Re: Star Wars or Star Trek - Which is better?

C'Mon, we all know the answer to this one.

And Transformers (live action movie scapegoats excepted) beats them both!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

lloyd in space was really good

Last edited by Just Kidden (March 9, 2014 (11:52am))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

While I enjoy both Star Trek and Star Wars, I am a "Trekie." I like that Star trek deals with issues of moralaty and ethics, without being lecture-like. It presents these ideas in a fun, exciting, engaging format.
  But I've got to admit, Star trek is (in general) much heavier than Star Wars... The Original Trilogy, that is. Star Wars is cool, silly, and overall entertaining. It also has the big plus of not being graphic content-wise.

So... They've both got their ups and downs. I was just curious to see what everyone else had to say about them!

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

What a question!

Are there Wookies in Star Trek?

I rest my case.

Who cares? Whichever way you attempt to prove your case, you'll still be injecting personal subjectivity into to your decision, so there is no real winner. Like whatever floats your boat and move on.

Carousel wrote:

Who cares? Whichever way you attempt to prove your case, you'll still be injecting personal subjectivity into to your decision, so there is no real winner. . .

Well of course! This whole topic is based on subjectivity. In this particular discussion we aren't trying to "prove" anything; we're just stating opinions, reasons for our opinions, and any fun (but light-hearted) banter and jokes about which is, subjectivly, better. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT . . .

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

My opinions on both these franchises are too clouded with nostalgia for me to make a reasonable judgement, and I imagine that's the case for everyone.

I personally prefer Star Wars, but the question is which is 'better'...

i think both franchises are EXTREMELY overrated , but that being said i enjoy star trek more

star trek deals with a lot of interesting subjects and philosophies and etc, and its really interesting to see them explore them in the way that they do. star wars is more guns and prophesies and !@#$ i dont care about

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I keep telling myself I'm going to make an effort to start watching Star Trek, because I'm sure I'd love it if I actually watched it, but I have literally no free time these days. Some day though, some day. For what it's worth I really enjoyed the few episodes I have seen. No matter what Disney does to Star Wars, good or bad, I'll always love the original trilogy for what it did for the film industry from a technical standpoint, and as amazing escapist films. The point of Star Wars is not to discuss issues of humanity but to live for a few hours in an amazing universe born from the mind of a boy who couldn't be bothered to pay attention in school and didn't care about money. It's a classic hero story set in a world where the life expectancy is over 40 and there are spaceships; and in my opinion there's nothing wrong with a good hero story. Everyone should occasionally allow themselves to get lost in a world that is more fun and interesting than our own. In case you can't tell, I'm a fan of escapist literature and film, so yes, I love Star Wars. mini/yes

The two are so different.

Star Trek is what Doctor Who continually tries to be. Its a high concept but tight space-drama concerning a group of extremely memorable and likeable characters and their explorations through time and space. It also manages to raise simplified but interesting socio-political messages within its drama. I believe it was Stephen Fry who said that at some point Star Trek has covered every single notable philosophical theory known to man. With the works of Isaac Asimov, Italo Calvino and Terry Gilliam out there, I wouldn't quite call it 'intelligent sci-fi' - but I thoroughly enjoyed marathoning the first three seasons of The Next Generation last summer. One day, when I'm retired, I might finally get the time to watch the whole show.

Star Wars is A SELF CONTAINED TRILOGY that conforms to every single cliche and archetype in history. However, its in space, so it gets a free pass. Like Star Trek, it has memorable and likeable characters - but the characters are placed within a tight story with a self-contained character arc that, despite its open and interesting world, DOES NOT HAVE OR NEED ANY UNESSECARRY SEQUELS THAT WOULD DO NOTHING BUT RUIN THE PLOT. Its Hollywood escapist fun at its best.

To say which one you would prefer is like saying if you would prefer sweet or savoury.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Neither of them is better its a matter of opinion and taste. Stop comparing everything.

I think this should settle it.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Legocloniac477 wrote:

Neither of them is better its a matter of opinion and taste. Stop comparing everything.

I think this should settle it.

Alright. mini/confused Allow me to rephrase the question.

Which do you PREFER: Star Trek or Star Wars?

Does this satisfy all of the "no comparison" people?

The first episode of Star Trek I ever saw was the "Doomsday Machine." The depth and character moments they put into that one hour episode is very impressive, especially when compared with other 60's TV shows. Due to the fact that Star Trek is primarily television shows, this gives them much more time for development of characters. After watching three seasons of TOS, it is genuinely sad when Spock dies in TWOK. For that and other reasons, I prefer Star Trek.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I sometimes wish I could remember first watching Star Wars and Star Trek.  But I first watched them both when I was so young that I am unable to remember them.  I feels as if I was born into the world loving them both because of this.