Re: The Long Way Home (an adventure in cinematography)

Sorry for not updating this for awhile, everything has been going really slow recently and I don't see the need to update this thread unless I have something of worth to say about the film. Production these past few weeks has been going slowly but smoothly and I'm really looking forward to having my exams out the way. I still hope to release this film late summer to early autumn and hope to get a trailer together in late June. I will now after walking the dog destroy a set with a rock and rebuild. The next set I am building will be an audition room.
What do you think of the frame in the last post?

I really love the view we have of the man as he's pretty tiny compared to the rest of the frame. It kinda gives an atmosphere of "man vs. world" which I absolutely love. Also, take as much time on this film as needed, this should be the best it can be.

Thanks mini/bigsmile
I just built a LEGO tripod which turned out to be a lot less tricky than I thought it would be. This tripod will play a surprisingly important role in the film!

http://i.imgur.com/K6r9Vzh.jpg

This is still a "prototype" since I would like to change it's legs to black to make it look a little more up to date. Anything else any of you guys might add to it or do you think it looks good?

I like the design. Do the legs move because they have wiggle room inside the steering wheel? My imagination makes your build look a little shaky. If you have to animate it at all you might want to find a more secure build. I think it will move more than you want. If it's sitting and you don't have to touch it-good job. It looks like a tripod and is minifig scale.

If you do have to animate it-you might want to use clips to anchor the legs (top and bottom).

Have fun.
Jared

legogod wrote:

Do the legs move because they have wiggle room inside the steering wheel? My imagination makes your build look a little shaky.
If you do have to animate it-you might want to use clips to anchor the legs (top and bottom).
Jared

Thanks, yes they do move but not so easily unless you deliberately move them . It will be stationary most of the time but a minifigure will pick it up off the floor in one scene. I'll have plenty of time to try some different designs since I am not animating the scene its in quite yet. mini/sunnies

Over the past few days I have animated. Proof right here.

proof

I won't be able to animate this weekend though due to exam work. On a higher note, I'm going to watch Mad Max Fury Road at the cinema next week. Anyone here seen it yet? I'm pretty exited mini/bigsmile

animationIsaac wrote:

Over the past few days I have animated. Proof right here.

proof

I won't be able to animate this weekend though due to exam work. On a higher note, I'm going to watch Mad Max Fury Road at the cinema next week. Anyone here seen it yet? I'm pretty exited mini/bigsmile

Isaac, you really never cease to amaze me. I love this frame!!! mini/bigsmile The lighting coming from the room behind the two figures is perfect, and I admire your thoroughness in set building as even the parts that are out of focus are detailed. Way to go Isaac, every frame makes me want to see this film more and more, can't wait.

Thank-you very much GHB mini/bigsmile
I would now say I'm approaching a third of the way through production which is on target for finishing production in the summer and getting the film out late summer/early autumn, so that's going well.
On a side note. Mad Max was pretty amazing. The storm scene was really great, I loved the way they mixed black and white with colour in that scene. This is me being picky but I really wish there could been a least one of:

http://i.imgur.com/TtuHTWo.png

It's such a trademark of the series and really adds to the feeling of complete insanity. Also it's really funny! Maybe they thought it was too out of place in the 21st century.

Last edited by animationIsaac (May 21, 2015 (11:13pm))

Since this is an "adventure in cinematography" I'm intrigued to know what you guys think about symmetry in frames :

Type 1, almost or everything symmetrical:

http://i.imgur.com/CZTOupy.jpg

Type 2, Centre framed and no obvious symmetry:

http://i.imgur.com/cCze50i.jpg

..and lastly type 3, Not centre framed and no symmetry:

http://i.imgur.com/uZIb2eu.jpg

I find myself often having small amounts of symmetry in lots of my wide shots, eg: type 2 however it has rarely if never been taken to Wes Anderson levels of symmetry. Which type if any do you folks prefer?

Last edited by animationIsaac (June 2, 2015 (11:58pm))

The type of symmetry in the first frame can be really powerful when used sparingly and purposefully, so I really like that first frame. The second one is good also. I assume that the last frame is going to be pushed in a bit in post? Maybe so that the camera is predominantly focused on the minifigs head and upper body?

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

There isn't really a right or wrong answer to any of this--it really boils down to personal preference and what you want your scene to look and feel like.  For example, the symmetrical shot you used for the school classroom (if that is what it is) works very well since schools are often very regimented and controlled environments, so it makes sense to reflect this using cinematography.  On the other hand, if you want to convey chaos and ambiguity, a disorganized and asymmetrical frame would be a much better choice.  Symmetrical frames also lend themselves well to visual comedy, I think, since there's something inherently funny about people or objects lined up in a certain way. 

You could also play with these expectations as well, by, for example, having a very symmetrical frame and then have a character walk into the frame and disrupt the symmetry to show he/she does not fit in.  It really depends what you're going for--the cinematography should fit the scene you want to convey.  Either way, it's best not to overuse one particular style.  I remember watching The Grand Budapest Hotel, and becoming annoyed because the movie overused symmetry and head-on/profile shots to the point where the cinematography and editing felt choppy and mechanical, which disrupted my immersion in the story.  (Having said that, I feel like this film has grown on me considerably since I've seen it, so I'll likely feel very different about it if I watch it again sometime.)

Also, if you want to improve your cinematography skills, I would highly recommend looking at this YouTube channel, if you haven't already (it's been mentioned on this site a few times already, so you may have already come across it).

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Thanks for the replies. I enjoy knowing other peoples opinions on stuff like this. I would say I share the same opinion as Vertigo in many ways. All of these different types of shot can be used to help the director in visually telling the story or the feeling of a film. I also agree with Sonjira that especially when not overused, a wide symmetrical shot of say, a mansion or other big building can be very powerful and I can be sometimes slightly annoyed when a location in a film lends itself naturally to this sort of shot and the director doesn't utilise it.

Sonjira wrote:

I assume that the last frame is going to be pushed in a bit in post?

I don't know, I'll see how it looks when I'm editing the film. It will naturally be slightly cropped since the frames will all be converted to the 16:9 aspect ratio.
Also, thank-you Vertigo for linking me to "Every Frame a Painting", I've been looking for a channel like this!

I have finished my exams and I am going to have plenty more time to work on The Long Way Home which is exiting. I'm going away for a few weeks though beforehand to climb some mountains meaning this thread will not be updated again for a while.
In the meantime what's your thoughts on this?

http://i.imgur.com/YK9juWh.jpg

Very nice. I especially like the lighting you did with that roof lamp. However, I think the moonlight could be less bright. I personally prefer when moonlight illuminates the subjects, but doesn't distract them by showing us it's there purposefully.

While it may be just a little on the bright side, I don't see that as much of a problem.
You can darken it easier in post than you can lighten it, and better to see too much, than nothing at all.

The set looks good, and I love the use of the LED. One would think that having so little color would make the yellow pop out more. But it sees to go very well with the rest of the set, and is noticeable, but without being obnoxious.

Well, here I am again. I didn't fall off a cliff
Thank you for the feedback!

LMDigitalMovies wrote:

I think the moonlight could be less bright.

Although it does look like moonlight, it's actually from a nearby floodlight that was shown in one of the earlier frames. If it was moonlight, for me it wouldn't necessarily need to be darker, but the light would have to look softer giving less harsh shadows.
Today I'm going to be quite busy doing other things but later this week I will re start production. More updates soonio.

So here's a set I'm working on:

http://i.imgur.com/zK3Y8VC.jpg

In the scene where this set is used, I'm going to shoot a continuous shot following the main character as he comes in through into the garden, through the back door, through the kitchen, through the lounge and finally stops tracking him once he heads upstairs. I've been wanting to do shots like this for a few reasons, I really enjoy seeing shots like this in other films as for me it improves the feel of realism in the film since it feels the camera is not confined to a single set. There's a scene in Alice Doesn't Live Here Any more (Martin Scorsese) that I particularly like where the main character is taken from the front of the cafe through a corridor out to the back of the cafe into some outside toilets whilst the camera follows them. Funnily enough in the corridor you could see the camera man's shadow but for me this all added realism to the scene; showing us that this is in fact a real cafe since the camera man can move freely throughout the cafe without being stopped at the end of the set. It also shows the limited control the camera crew have over the surroundings since in a studio you could easily remove the shadow of the cameraman by moving the positioning of a few lights.
The other reason was that in my last film, BULB, I moved the camera position way too many times making parts of the film not containing action feel weird and chopped.
Wow, that was long!

Here's a question; how's best to compress videos when it comes to putting the final project on YouTube?
Here's a frame from some compressed footage:

pixalated!

This was compressed from raw to avi at 1080p and frankly this image looks awful! It's pixelated as hell.  Is there any way it could be compressed better or is it best to keep everything raw?

I have the same problem...

It must be the AVI codec you are using. I have never found success with AVI, they are like JPGs, they remove color data, and pixelate if not configured properly. I recommending using a .mp4 format. However, most mp4 formats slightly darken the footage, so you have to brighten it slightly before rendering (if you're using Sony Movie Studio or Vegas, it's quite easy to do, there's a function for that).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b