Re: BRAWL 2014 Update Thread!

I've got about a third of the animation done I'm guessing. Some parts of it don't look the greatest, but oh well. Still waiting for lines from some of my voice actors, thus preventing me from starting on the next few scenes, which doesn't make me too worried. I'm shooting to have my film finished, uploaded and entered by Friday evening as I'm leaving on a trip the next morning. I'll be missing the end of BRAWL, sadly. mini/sad

CheesyBricks wrote:

Just wondered if anyone had any feedback on this set. It's only featured very briefly, but I feel like there's something missing. It's meant to be a large supermarket (think walmart/tesco) and the 1x1 tiles in front are supposed to be cars.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-urfe7oTRcDU/U87W9LOW2eI/AAAAAAAAAA0/w7-kcq3Nj3g/w958-h539-no/bIMG_3072.jpg

I think the building itself is pretty great, but a nice backdrop with some trees and possibly other buildings would do it well. Also, the sign seems a bit big compared to the scale of the building. I'm not sure people would assume cars when they saw those 1 x 1 tiles. Maybe make them a bit taller with studs or something.

@Cheesy, it needs a blue sky, and if you put a brown round stud under two or three of the green cones they'd be decent trees that would help the mini-scale effect. For mini-scale cars, try two cheese slopes back-to-back, they may suggest "cars" better than those tiles, although they'd probably be too big at that point.

@Endfilms, looks great!

The competition seems really good this year, glad to see everybody giving it their best.
Can't wait to see some of these films. mini/bigsmile

Also, by far not the best frame from that sequence, and yes, the blue tile has a purpose that's shown in other angles. But it's the only shot using just the letter mod, and one of the few that doesn't give away major spoilers. I'm also throwing around different titles, but the best reveals a cool plot point that I'd rather not let loose just yet, so just hang tight regarding that.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff416/PritchardStudios/BRAWL141_zps8de44b75.jpg

I'm beginning to wonder whether I'll actually be able to complete my film on time.  I still have to shoot almost all my dialogue, plus find sound effects and edit.  Looks like I might not be able to make it. mini/sad

Oh well, tomorrow is still a day...

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder whether I'll actually be able to complete my film on time.  I still have to shoot almost all my dialogue, plus find sound effects and edit.  Looks like I might not be able to make it. mini/sad

NOOOOOO dude! I was looking forward to your film especially! Please try and make an effort to finish!

So, guys, I've hit a little bit of a problem.
I'm animating Korange right now and I've got to the point where the faceless elf walks in, which I've animated from behind.  However, the next thing that happens is the Pumpkins Three spending about ten seconds poetically describing her.  The problem in this is that I can't actually properly show the Faceless Elf from the front until the end of the description where the Pumpkins Three finish off with her lacking of a face.
During these ten seconds I'm not exactly sure what I should animate.  I could do some fancy dolly shots of Korange, but that would probably feel boring.

Anyone have any ideas for it?  I need them.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I believe in you.

Also, motivational sounding music just came on in the other room wherein my mum has the radio on.

The days remaining are sufficient.  You do at least have an idea at this point.  That is good.

So...I was locked out of my Skype account for "suspicious activity."

Filled out a release form and should be getting my account back within 24 hours.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Also, by far not the best frame from that sequence, and yes, the blue tile has a purpose that's shown in other angles. But it's the only shot using just the letter mod, and one of the few that doesn't give away major spoilers. I'm also throwing around different titles, but the best reveals a cool plot point that I'd rather not let loose just yet, so just hang tight regarding that.

Amazing set you've got there!

mod edit: no need to quote a picture if it's on the same page

https://bricksafe.com/files/Wammy/Our%20Friend%20Pablo.jpg  Watch it on YouTube!

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."
~ Psalm 23:6 ~

I like your frame, Pritchard.

The incorporation of the letter mod is pretty good.

Also, Fun Sucker said that the weird medieval weapon I used for the Potion Purple set works as a K, so for anyone doing a film wherein those would work it's a nice way to keep the mod without disrupting the colour of your frame and yet not looking so obtrusively like a K that it's out of place.

Squid wrote:

I'm animating Korange right now and I've got to the point where the faceless elf walks in, which I've animated from behind.  However, the next thing that happens is the Pumpkins Three spending about ten seconds poetically describing her.  The problem in this is that I can't actually properly show the Faceless Elf from the front until the end of the description where the Pumpkins Three finish off with her lacking of a face.
During these ten seconds I'm not exactly sure what I should animate.  I could do some fancy dolly shots of Korange, but that would probably feel boring.

Why can't you just show the Pumpkin's Three?

https://bricksafe.com/files/Wammy/Our%20Friend%20Pablo.jpg  Watch it on YouTube!

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."

Wammy wrote:

Why can't you just show the Pumpkin's Three?

Somehow that feels a little wrong.  In every other part of the film every detail that is described appears as it's said.  going against that rule for a moment would feel a bit wrong, as that's an important element in Faloovian style.

I've been considering doing it in the way that I did Sharks and Clowns when Gregory and Issac appear, however, Sharks and Clowns was a more light-hearted and silly film (despite ending in double genocide).  The tone of this one is somewhat darker than that of S&C.

Squid wrote:

Extreme close-up dollies and pans, all at canted angles, of the Faceless Elf, but of every aspect of her other than her face (across torso, down arms, etc). You could make it really creepy, like this scene only more subtle about the facelessness thing, and generally better (I thought The Idiot's Lantern was one of the more naff episodes of the series, though still not as bad as Love and Monsters).

To break that up, you could also try some similar shots of the Pumpkins Three, but of their faces, to distinguish them from the figure being described. They'd also need to be quite animated (pun not intended) to show that they're speaking.

Hope some of this might help.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Squid wrote:

How about a rotating dolly shot that goes around the back of the Faceless Elf as the Pumpkins Three 'dance' around her as they describe her; the rotation ends revealing her face just as the description ends?

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

I stabbed myself in the finger with a 1.2mm diameter needle today at work. This may put me back a little animation wise, but I'm going to try to work through it.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2907/14719070574_de56109f80_z.jpg

backyardlegos wrote:

I stabbed myself in the finger with a 1.2mm diameter needle today at work. This may put me back a little animation wise, but I'm going to try to work through it.

Ouch!  I hope you'll be able to finish your video! mini/smile

mod edit: no need to quote a picture if it's on the same page, especially one post above yours

rub some dirt on it and drink water. You'll be just fine.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Motherfudger. iStopMotion crashed and I had about five seconds of unsaved animation. mini/confused

Ugh.

First 3 seconds animated, except it's midday Wednesday over here, and I work all day Friday.

Yeah, I'm behind.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Made a quick poster for BRAWL 2014, not sure if I'll finish in time but anyway here it is:

Brawl 2014

- Available to compose for any upcoming projects -

GHB wrote:

NOOOOOO dude! I was looking forward to your film especially! Please try and make an effort to finish!

Squid wrote:

I believe in you.

Also, motivational sounding music just came on in the other room wherein my mum has the radio on.

The days remaining are sufficient.  You do at least have an idea at this point.  That is good.

Thanks, this means a lot to me. mini/smile

I'm currently putting together all my lines in sequence, then going to animate the dialogue.  I also have animated a great shot that is probably my most technically complex (though still fairly easy to animate) which I hope is going to look amazing (though I fear I may have marred it with my clumsy inexperienced-animator hands).

Squid wrote:

How about a series of extreme close-ups that show the body parts of the Faceless Elf that the Pumpkins Three are talking about?  Or maybe a slow twisting pan all around her body as the Pumpkins are talking, which reveals her face (or non-face) just as the ten seconds are up.  Either way, I think some sort of camera movement that reveals her face at the end would be best.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I am in really bad shape. Yesterday I filmed 1 scene of my film. It wasn't until after that I realize the mod elements have to be connected to each other. I had the mods element in, but they weren't connected. mini/madhead I have to redo that today. (That was the only scene I did)

I basically have 3 1/2 days to film and edit. I don't know if I can make it but I'll try!

(To make it worse I am still struggling with an annoying cold...:P)

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."