Topic: Star Wars or Star Trek - Which is better?

It's the question of the century... "Which is better: Star Wars or Star Trek?"
So. . . . . . . . . WHICH IS BETTER: STAR WARS OR STAR TREK???

Go!

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Re: Star Wars or Star Trek - Which is better?

Star Trek. No, Star Wars! No, Star Trek! No, Star Wars! No, Star Trek! No, Star Wars! No, Star Trek! No, Star Wars! No, Star Trek! No, Star Wars! No, Star Trek! No, Star Wars! No, Star Trek!
BRAIN FAILURE!!!
AAAAUUUGHHHHHHH!

Last edited by Brickelodeon (March 8, 2014 (05:03pm))

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

oh great, this argument again. THis willl inevitably cause some strife here.
I'm going to stand by Star Wars as I always have, simply because that's what I grew up with. I really really like Star Trek but I couldn't say it's better with a full conscience because im not all about that. Besides, the characters in TOS and the 2 newest movies just don't intrigue me. I like the characters from the next generation much more. But the fourth Star Trek movie, The Voyage Home, is an amazing film that is better than most of Star Wars.

Because I have beef with both of these series, Im tempted to ditch the prompt and say Homestuck

Neither of them is better its a matter of opinion and taste. Stop comparing everything.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Hmmm, if this can be kept on a mature and intelligent level, it could be a very interesting and enlightening topic.
If not, it could get very messy very quickly. *Glares at the second comment.*

They are two very different animals, and I haven't been exposed to that much of either one recently.
Star Wars only has 6, well, 7, movies and a handful of lower-profile TV shows.
Star Trek has 12 movies, and 6 TV shows of varying popularity. (726 episodes if Wiki is right)

Star Trek has much more in the way of media, but Star Wars seems to be a bit bigger in it's impact on pop culture.
Thing is, if you don't like three Star Wars movies, you only have a few left. Don't like two whole shows of Star Trek and you've still got a ton to watch.

Though Star Wars totally wins in the gaming world.

I grew up on Star Wars, but haven't cared for it for years. I know much less about Star Trek, but to me, both the Star Wars movies and the older Star Trek movies are 'meh' at best. BUT the new Star Trek movies are pretty good, and the only episode of Next Generation I've seen was fairly interesting. Right now I like Star Trek better, but if Matt Smith follows the rumors and acts in Star Wars Episode 7, my loyalties may change.

Is this what BiM has become? Pointless threads warring against which fandom is better?!

YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!! mini/madhead

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Galaxy Quest.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Pritchard Studios wrote:

but if Matt Smith follows the rumors and acts in Star Wars Episode 7, my loyalties may change.

My reaction in a nutshell: WHAAAAAAAT?!

To be honest, I do think that this may be more of a "wishful thinking"/"too-good-to-be-true" type rumour, since Matt Smith has been in Doctor Who.  However, seeing as Smith has left Doctor Who now and is now in Hollywood it's still a possibility.  And it would be pretty neat to see him in SW.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (March 9, 2014 (04:14am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

There's no need to have them fight.  They are both great.  One can enjoy both of the stories and not have any conflict.
The great thing about fandoms is that being in one doesn't mean you can't be part of another.  You can be an as many fandoms as want.

Both of them hold a special place in my heart and soul.

This thread would be far more interesting if it were an open discussion about people's favourite space themed sci-fi films/shows.

Also, Firefly.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Nah man, Classic Space is where we're at.  TIME TO BUILD SPACESHIPS!!!  SPACESHIPS!!!  SPACESHIPS!!!

EDIT: Oh man, I forgot you live in Australia, Sean.  Sorry if that was semi-insensitive. mini/confused mini/tongue

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (March 10, 2014 (01:12am))

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

Star Wars is more of a fantasy with a space setting (space opera) while Star Trek, at least pre 1996 or so, was more of a philosophical sci-fi type of storytelling that dealt with real world issues in abstracted ways characteristic of science fiction. I love the original Star Wars trilogy and some of the expanded universe as a sort of modern mythology, but Trek *tends* to have more to say. The original concepts of the two are pretty different, I think, though admittedly J.J. Abrams turned the franchise into being like Star Wars, but not as good. (better than the prequels, admittedly)

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sorry to say, but I don't really care for either of these... mini/shifty
It's probably because I haven't seen them in ages.. Same with LOTR. I'll go back to my dark corner now before you start bringing out the torches and pitchforks.. mini/sweat

- PlainBrick
Formerly MrLegoProductions
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/mrlego15/bg67_zps34f3201a.png
Youtube - My Latest Video

Battlestar Galactica.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

I gotta admit, even the original SW trilogy does not hold up as well as it used to for me. There's a general over-simplicity to the storytelling, and I don't think Luke is a compelling protagonist.

I remember playing the Mass Effect games and thinking "this is like Star Wars...except much more profound, complex, and thought-provoking." Some of the EU of Star Wars achieves this, but that's the thing of it. I think the best thing about Star Wars is the expansive universe that has been created by thousands of people in many forms of media.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I'm a massive Star Wars fan, and could never get into Star Trek (except the JJ Abrams ones).

I'd like to put Firefly, Mass Effect, and the Green Lantern comics as some of my fave renditions of space opera schtick.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I'm not at all familiar with Star Trek, so I can only really compare Star Wars.  In a way, it's almost like a modern version of the classic fairy tale, except there's perhaps less of a central moral/lesson to the story.  I think in some ways the simplicity is part of its appeal.

I would however say that the Prequel Trilogy is different, as it attempts to deal with modern problems like politics and suchlike, and while I appreciate that they were trying to do something different, it kinda falls flat to me personally in that regard.  Maybe it would have worked out better if the Prequel Trilogy wasn't marred by such problems as wooden acting (Episode II wouldn't have been half as bad if it weren't for those Padme-and-Anakin scenes).

However, I find the Prequel Trilogy is actually a lot better than a lot of people seem to think, Episode III in particular, which I think is on par with Return of the Jedi (although the Prequels still have their flaws and aren't as good as the Original Trilogy on the whole).  Still, the Original Trilogy has more of a charm to it, which may be partially due to the retro and somewhat dated technology (although the special effects hold up remarkably well despite being well over 30 years old).

Also, in terms of sci-fi shows, Doctor Who.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (March 9, 2014 (11:31am))

Star Wars is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I have found Star Trek to be more interesting and captivating, I have grown up on Star Wars, and I've always loved its unique worlds and sets, the characters, and the stories.

If we're talking about sci-fi shows, Red Dwarf and Firefly.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

This fan-boy war again?
Anyhow the most I've watched of Star Trek is only a few minutes; and they were of JJ Abrams version. Whereas I have watched Star Wars, a countless amount of times. I will say Star Wars, although I don't have a proper opinion on what Star Trek is like.