Re: BRAWL 2014

Pritchard Studios wrote:

@Flying, please come join us in the fun. It's not about your skills, it's about being in the middle of a huge community event. I sure hope you decide to enter.

Generally I don't enter contests/challenges unless I feel that there's a reasonable chance I'll win, or at least be able to make a half-decent entry.  (Yes, I realise that it's not about winning per se, and in this case I'd definitely do it for the experience more than anything else).  The way I see it, if I'm not able to a quality entry I'd be better off focusing my energies elsewhere.

Having said all that, I intend to enter after all.  If nothing else it'll give me an excuse to animate and be a good experience.  I've installed my editing software on a more powerful computer (which should make editing much easier), and am going to clean up my animation space and maybe do some warm-up animation.  Best of all, my new mic arrived today and I've finally solved my audio problems.  Time to do this thing.  *cracks knuckles*

Squid wrote:

For me BRAWL starts at 7 PM here (EST).  So BRAWL starts today.
Let's do this.

For me it starts at midnight.  Oh well, it's not like I'm much of a morning person anyway....

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (July 19, 2014 (07:06am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Starts at 8am tomorrow for me, so I'll spend Sunday gathering my thoughts. Hopefully by Monday I can start set building. 10 hours to go. Can't wait.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Starts at midnight for me too. I still haven't decided whether I'll be entering. My parents think I spend too much time in my room anyway, so I doubt they'd be very happy if I spent a week on BRAWL.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

BRAWL starts at midnight for me, quite happy about that to be honest.
Seems my 'studio' is in shape, the only problem is, is just the editing software I have, which is the dreaded Windows Movie Maker.

Squid wrote:

I usually check to make sure that certain voice actors I like are up for acting just in case, it saves a tiny bit of time in the contest because you won't call an actor who isn't able.  It doesn't go against the spirit, it's just keeping everything organized beforehand similarly to cleaning your studio.
I haven't done it though because I really want to try something without dialogue or very little.  I may give up on that anyway.

For me BRAWL starts at 7 PM here (EST).  So BRAWL starts today.
Let's do this.

I guess were lucky,

BRAWL starts today for both of us. Ya! mini/bigsmile mini/tongue

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Wait, I miscalculated the time...

Instead of it starting a 9PM it starts at 7PM same as Squid.

That's even better! mini/tongue

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

For me, it's starts at 5 in the evening. I'm probably going to formulate ideas tonight and finalize a script hopefully, and then tomorrow, get started on animation.

π Cherry π Banana Cream π Pumpkin π Lemon-Lemon π Black Berry π Quiche π

PrestigiousPieProductions wrote:

For me, it's starts at 5 in the evening. I'm probably going to formulate ideas tonight and finalize a script hopefully, and then tomorrow, get started on animation.

I couldn't help but make some idea's in my mind. There great but I don't know if they'll fit the contest theme.

Harborlight Productions wrote:

I couldn't help but make some idea's in my mind. There great but I don't know if they'll fit the contest theme.

Yeah, me too... I'm kind of giddy with excitement. It's really hard not to think about ideas and setups... stuff like that. But, like you said, it has to fit in the theme, I just hope that my best ideas will fit.

But whatever the theme is, it's going to be a really fun and interesting week!

Just checked with my parents. I should be home for the start of the contest. But, I'll be out of town from Monday through Thursday (or Friday). Hopefully, I should be able to get some of my entry done today, a little tomorrow, and whatever I've got left after I get home at the end of the week.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

The way I did it last year was I took a shower and thought out an idea then wrote the entire script and still got to bed in a reasonable time. I built on Sunday, spent the next four days animating, started editing on Friday, pulled an all-night editing run, then rendered and uploaded on Saturday.  Such a strategy worked reasonably well.

Mickey wrote:

Just checked with my parents. I should be home for the start of the contest. But, I'll be out of town from Monday through Thursday (or Friday). Hopefully, I should be able to get some of my entry done today, a little tomorrow, and whatever I've got left after I get home at the end of the week.

I hope you can pull it through. mini/smile

Just to check, if the letter mod of the film isn't on a Lego piece it still counts, right? For instance, would it still count if written on paper?

Yes, many people put in pieces of paper to write the mod.  It's something done quite often in BRAWL.

6:00 tonight for me. I'm really getting pumped! mini/bigsmile

Oh, by the way, I'll be available for voice acting Wednesday and on during the week of BRAWL if you need me.

My studio still isn't quite up to speed yet after my move, but if I'm able to keep the scope of my film simple and straightforward, I still think I'll be able to participate!

Just wanted to let people know if anyone needs voicing I'll be around throughout the week of BRAWL!

Hopefully entering as well!

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Nathan Wells wrote:

My studio still isn't quite up to speed yet after my move, but if I'm able to keep the scope of my film simple and straightforward, I still think I'll be able to participate!

I was in the exact same situation with Odoriferous.  I had just barely managed to clean my studio and set things up after moving and all of it was all unfamiliar.  Still, making a BRAWL film is a great way to break it in and make it feel like home very quickly.

So how much time do you guys think is the maximum for pre-production?

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

Lavamation wrote:

So how much time do you guys think is the maximum for pre-production?

I'd say a day, like Squid said before, most of the time should be spent on animating... I'd have to agree with that. And the rest (building, scripting, editing, and uploading) should be done in the span of 2-3 days (depending on when the contest starts for you).

I have a question: Do people do BRAWLumentries? Like some people do during THAC, except for BRAWL?

Last edited by PrestigePie (July 19, 2014 (10:35am))