Topic: Spacemen (Download Links Added)

Directory Link

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3318/3445340008_d8a7192c25.jpg

Planned for the AIM contest, I've worked on this for 7/8 months, although a lot of that time was spent being lazy, especially from February to March, where I did almost no work on it at all. Originally, it was going to be more of a comedic film, but never really went through completely. I'm mostly satisfied with the way it turned out but there are a lot of things I would change if I had the motivation to re-visit them.

Maybe there'll be a Spacemen 2 for the STAR contest?

Youtube: SD HD Trailer
QuickTime: Large: 37.4 MB Small: 3.43 MB Trailer: 10.22 MB

EDIT: Links and Description added

I'll update the post again when I've compressed the files better, and gotten around to shortening the computer tracking scene

Last edited by Riley (May 5, 2009 (02:01am))

Re: Spacemen (Download Links Added)

That was cool. I really liked that.

The animation was pretty smooth. I liked especially the set-design, both in the spaceship and on the planet. The shaky camera you used in some scenes, were pretty good as well- it seems like you did them manually?!
The story itself was not the best, but I like what you made out of it. Were the arms of this alien plant done with clay?
I also liked you came out without dialouge. Only the permanent sound of the spacemen walking was at the end a bit annoying. I also find that the music didn't fit very well- it seemed kind of abrupt, because you didn't use any music the entire film, only at the end.

Overall a very enjoyable film. Good work!

- JD

http://www.abload.de/img/cooksige238.jpg
YouTube | Flickr                                 "Bad Taste on YouTube"

Well done. I liked it. Nice set-design indeed, but try to work on your lighting.

-Thijs

That was entertaining.  The image quality seemed very bad, though, even for YouTube.  (edit: It is somewhat better now that the HD version has processed.  When an HD video comes online in SD initially, the SD quality is poor until the HD version is finalized.)  Flicker was also something of a problem.

I thought the walking sequences were a little more drawn out than they needed to be, the loud walking sounds were a bit distracting IMO.  I liked most of the animation for the monster though, my favorite part of the film was when one of the spacemen walks into the "Cookies" cave and gets pulled out by another.  That computer sequence with all the different beeps seemed to be way longer than it should have been.

Still, I like the no-dialog format and the "cuteness" factor was high.  Nice work.

-Sméagol

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Good
-Excellent set design
-Smooth animation
-Great audio

Bad
-Tons of light flickers
-A few set bumps
-A pretty dry storyline.

Overall, I would give this a 7/10. I thought the the story was well told with the lack of dialogue. I probably couldn't do better, as shown in 'Mailday'. I would recomend working on you light flickers, though. They were pretty distracting. I noticed a few minor bumps in the background, but don't worry about that. I liked your masking work on the explosion of the rocks. I definently couldn't improve that. When the ships take off, you can tell that the background was drawn in. I enjoyed watching this, but from the poster, I expected something more...well...flawless. I did enjoy the film though, and that's what counts, right?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

I found the light flicker distracting but I also have some when I animate close up to my minifigs.
The walking sound seems a bit overused and loud. I would recommend using different sounds for different scenes like an echoing footstep in the cave and rocks crunching below their feet on the planet.

The animation was very smooth and nicely done. I liked the storyline but it could have had a bit more to it.
For no dialogue it was great. Overall I thought it was rather entertaining and enjoyable.

Nice work! mini/wink

I agree with everyone else.  Good animation despite flicker, and cool sets.  The beeping part with the planet was definitely too long.  I'm not sure I really liked the no-dialogue.  It felt very empty, which is appropriate for a space movie, but the whole thing lacked intensity.  It was still entertaining though, and I'd like to see a sequel to this.

I enjoyed that, Riley.  Although, as others have said, the storyline was dry.  I knew what was going on in the film, but I think a bit of dialog would have made it better.  I noticed flickers quite a bit but oddly they didn't bug me too much.  The set design was excellent, as well.

-Steve

I really enjoyed it, I noticed the light flickers but I wasn't annoyed by them. The Sequence on the screen was too long aswell.

_2014

Good:
-Above Average animation
-No diologue, which reminded me alot of 'The Magic Portal'. In-fact, the whole thing does.
-Exellent CG opening
-Fairly good CG throughout the movie. I'm glad it was only used when it had to, and made the movie feel more natural
-Exellent sets, particularly the cave
-Great use of pan shots
-Sound quality was exellent
-Nice blood effect!

Bad:
-Computer sequence was WAAAAYYYYYYY too long. It could have been cut down to 5 secs and we would have still learnt as much
-LIGHT FLICKER!!! (but look who's talking)
-Lighing was mostly over-exposed, which is probally why the picture quality wasnt top notch (but look who's talking)
-A little too many walking shots at the beggining

A well deserved 8/10

-MRB

YouTube
Max, She/They

cool mini/smile

it was okay. was the light flicker and bad masking intentionally done to capture a retro feel?
if not, then I'd give this a 4 out of 10

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

livinglego wrote:

it was okay. was the light flicker and bad masking intentionally done to capture a retro feel?

... Sure mini/tongue

I was planning on redoing it with redone shots of when they leave the space ship and when they land on the planet, becuase i thought they looked horrible, but I definitely will redo the tracking shot of the planet, because I was wathcing on the plane and it gave me a head ache with all the beeping. I didn't want to try and take on a story to complicated than I could handle, becuase it's still pretty much my first proper brickfilm and I wanted it to stay a no-dialogue film. Light flicker did slightly ruin this film, and I feel like blaming it on the camera, but I think it actually was my skin, becuase a few time while filming a moved my arm up and down while sitting behind the computer and the lighting changed (and I had it set up two metres from where I was animating. I just got a Quickcam 9000 for my birthday and when I get back I'll be seeing what I can do about light flicker. Poor image quality and lighting inconsistincies between scenes were mainly because of laziness. I should have had this film out a long time ago, but I lost a lot of motivation between January and March after overgoing the AIM deadline. I'm just glad I've got it done! mini/smile

I liked this film. Good animation and especially good editing. Light flicker was a problem, and there were some places you could work on(like the last shot outside the planet and when they are leaving the spacestation)

I'm BACK! mini/bigsmile

Riley wrote:

...becuase i thought they looked horrible

Don't be so hard on yourself it was still an enjoyable film

Riley wrote:

...becuase a few time while filming a moved my arm up and down while sitting behind the computer and the lighting changed

Get yourself a long sleeve black t-shirt for wearing while filming and that will help a lot.

holy crap, mamshmam commented your video!!!! you must be famous riley. sets are grand, the lighting flicker is distracting. the targeting the planet sequence was too long. i really liked the film grain on the darker sequences, and it looks fab in HD.

You are very courageous Riley to have finished your film, myself I gave up many projects for lack of motivation, time and also technical solutions.
Nice work.

That was highly enjoyable mini/smile Although there was many minor flaws, as other members have described, it was still worth watching. The animation itself was good, but with some noticeable jerkiness. The cinematography was great, some nice angles there mini/wink But the constant light flicker is what really bugged me.

Overall I would give this brickfilm 7/10.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/daragh2me/Avatarsposters/allworkandnoplay2.png

An enjoyable flick.
The animation was good and so was the cinematography. The story was simple, but amusing. Too bad for the light flickers.
I also enjoyed the squid arms coming out of the rocks.
Also, the computer sequence was way too long!

Thumb up!

Many have said there was a lot of light flicker and the computer sequences were very long, but it made me think it was retro, and the spacemen were abandoned in space with a bad and old ship, without a home. I think you should have emphasized more on a deeper storyline. I really enjoyed the cinematography and wonderful animation, but you may want to keep away from those long walking scenes, which, in my opinion, were fairly boring. I enjoyed the CGI and set designs. They were very cool. Good job.