Topic: BFCU Monthly Challenge

Welcome to the BFCU Monthly Challenge thread! I thought I'd experiment and see if people were actually interested in going ahead with this, and I think it would be a fun way to kick off the BFCU.

The challenge is to create a short animation - no less than 30 seconds, and it's recommended not over 2 minutes (though you can make it as long as you like) - based on a set theme. Each entry will be classed as part of the BFCU (if you don't know what that is, click here), and therefore you can use any characters in this thread, invent new characters, and you can even collaborate with other members and submit entries between you - or, if in a pair, you do entries that tie into each others', as in one person does Part 1 while the other does Part 2, if ya' get my drift.

On this page, all the winners and their themes will be listed, and all entries will be added to a BFCU YouTube playlist that will be created once the first month is over.

If you've expressed interest in being part of the BFCU, you're under no obligation to enter this contest. Likewise, if you haven't already expressed such interest, you're more than welcome to enter! It goes without saying that you don't have to enter every month too.

How does it work?
It's extremely similar to the Animation Challenge, in that once a theme is chosen, you have a set amount of time to make an entry. Unlike the Animation Challenge, you have a month to create this short - each theme is selected on the first day of a month, and the challenge ends on the last day of that month. Entries can be submitted any time during the month.

Because of the timeframe, the winner (who'll be selected within 5 days of the deadline) will choose the theme for the month afterwards, e.g. the January winner will choose March's theme, while the February winner will choose April's, and so on. The winner will also judge their theme's month's entries.

Prizes
The satisfaction that you've won the challenge! And you get to choose the theme after next.

YouTube Titles
The title of your entry can be whatever you want it to be, but please format it like this. If my entry was called Revenge of the Snacklebiters, then I would title my entry:

Revenge of the Snacklebiters (BFCU, January 2013)

So that's the name of your film, followed by (in brackets) BFCU, the month of the entry, and the year. This refers to YouTube titles by the way, when you upload your video - you don't have to put that extra info in the video itself, though at the end of your video you must put the words:

For the BFCU Monthly Challenge

…in whatever font, size and format you like. You could even have it plastered on the wall of a set in the final shot! Just as long as it's there.

Dos and Don'ts
There are a few rules on the BFCU, which I'll go over really quickly.

• Yellow rather than flesh tone. It's just for consistency between brickfilms; something we decided on in the original BFCU thread.

• No blood, though a reasonable level of violence is fine.

• No offensive language. Again, keeping things PG-13.

• No licensed themes, or movie, book or comic characters. That said, you can use mythology, folklore, and any material in the public domain to your heart's content.

• No copyrighted music - go royalty-free! Incompetech is a good place to start.

Nothing else to say except good luck! The first challenge will be in the next post.

Last edited by jampot (January 1, 2014 (04:19am))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: BFCU Monthly Challenge

Okay people, the January theme is hidden strengths. You can interpret that however you like. Because of the way I've set up the contest, I have February's stowed away too.

The winner of this month's challenge will choose March's theme. The deadline is 12am GMT, January 31st 2014, and I will select a winner between then and February 5th.

Last edited by jampot (December 31, 2013 (12:10pm))

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I like this idea somewhat, but I feel I'm only really interested if the challenges tell a story. Just a guy picking up a shiny coin seems too similar to something like the animation challenge. Not that I'm saying all the entries would be that - just that I'm worried they'd be like plain old animation tests.

Maybe there's a way we could utilize the challenge in developing characters and themes for the BCFU? Not really change any rules, just encourage more storytelling. Maybe the themes could revolve around a character/environment themed setting?

For example one month you could do "Character's weakness" or "Character's desires" or something. Maybe more environment based ones like "Introducing a town/kingdom/city" or "History of a place" could be something as well.

It could be practice in our storytelling and fleshing out the universe.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Yeah, the winners should be decided on how good the story is.

I really like Walter's ideas for topics, they will definitely help us develop the universe much more.

Walter Benson wrote:

I like this idea somewhat, but I feel I'm only really interested if the challenges tell a story.

That's the idea. We're not talking about simple walking motion tests - it needs a story, and it needs to be told concisely.

Walter Benson wrote:

Maybe there's a way we could utilize the challenge in developing characters and themes for the BCFU? Not really change any rules, just encourage more storytelling. Maybe the themes could revolve around a character/environment themed setting?

So change it from Something Shiny? No problem.

I don't really care about the winners that much - I'm just more interested in doing something will benefit the universe in terms of development and storytelling.

Heck, if a really short brickfilm is good enough it could basically BE one of the BCFU films.

EDIT: Whoops I missed this while typing:

jampot wrote:
Walter Benson wrote:

I like this idea somewhat, but I feel I'm only really interested if the challenges tell a story.

That's the idea. We're not talking about simple walking motion tests - it needs a story, and it needs to be told concisely.

Walter Benson wrote:

So change it from Something Shiny? No problem.

Okay! I kind of thought you meant that, but I wasn't sure. I honestly forgot that 30 seconds - 2 minutes can be enough time to tell a really good story in brickfilming.

You can leave it to whatever you guys want as far as theme. I'm just suggesting if there's a way to encourage more storytelling it'd be good to take that route.

"Something Shiny" could still be taken to a good place for storytelling. Like, a guy in some village could have a magic shiny spoon that let's him time travel - and eventually it could vanish to time. And there you have a simple urban legend that could be used in future films or something.

Last edited by Walter Benson (December 31, 2013 (12:14pm))

Walter Benson wrote:

Heck, if a really short brickfilm is good enough it could basically BE one of the BCFU films.

That's the idea - every film entered is classed as part of the universe, and every little story can add up to the whole. Like I said in the first post, two people could do a two-part entry between them, thus developing a bigger story.

Last edited by jampot (December 31, 2013 (12:19pm))

Okay I'm liking this idea even more now. mini/smile

Remember to share this around, so as many people enter as possible!

BTW Walt, does hidden strengths seem like a better theme?

I'm sure that can be interpreted in many ways too! What do other people think?

Sounds interesting. I'm busy with my own projects, but I may enter.

I working on my entry for this now.

I don't agree with this

Dos and Don'ts
There are a few rules on the BFCU, which I'll go over really quickly.
[*]Yellow rather than flesh tone.[/*]

^ Racist, I say you change this and alllow all colours and all races of lego to be allowed! Who's with me!

Latest video: Zombie Blockade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XdMQWLu5I

The Son Of Shadowmarch: PreProduction Official Thread: http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … brickfilm/
Script: 80% / Storyboards: 10% / Voice Acting: 0%

I have some idea for my entry, too.

I'm also Bappy on Discord for those wondering.

Yellow rather than flesh tone.

I don't understand this, why not?

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

So if I were to create a 'hidden strengths' themed film, roughly based upon a 1901 literature, where in which a flesh minifigure stubbed his toe, drawing blood, and subsequently blurted out a mild expletive, I would be disqualified?

I actually rather liked the old theme of "something shiny"; in fact, I actually had a good idea for a possible entry.  I'm not sure, something like "hidden strength" just sound a bit generic and clichéd to me, though I suppose this is my personal opinion.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Legocloniac477 wrote:

Yellow rather than flesh tone.

I don't understand this, why not?

It's just something we decided on in the original thread, for continuity between films. It's not simply my personal preference.

Carousel wrote:

So if I were to create a 'hidden strengths' themed film, roughly based upon a 1901 literature, where in which a flesh minifigure stubbed his toe, drawing blood, and subsequently blurted out a mild expletive, I would be disqualified?

I don't know, would you? We're just trying to keep it family-friendly, to prevent any copyright infringement, and keep things original. As for blood, there can be a degree of violence (no problem with that whatsoever - let's say PG-13 level, if ya' catch my drift) but a lot of brickfilms on YouTube, not necessarily by members here, have ridiculous and unnecessary amounts of blood and gore in them. That's not the kind of atmosphere we're going for.

To be honest, no you won't be disqualified. I have no problem with swearing or blood as long as there's a genuine reason for them; blood or expletives for their own sake can hurt your chances, though. I think that's fair, but tell me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be Mary Whitehouse here. Most of the movies I watch nowadays are 15s or 18s, and I'm writing an A2 level essay and presentation on horror conventions. It's just about the kind of audience we want and the kind of brickfilmers we want to be.

I like this idea! I may enter, but only if I think of an interesting story using the theme.