Topic: THAC 11 - Fitz and Flubblewalf

Directory Link

THAC 11 - Fitz and Flubblewalf

YouTube

This is it. My THAC 11 entry. I finally got it re-rendered and uploaded for all to enjoy!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Re: THAC 11 - Fitz and Flubblewalf

Wow, that was impressive. I loved how you reused the same set for the different towns, but just changed the main colors.

The animation was a bit bumpy in a couple spots, and I didn't really like the ending comment, but everything else was great. mini/wink

Believe me, the animation would've been better if I could've helped it. I only had 15 minutes left in the contest when I submitted this, and I barely wasted any time while making it.

I would've changed/cut out the ending too if I had more time. (I really wanted to release it in it's entry version though so I left it)

I remembering seeing this in the playlist and being amazed. It's one of the best entries I've seen.

And making something this long and complicated is a great feat. Congratulations.
Making up all those complicated names really lend it a bit of authenticity and silliness at the same time.

Digging that set, it's fantastic, and changing the colors makes each location feel both different and familiar.
Overall, I love the ending, it's perfect. Not only the story-ending, but the narration as well. (Which was top-notch)
On a similar note, this doesn't even feel like a rush THAC entry, and certainly deserves a high ranking.
Making it to the top ten should be no problem.
Evidently, you know how to cultivate a great atmosphere, and, I would dare say, that this is my favorite of your films.
Disorganized and disjointed are the words I would use to describe this comment. Don't ask why I wrote it like this.

The running time is impressive. It's a clever little story, too. Great work, Walter!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Aw, man, I wished I could have voiced in this.  Even voiced everyone.

The weird thing about it is that the same voice throughout feels a tad odd and there is often some blank time between when people are talking and it feels like it needs some editing for tiny little adjustments everywhere to speed up those bits and get it faster.

But I really liked the concept of it and all of the weird delightful names you had. mini/smile
Also, the sets were really good besides the random colour added to the road which all felt very misplaced.  I like haw the way you implemented the theme doesn't have to do with a twist or anything.  Most of the films this year rely upon some sort of twist, but when you know what the theme is them you can kinda see that twist coming.

And if you want to re-edit it to be better paced, I will record the voices for as many of the characters as you want.

Thanks guys!

Squid wrote:

Aw, man, I wished I could have voiced in this.  Even voiced everyone.

The weird thing about it is that the same voice throughout feels a tad odd and there is often some blank time between when people are talking and it feels like it needs some editing for tiny little adjustments everywhere to speed up those bits and get it faster.

But I really liked the concept of it and all of the weird delightful names you had. mini/smile
Also, the sets were really good besides the random colour added to the road which all felt very misplaced.  I like haw the way you implemented the theme doesn't have to do with a twist or anything.  Most of the films this year rely upon some sort of twist, but when you know what the theme is them you can kinda see that twist coming.

And if you want to re-edit it to be better paced, I will record the voices for as many of the characters as you want.

I would've loved to have your voice in this! I even had offers from other great voice actors! The sad thing is that because of the time I wasn't able to get other voices and my internet would die whenever I started animating.

Maybe I can make some kind of sequel to this though. It would be interesting to see Fitz out on another adventure.

I think I was most inspired by you with the whole concept of unusual names and I ended up going with the first things that came to mind. I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

Because I only had so much time for editing things got really odd with the pacing! In the beginning Fitz stares at the screen in silence for a whole second before saying "hi!" It comes off as hilariously messed up. I would've timed the pacing better if I had the time. I could've re-edited everything to be better, but I kind of wanted everyone to watch the entry version, only re-rendered. but watching the mistakes in pacing makes me laugh every time, so the mistakes I made are not only good to learn from, they're so bad that they're funny!

However that being said, I still think new voices and better pacing would be great. The weird thing is now that I released it I feel like I'm done with it for good. I don't really feel the need to George Lucas it, if you know what I mean! mini/wink

Nice film, it reminds me a lot of Squid's style.  The way you changed the colours of the buildings was especially great.    The length is also highly impressive, given the time constraints.  I found that the voicing, however, sounded a bit flat, and the voices all sounded quite similar to each other.  (I'd second Squid and say that I'd love to help out voicing if you ever need a voice actor.)  However, it still was a good job!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Nice film, it reminds me a lot of Squid's style.  The way you changed the colours of the buildings was especially great.    The length is also highly impressive, given the time constraints.  I found that the voicing, however, sounded a bit flat, and the voices all sounded quite similar to each other.  (I'd second Squid and say that I'd love to help out voicing if you ever need a voice actor.)  However, it still was a good job!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I was definitely inspired by Squid more than any other brickfilmer - but at the same time I don't know where this idea really came from. Those 24 hours are such a blur.

And yes, I'll admit the acting came off as pretty flat! I'm so embarrassed by it. mini/XD

Have I reviewed this yet? Hm, apparently not.

I really enjoyed this. From the style of it, I could tell Squid/Harrison Allen was a great inspiration (especially with names like Flubblewalf). Smooth animation, good story. Nice job!

I think this might be my favorite entry. I really love the story and the idea of using the different colors for different towns and how this was integrated with the theme of the contest. I like the characters a lot too, it's a real shame you were prevented from getting voice actors other than yourself, I think it would have really put a lot more life into the lovely little universe you created for this. My only real problem with it is the background noise that comes in and out with the lines, it's a bit distracting. I wish you had been able to make this film under a regular time schedule as apposed to THAC conditions, because I would love to see it polished, and I feel like every flaw present is due to time constraints; it just feels a bit rough and THACy. Oh well, it's still a great film, and it has great story, characters and humor going for it. Nice job. mini/smile

backyardlegos wrote:

My only real problem with it is the background noise that comes in and out with the lines, it's a bit distracting.

Interesting! Did anyone else notice this too? I'd love to hear some feedback on that as I never really noticed the background noise when making the film. mini/eek