Re: OSCARS 2014

I really didn't watch much of the Oscars. I had only seen a few of the nominated films, but I correctly guessed a majority of the winners.

I was just glad to see Gravity win most of the technical categories. I wanted it to win Best Picture, but I knew 12 Years A Slave would win (although I haven't seen it).

I haven't really followed the Oscars at all, and I haven't seen any of the films nominated.  But it seems to me that Hollywood is just getting more and more unoriginal.  Over half of the films nominated were based off real-life stories or books (and even more so for the successful films of last year).  Of course, biopics/true-story films can be just as good as any other film, but the fact that Hollywood has made films about Margaret Thatcher, Steve Jobs, and Wikileaks of all things within the last 2 years just goes to show that they seem to be running out of ideas.

There need to be more good original films, something that isn't a sequel, reboot, based off a true-life story, or based off some previous source material.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (March 4, 2014 (01:11am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

To be fair, I don't think the Oscars this year were too bad.  I still maintain that 2012, when the 'Artist' won most awards, was the worst.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

FlyingMinifig wrote:

There need to be more good original films, something that isn't a sequel, reboot, based off a true-life story, or based off some previous source material.

I agree, but Her seemed pretty original to me, and that was nominated for aw few awards. Furthermore, Jonze actually won an Oscar for writing something original. So, there's that.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

What I did was what I do every Oscar night: eat ice cream and have a Robot Chicken marathon.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Mickey wrote:

I agree, but Her seemed pretty original to me, and that was nominated for aw few awards. Furthermore, Jonze actually won an Oscar for writing something original. So, there's that.

Still, the number of "non-original" films heavily outnumber the original ones.  It's good that there are original films out there, but I don't think there are enough.  Also, while the concept behind Her is certainly intriguing, it seems really depressing to me.  Although I suppose this is my personal opinion more than anything else, and I haven't seen the film itself (I watched the trailer, though).

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Non-original films tend to be a bit safer since they usually already have some sort of fans toward that particular thing, thus people tend to make a lot of those such films to take slightly less of a risk of making no money and failing miserably.

Of course, I really do like original films if they are good, but I typically feel more compelled to watch a film if it's about something I really like.
Every single film I saw in theaters last year was based on other material (though, I only saw Les Miserables because I thought it looks like it could be really good, and at the time I was unfamiliar with the original work).

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

What I did was what I do every Oscar night: eat ice cream and have a Robot Chicken marathon.

I hold an anti-Oscars party annually by enjoying ice cream and watching a marathon of Robot Chicken.

I think we get the idea. mini/wink

FlyingMinifig wrote:

It's good that there are original films out there, but I don't think there are enough.

I agree. I was just putting that out there.

If you take a look at this year in film, it's really quite sad. First thing was another Paranormal Activity movie (ugh, come on), followed by a 3D Hercules adaptation, a modern re-envisioning of Frankenstein, a French adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, a "modernized adaptation" of RoboCop, and a theatrical release of deleted scenes from a miniseries (what the heck?).

And while we might get a fair share of original stuff, the rest of 2014 doesn't look too bright either, with more boring and uninspired action flicks, superhero stuff, sequels, preuqels, remakes, reboots, re-envisionings, useless holiday comedies, biopic adaptations, the whole enchilada. Just check out this list, just so you can let loose a gasp at the fact that this year in film is pretty much doomed.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I haven't really followed the Oscars at all, and I haven't seen any of the films nominated.  But it seems to me that Hollywood is just getting more and more unoriginal.  Over half of the films nominated were based off real-life stories or books (and even more so for the successful films of last year).

Isn't that a good thing?

I enjoy watching a movie not only for it's enjoyment and satisfaction, but I also like learning a little bit of something every time I go out to the theater. It's not all bad, it's just how well the producer manages to execute the film.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

I'll take adaptations, be they real-life or fictional, over endless reboots.

Every post you make, Jargon, is now laced with the notion that it's some sort of meta-narrative commentary from Kelly.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I suppose I'll have to end every post with some horrible pun now.

Unoriginal? More like funoriginal.