Re: The Animation Challenge

What about a minifigure getting squashed by a heavy object?

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

rioforce wrote:

Ehhh, these all sound boring and not much of a challenge. This is the animation challenge after all. Let's do stuff that is not often used, challenging, and interesting. Here's some ideas:

• Brick Motion Blur (like they did in The LEGO Movie)

• Squash and Stretch with LEGO (A great challenge, since LEGO is so rigid)

• Anticipation and follow-through (notice I'm using a theme of the 12 Principles of Animation)

• Moving weighted objects (a lot of time objects in our animation seem to be weightless and consistent)

• Exaggeration (again, more of a cartoony effect not easily pulled off with rigid bricks)

Interesting themes, Rioforce! I like "Brick motion blur" most, so let's it will be the next challenge theme! The deadline will be on Tuesday, 3rd November. Can't wait to see some entries)

I think motion blur was already done, but it was in the previous thread. Not sure if we want to do it again.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Kieren Barnett wrote:

I think motion blur was already done, but it was in the previous thread. Not sure if we want to do it again.

Well, I was looking through the old thread and if it was done, I'm sure it was quite some time ago. In addition, there are no rules against recycling ideas every now and then. If you want to sit out this round, nothing compels you to enter. Also, attendance has been so low the past few rounds I don't think a "boring" challenge could make it much worse. I'm going to make an entry this time, and I'm pretty sure rioforce will as well, so that's at least 2 entries right there.

Remember, this is brick-built motion blur, which means it involves creating motion blur using an in-camera method rather than work in post. (A few scenes in The LEGO Movie use this method, including This One )

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

For what it's worth, I always find the animation challenge topics interesting. It's the timelines that kill it for me! I just don't have enough time to get something planned and executed within the deadline. (Now if I didn't have that pesky family and annoying job...) Nevertheless, I always enjoy seeing what you all manage to pull off.

here is my entry:

https://youtu.be/C0Xnsug8ARY

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Nice entry, Randomboaz. You've tackled the brick-built motion blur perfectly.

Here's my entry

Kinda disappointed to be honest. I had other stuff going on though, and I could only do so much last minute.

Last edited by Brickcrazy (November 2, 2015 (11:01pm))

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

This is my entry

I was cramming for time to do this, because I was in the middle of another project, but I suppose it came out alright. You be the judge.

@Boaz, that was cool, I like how it spun in the air!

@Brickcrazy, Fantastic, I like your use of easing in the motion blur, he slowed down quite well.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Well, today is wednesday, that's why this animation challenge is over. Now to results.
The winner of this week is RandomBoaz. I liked his entry most.
Brickcrazy, your entry is good, especially in lighting, but the move was a bit too simple.
Rioforce, you have also nice entry, but, again, worse than RandomBoaz's.
It's time for new challenge! RandomBoaz, take it out!

What theme will be next?

Wow, I was legitimately not expecting that, I thought rio's was way better, and Brickcrazy eased much better than I did, but ok.

The new theme is Flexibility, have an object or character be deformed by an impact into something and reverb back into place. Kinda like a water balloon when it doesn't pop.

The deadline is afternoon on Tuesday.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Why does no one enter?

N0odleBrick wrote:

Why does no one enter?

Actually, I'll post my entry tomorrow. What about you? Why you don't enter? mini/blankexpression

I am, I was gonna post my entry tomarrow. I'm very happy to know I will not be the only entry

Last edited by soupmanjack (November 9, 2015 (01:25pm))

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hey I made a thing.

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

Video is loading at the moment, but i think that you will be able to see it soon.      Update:ready now!

Last edited by Sergey's Studio (November 10, 2015 (01:23pm))

-My Entry

Nice entries!

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

This is great! Actual entries, yay! Alright, It's time for results.

The winner is... N0odlebrick! Congrats, I liked your rebound, and your easing was amazing (also very mathematical), and spreading of the objects were extremely interesting to watch. Although the second animation was a bit wobbly. Good job. 

@Sergey, nice concept and working of the bricks, but your easing was lacking.

@1011Ev, I loved the stretchy man, but the block of (jello?) didn't form well according to real physics, and had a strange pause before reforming.

Alright N0odleface, take it away!

-RandomBoaz    YouTube