Re: The Long Way Home (an adventure in cinematography)

rioforce wrote:

It must be the AVI codec you are using. I have never found success with AVI, they are like JPGs, they remove color data, and pixelate if not configured properly.

AVI is a container, not a codec. You can use different codecs within the .AVI structure and it is one of the primary standards for uncompressed video on PCs.

.mp4 is a container, too, although it's often associated with the h.264 codec which sounds like it's probably what you're talking about.

On my projects, I use uncompressed AVI files ("YUV" uncompressed codec setting or similar) but they are somewhat huge files.

Typically, I work with uncompressed .avis until the end of production. Then I convert it all to h.264 before uploading to the web.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Thanks for the advise. Another interesting thing, I noticed that the videos have far less noticeable compression artefacts when played with VLC Media Player than with Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player.

@Smeagol
That's also how I've been working so far on The Long Way Home apart from planning to export the end result to AVI.
I have now tried exporting it to MP4 but to similar results. I have two MP4 related codecs, one being AVC and the other being XDCAM EX; are either of these related to the h.264 codec? I'm using Vegas.

It's funny how adept LEGO actually is when building futuristic cyberpunk type sets. it feels very natural for the medium.
Also, here's a question:  I would love to have steam coming out of some of the pipes in the photo below but I'm not sure what the best is to go about doing this. Has anybody got any ideas?

http://i.imgur.com/HXUFXkt.jpg

I am coming towards the end of production with only a few more scenes to film.

I think the best way would be some post-production CGI effect.
Some people use cotton to wonderful effect as smoke, but I don't think it'll work as steam very well here.

If you can't do it, there are a number of folks on the site that are very skilled in that kind of thing, and I'm sure one of them would love to take on the job.

Very nice set by the way!

animationIsaac wrote:

That's also how I've been working so far on The Long Way Home apart from planning to export the end result to AVI.
I have now tried exporting it to MP4 but to similar results. I have two MP4 related codecs, one being AVC and the other being XDCAM EX; are either of these related to the h.264 codec? I'm using Vegas.

I'm not too familiar with Vegas. h.264 is a codec, just as AVC and XDCAM EX are codecs. But it is a different codec than those two.

What I do is export as an uncompressed avi (or QuickTime) and then compress to an h.264 MP4 file with HandBreak, I've never had much luck using my NLE to compress video.

@Pritchard
I'll mess around and see what I can do with cotton wool and if think it won't work then I'll think about CGI. Thanks for the advise.

@Smeagol
Okay.

@SlothPaladin
I'll download HandBreak and see whether that will work. Previously I was doing the same as you but I used Freemake Video Converter not HandBreak.

Mac or PC? I've had good luck with MPEG Streamclip on the PC front. That's what I used for exporting final products in h.264 for YouTube purposes before I began using Adobe Software. But HandBreak may be just as good, or better.

Smeagol wrote:

Mac or PC?

PC.
Okay, cool. I will download HandBreak and try Steamclip if I have no luck. Thanks mini/smile

Okay, so I've been messing about with Handbreak and I have been seeing improvements though very slight.
Here's a frame from Handbreak's MP4:

http://i.imgur.com/Ro3fcrP.png

Here is the previous avi which I showed before:

pixalated!

Finally here's the uncompressed:

http://i.imgur.com/w5L1c6r.png

@SlothPaladin. What settings in Handbreak that you find give the best results?

I have finished production! mini/bigsmile
I'm going to need a voice actor at some point, is anybody good at acting as a "moody, bad to the bone person"?
Post production wise I have completed 3 of the 14 scenes. Here's a frame:

http://i.imgur.com/CTtcGPF.jpg

How would you go about creating a dead atmosphere with sound? In the scene from the photo above, I'm hoping to give the city the minifigure is in a recently abandoned look and feel. So far I've been experimenting with silence but that seems to make the scene feel less like an abandoned city and more like an abandoned soundtrack. However I'm concerned that if I add too many sounds of machinery and pipes it will give the scene an over-animated feel. Maybe a fine balance inbetween?

Maybe a quite and slow wind sound effect would work.

What about a dog bark turned to quiet to make it sound far away.

Have you watch David Lynch films, take a look at the way he does soun scapes the sound design is practically it's own charicter

I think a very quiet muffled ambient background noise might help.  Also, I'd suggest exaggerating the sound effects you do hear to make the silence greater by comparison.  For instance, if the minifig is walking down the street, make he footsteps sound loud and echoing.  If possible, try adding in the sound of cloth swishing together, the creak of the soles of his shoes, perhaps even make his breathing audible, that sort of thing.  You could also animate some litter blowing around in the background, and add the sound of it blowing across the pavement along with a soft wind sound effect.  The odd wooden/metallic creak or groan could also be added in to make the atmosphere feel a bit more surreal.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

By the way, I have a tip for giving a sound an echo effect. Try copying the same sound and place it one frame in front of the other, then turn down that copy of the sound to half the volume of the first. That usually works for me.

@Vertigo, wow, that's a good idea, I'll have to try that myself sometime. I think that would create a very nice empty atmosphere effect.

@William, Most sound editors like Audacity or SoundForge have an echo, delay, or reverb that does that automatically.

Last edited by rioforce (August 11, 2015 (02:37pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Rio is right. Audacity does have those features, and in particular, I've found the reverb in it to be very handy in creating some really amazing atmospheric soundscapes. If you want to know how cool it is, just record yourself tapping or even hitting on your mic, and then add a good amount of reverb. It sounds so cool.

Also, I'm just picturing how the sound is going to turn out with this film after reading these amazing ideas. This is going to be one heck of a brickfilm.

Thanks everyone! mini/smile
With the footstrep idea, I've made the footsteps slightly louder than usual and added a very slight echo to them. I've found low hums can really add to the atmosphere of a film like this although it doesn't fit this particular scene. For this scene, I've gone for a repetitive machine sound that isn't too loud but feels like fills in when the minifigure isn't walking about. Sounds that are repetitive help sometimes in creating tension since they can sound like a ticking clock. I've also used the cloth swishing together idea.