something?  I will post the official theme once we have come to a conclusion.

I get what you're saying Rioforce. Yeah, some movements/tasks are a tad to mediocre and drab. In the future I'd love to do some of those challenges you suggested!

I think rag-doll by itself is a good idea because it leaves it up to a ton of different interpretations as to how the rag-doll comes about. One person may use a car, another an explosion, etc, but the main portion of it is about the rag-doll effect itself.

"Of The Pond Films"

Without further a due, the new theme is rag-doll.  The cause for the rag-doll is up for interpritation, it could possibly be geting punched in the face, hit by a car or basically any action you can think of.  The deadline is Afternoon on Tuesday the 17th

Note: rag-dolls have no rigid structure so arms and legs are very flowy when thrown and can bounce, also exaggeration is very encouraged.  Hope to see lots of Entries. Let's make it a good one.

Last edited by soupmanjack (November 11, 2015 (12:33pm))

If only goats were opposable...

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

take this turtles
here is my entry

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Well, the deadline is here, but there seems to only be one entry. Sooooooooo.... The winner (by default mini/sad ) is randomboaz congrats.
Your entry was good I liked how your figure kinda flew through the air flailing his arms. Although he seem too rigid when "rolling" down the stairs. Overall it was still really great!

Take it away Mr. Boaz!

Just noticed you set the deadline to Afternoon on Tuesday the 17th, next time I suggest the deadline be a day and don't accpet entries the next day because I was working on mine, but I'm not gonna finish it now. xP

"Of The Pond Films"

I can rejudge if you still want to finish your entry, I could judge tomarrow morning? Sorry about the dead line misunderstanding.

Nah, don't worry about it, it's okay. Just a suggestion for next time. mini/smile
Perhaps I'll pay more attention too. mini/tongue

"Of The Pond Films"

Ok, then it's back to you Boaz

You guys have any theme suggestions?

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

I have been doing some animation tests recently on horse gallop cycles and thought it would be cool to have a animation challenge about some time of lego animal doing something, for Instance.

Maybe a bird flying or a fish swimming under water.
Or a horse slow trot, or something in that nature. My idea it that people could get better at animating things like animals or a set being built. (I also though it might be cool to see someone animate a lego person climbing a rope, or maybe dancing.
Just some suggestions! Hope that I am not just being annoying.

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.

How about something like "exaggerated reactions" like frightened or happy.