Topic: Spoilers! (opinion poll)

Well, I'm now in a thoroughly bad mood because after months of distancing myself from tumblr, certain facebook feeds and not even looking at the episode titles for fear of spoilers, a 'friend' of mine just sent me a huge spoiler for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., for no reason. Literally just messaged it to me out of the blue, just because he's 4 episodes ahead of me.

So, what are everyone's opinions of spoilers? Please discuss as well as voting.

KTHNXBAI LOL HASHTAG

Oh, and don't post any actual spoilers for anything. Be civil, we don't want to end up spoiling something for someone.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: Spoilers! (opinion poll)

I really hate spoilers sometimes.  I really do.  I want to be surprised then something important comes along.

Sometime last year before checking my mail, I saw a link to an article with the headline "Shocking TV deaths this season" obviously, I wouldn't click on that article because I wouldn't want anything spoiled for me, but whoever inconsiderate vispwoshton who wrote that article set the preview picture as a side character from a TV show I really, really wanted to watch, and thus I became cognizant of the fact that that character dies.  Now that I am finally watching the show, I have the annoying nagging knowledge in the back of my mind that this character is going to die, and I have had it ever since they first appeared, and I hate this.  I really hate this.

Also, I had wanted to watch Frozen unspoiled.  I wanted it to be as fresh as possible when I watched it, so I went to great trouble to avoid even seeing a trailer for it, and I never ever listened to the songs because I wanted to hear them first in the context of the film.
However, thanks to some vispwoshton on Twitter, my efforts were wasted, and an important plot point was spoiled, which is a shame, because I really was looking forward to how fresh it was going to be.

However, there is an interesting point I would like to bring up, and that is one which I think was made by Joseph Delage who helps with Marble Hornets.
Joseph Delage thinks that there is little merit to a story if what matters most is relying upon plot twists that can easily be spoiled, and that a really good story is still really good even if you know everything that is going to happen, or something like that, which is a very interesting viewpoint, though not something I entirely agree with.

My own stories, and especially Riigo-Faloo often relies upon several easily spoiled plot twists.  And sometimes double plot twists in which one originally thinks one thing but then it twists around to some great reveal but then there's another twist later and you realize you were kinda wrong about the first twist and it's really like the original idea and the first twist are almost true simultaneously.

There are certain times when having a twist spoiled for me makes me feel hurt inside, as if a certain enjoyment I could have had were stolen from me, and at certain times I feel as if I would rather suffer some sort of physical pain rather than the annoyance of a spoiler.

I used to run a secret blog on Tumblr, one about a delightfully obscure subject which makes absolutely no sense, and I had a great fun time running this blog because I was entirely separated from anything else I had previously done and went about making really, really funny things for that blog.
However, due to the fact that Tumblr is so full of spoilers, I've been trying to stay away from it, and by extension my fun little blog, which managed to quickly gain very large amounts of followers despite being unconnected to my relative popularity as a brickfilmer.  And that saddens me.

Squid wrote:

However, there is an interesting point I would like to bring up, and that is one which I think was made by Joseph Delage who helps with Marble Hornets.
Joseph Delage thinks that there is little merit to a story if what matters most is relying upon plot twists that can easily be spoiled, and that a really good story is still really good even if you know everything that is going to happen, or something like that, which is a very interesting viewpoint, though not something I entirely agree with.

I agree with this, but a lot of the time what makes a film or a tv show interesting is a combination of factors: plot twists yes, but also dialogue, characterisation, performance, cinematography...the list goes on. I find that if one is bad - normally the acting - it can sour the others. The same with plot twists. Even the most minor spoilers can put a downer on something, even if the plot point is minor and the film itself is a cinematographological masterwork.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Squid wrote:

It's kind of funny that this is coming from someone involved with Marble Hornets, considering the last thirty episodes or so have focused on teasing character reveals instead of moving the story along in a meaningful way.

Spoilers are the worst! Especially since don't get to watch an episode of a show a day after on my DVR. My sister always spoils everything we watch! It sucks so much, I always tell her to stop but she doesn't. She told me the plot twist of Frozen just before we were gonna watch it. She always tells me spoilers for Once Upon a Time. One time we were just talking about the normal stuff we talk about then, _______ dies! mini/madhead Some guy on Instagram just says a huge spoiler for The Amazing Spiderman 2, and he doesn't say Spoiler Alert until the end of the comment... Spoilers should be outlawed.

In general there are a lot of spoilers which come from social media where people want to discuss something but it's difficult to do so without spoiling it for someone who isn't up to date.
The problem could probably be easily mostly rectified if more sites had certain precautions to be easily set up as so they could be avoided.
Many people on Tumblr tag their posts #spoilers, but this doesn't do anything to hide it from anyone, it just clumps is into a category for if someone were to deliberately seek out spoilers for anything.  What would be nice is to have something across many sites where a post could be tagged as something like #Frozen spoilers and the post would only show a preview that warns of the spoilers and from where they originate, but you could easily click to bypass the warning to reveal the post.
Of course, many people mightn't use it correctly, but I do wish sites would implement such a thing.  I'm glad BiM has a spoiler hider, though.

I follow many people on Twitter who have the habit of live-tweeting every My Little Pony episode, but I usually watch every episode on TV as it airs, so that's not much of a problem.  I also usually watch Once Upon a Time the night it comes on, the only other show I watch the day it airs.  Of course, this one rare night last season I didn't watch in time had to be the only time where an acquaintance of mine spoiled it for me on Facebook.

It's pretty easy to capitalize a spoiler warning at the top of a Facebook status at least.  I do that sometimes, and I wish more people would at least try.

(Read the second and last paragraphs if you want the shorter version. mini/wink )

Aw, yeah, I've been avoiding most MCU/Lego Movie/ASM2 threads/posts for a while now.
I know we have spoiler tags, but people don't always use them, and it's just easier to not go in the thread at all.
So far I've been spoiled a bit on everything but ASM2, but it's hard to to be in this day and age.
Well, major MCU spoilers have come my way...But I won't go there. Except that I hate those AoS TV spots... mini/sad

I don't really mind minor ones, but when it's something major I hate hearing it before hand. (Ending of Thor 2) On the other hand, if something is really huge and controversial (Like the big Iron Man 3 things) I kinda wish I had been forewarned, even in a little way. Thankfully my friends are smart enough not to leak anything, and until recently I've been up-to-date enough to not worry about their conversations.

It takes some effort to avoid spoilers, but not hardly being involved with social media does help.
Usually I go in with a few small hints, but nothing concrete. And I like it that way. Just a few little hints that may or may not be true, or that may or may not happen in the expected way. Just barely enough to whet my appetite, but not enough to spoil the coming meal. After all, nothing is quite like seeing something amazing or shocking come right out of the blue. (Name of the Doctor anyone?) Or the anticipation of something mindblowing being fully realized when before it was but teased. (Smaug!)

Which basically means I watch all of the trailers, usually one or two of the clips, (The ones that look least spoiler-y, and rarely clips if it's TV.) and avoid any associated threads once the movie has it's first showing. But I don't mind looking up information some time before it hits, just to get a better idea of what the movie may hold.

As to my attitude towards others, I never release anything unless I'm asked, and then try to tell as little as possible unless they beg. Those conversations usually end with me saying "Just watch it" or (If it's my mom) "The movie will explain in about fifteen minutes." mini/tongue

While social media could try harder at blocking spoilers, there's no perfect way to filter the posts, but it's best to just avoid those sites altogether. News sites are a bit better, but are also best avoided unless you trust their policies. If you want to go in completely unknowing, you'll just have to cut yourself off completely. If you're all over unfiltered sites, chances are some idiot will ruin the twists for you.

I've stopped going on Tumblr because its full of Game of Thrones spoilers. The whole point of Game of Thrones is that at any moment a major character might die. Its a perfect example of 'The Sword of Damocles' theory, and this theory is ruined when someone tells you precisely when the sword is going to fall and cut your head and balls off.

And anyone who says "its your fault for not watching it" - screw you! I've only just finished the third season because I have other stuff to do! I'm reminded of that episode of Dexter's Laboratory where Dexter can't keep up with all these television shows everyones talking about, so he invents a device that makes him know everything about television, but in the process it turns his brain into pop-culture spewing mush.

I also avoid movie trailers these days, because stuff like The Amazing Spiderman 2 trailer give away half of the plot already (we know that the guy from Chronicle is going to turn into the Green Goblin, and we know that Electro's popping up. That's literally the first and second act summarised)

Although, I've been just as bad. I constantly spoil the ending to The Chronicles of Narnia because its quite possibly the worst ending ever - and its the reason your never going to see a film version of The Final Battle. Its one of those things thats so bad I need to tell everyone I know about it.

Last edited by Max Butcher (May 14, 2014 (12:40pm))

YouTube
Max, She/They

I keep seeing spoilers to films I haven't seen yet- Apollo 13, Titanic, United 93... it's like people think those endings are common knowledge or something mini/tongue

But seriously, I'm not a fan of having surprises spoiled. For example, I had

Spoiler (click to read)

Tom Baker's

appearance in The Day of The Doctor spoiled after I googled his name innocently a couple of days before, and there was a Google News result with the spoiler in the title. I think the argument that the best stories don't rely on spoilers can be very true, but not all spoilers have to be major plot points. In this case, I felt robbed of a magical piece of television history, more than anything.

There's also the question of when a spoiler no longer becomes a spoiler. I only watched the Lord of the Rings films very recently, and had part of the ending spoiled to me a few months before. I was slightly annoyed at that, mainly because I'd managed to have very little of the rest of the story spoiled, but I can't say I had anyone else to blame- most of the rest of the population had seen the films when they came out a decade ago, or read the books which have been out for half a century now! Similarly, I knew of the ending to Planet of the Apes before I watched it, because the twist in that film has become such an iconic, well known thing.

Having said that, you have to ask what the motive of the spoiling is. In the case of LOTR, it was to illustrate a point, and it worked quite well because most people had seen the films. Then you have things being spoiled simply for destruction- for example, a 'friend' of mine spoiling the end of Of Mice And Men, which the class was reading through in English lessons- and most people had never read before.

I guess to make a long story short (spoiler alert!) there's no definitive way of judging whether something is a spoiler or not. Like everything in life, it helps to have a good dosage of common sense and thoughtfulness- for both the spoiler, and the spoiled. Sadly that's far easier said than done.

@Max Butcher- I can see why the ending of The Last Battle might seem disappointing, but it achieves everything that C.S.Lewis intended for the series.

A friend of mine tried to argue that there is a spoiler period by talking about Star Wars. The first three came out long before me or any of my friends were born, and yet a lot of plot points we grew up knowing purely because they had become so ingrained in popular culture.

I then pointed out that when I finally saw Return of the Jedi around the age of nine or ten, I had not been spoiled for the ending at all. The whole thing came to me completely fresh, unlike The Empire Strikes Back. The same goes for the first three Indiana Jones films. While watching Raiders of the Lost Ark, I had no idea about

Spoiler (click to read)

the supernatural twist at the end. Up until that point, it had been a real-world approach to treasure hunting, and so the explosion of ghosts and God's wrath from the ark was a complete surprise to me.

I saw Raiders on my 11th birthday, in 2007. Raiders came out in 1981, 14 years before I was even born, let alone saw the thing.

My point is that spoiler periods depend on who you're talking to, and not the subject matter. If you intend to see something, then its spoiler period has not expired. If you already know the spoiler or don't mind being spoiled, when then the spoiler period has expired. My anecdote about Indiana Jones proves that time is irrelevant to a spoiler period.

Jayem wrote:

@Max Butcher- I can see why the ending of The Last Battle might seem disappointing, but it achieves everything that C.S.Lewis intended for the series.

I would rant about it, but A) This isn't the place to do it, and B) Philip Pullman summed up my critique perfectly. (Ironically, the link contains spoilers. Don't click if you haven't read The Last Battle - or if someone like me hasn't told you what happens at the end)

YouTube
Max, She/They

I'm a huge fan of Narnia, especially the Silver Chair, I've even been in a Narnia play, but the Last Battle stunk worse than a treasure stealing magical unicorn.
It was really bad.  Really bad compared to the rest of it all.  It wasn't climactic enough, though it did have some interesting concepts and descriptions, but it still stunk.

I never had Star Wars spoiled for me because I first watched Star Wars at such a young age that I cannot remember first watching it.  I feel as if I were born already knowing everything that happens in the original trilogy.
Of course, that might be counted as a sort of spoiler, because I will never ever know what it would be like to first watch Empire and understand the significance of the twist as it is revealed.

The Lord of the Rings on the other hand ties Star Wars as my favourite film and I remember first watching it.  But for Lord of the Rings I was already very familiar with the plot.  I hadn't read the book, but I had heard the Hobbit on audio book and my family had basically informed me of the entire plot and how almost everything happens.  In fact, like Star Wars I was told most of the plot of the Lord of the Rings before being old enough to be annoyed that it was spoiled.  Somehow knowing everything didn't at all cause detriment to my viewing of the trilogy.  Something about the nature of the story made me feel like it was more about enjoying the journey even if I already knew all that happened, which is probably one of the reasons it has such a great re-watch value for me.

I know I'm weird, but I often ask people for spoilers about movies I haven't seen because if it is an action-adventure film, I may know it will be a long time before I will have a chance to see it, and I am too excited and impatient to find out what happens in it.  If it is a drama, I ask for specific information because I am worried that something is going to happen that I hate, like a child getting killed.  In a mystery, I don't generally want to know what will happen because that defeats the whole purpose in watching a mystery; however, I don't get worked up when a mystery is spoiled, just disappointed.  The point is, I enjoy the whole movie experience whether I know what is going to happen or not. 

I would NEVER intentionally reveal spoilers to anyone without his/her permission.  That is unbelievably rude and, in my opinion, done so people feel they have power over you.  They feel control because they have upset you.  Either that or they are the most clueless people in the world, but even clueless people should be able to control their tongues when they are told that what they are doing upsets you.

Max Butcher wrote:

I would rant about it, but A) This isn't the place to do it, and B) Philip Pullman summed up my critique perfectly. (Ironically, the link contains spoilers. Don't click if you haven't read The Last Battle - or if someone like me hasn't told you what happens at the end)

Fair enough. I won't further this discussion, other than to link you to this (admittedly rather long) response to the criticisms of Pullman. Though I get the impression both of us have made up our minds!

Interestingly, the guy who wrote this also wrote 'Planet Narnia', which reveals a secret code behind the books- each related to one of the Medieval heavenly bodies.

My wife & I were watching a movie she never saw before, and her former best friend came over and said upon entering, "Oh, I love this movie you're watching!  I love at the end when...." and gives it all away!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

It depends on what it is. If it is some show I've never herd of before, no I don't care about spoilers. But if it's a film series like the Marvel films YES don't tell me how it ends!!!!!!! But I will probably know everything that would spoil Star Wars episode 7 three months before the film comes out. mini/lol

Spoilers are nasty little things, aren't they?  Some things I'm not concerned with it being spoiled.  What happens to the ring in the Lord of the Rings, the familial relationships in Star Wars, those are all things that I feel are ingrained in our culture so much that it's not really a spoiler even if you technically tell them before they see the movies.  IF they see the movies. 

For movies based on books...I think it's a bit different if the books have been out a fair amount of time, I'm not as concerned.  I feel it's almost unfair to expect people to not say any spoilers about a really popular book that came out 3 years ago because the movie just came out.  It'd be nice, but no biggie. 

When people spoil Marvel movies that's just horrible!  No, but seriously.  Some stuff I'd say is almost common knowledge if it, say, happened in the comics 40 years ago.  It's like oh...well we all knew it would have to happen anyway. 

Spoiler (click to read)

I'm looking at you, Amazing Spider-man 2

Most character deaths spoiled are just cruel (except for the exceptions above).

Y'know, I think we should just get rid of the freedom to be able to talk about movies at all on the forums.  Take that away and we don't need to worry about spoilers as long as you never leave this site, how's that sound?!

Galactic Films wrote:

But I will probably know everything that would spoil Star Wars episode 7 three months before the film comes out. mini/lol

How, pray tell, will you manage that?

JonnDthunDer wrote:

How, pray tell, will you manage that?

The internet always knows...

YouTube
Max, She/They

In the new Godzilla movie, which my brother & a gang of his friends saw last night,

Spoiler (click to read)

There are no Siskel & Ebert impersonators

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Well Jampot I just got spoiled for the the end of The Amazing Spider-Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mini/eek