Re: Knights' Kingdom film in preproduction/update thread

Glad I could help mini/smile

Last edited by END films (January 8, 2014 (02:47pm))

JonnDthunDer wrote:

Gosh darn it, why did you have to remind me about Bionicle, not I've remembered how much I loved that theme and I'm going to waste time looking at their backstories instead of working on this mini/tongue

Well, this whole discussion put me into Castle-Mode, even though I want to work on a script completely unrelated to Castle stuff that I started not too long ago right now, so I guess I'm just returning the favour... mini/tongue

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I received by Bricklink order and all is well, I've got all my character parts now.

Also, I've been working on a bit of concept art for the different kingdoms/provinces and writing their backstories.  When I'm done with that I'll go back and try to finish the screenplay, then do dialog.  I'm a little worried about dialog because I didn't want to have to write it all myself, I was hoping to be able to base it off of the dialog in the books and comics (in the magazines) but it's looking like that won't happen.  The only reason why I didn't want to do it myself was that I didn't want to do anything to take away from the characters...err...character.

Wilco66, that link ( http://www.mikerayhawk.com/2004_cards.htm ) you gave me a while back was so helpful.  That has a ton of awesome concept art and back history on stuff thrown in here and there, it's been really useful.  Thanks!

Last edited by JonnDthunDer (January 15, 2014 (01:35pm))

Magazines? I still have the 2004 LEGO Club magazines tucked away somewhere, and I'm pretty sure the Knights' Kingdom comics are in those. Are they what you're looking for? If so, I can go and dig them out and tell you the dialogue.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I have two books also.  They are learning to read books though, so I don't know if that's the kind of dialogue you want.

If it's not too much trouble for either of you and you can get to them easily enough, it'd be really awesome if you could find them and write whatever the dialog is, from the comics and the learn to read books. 

Obviously the dialog will be dumbed-down a bit on both but that's fine.  I'll take as much of the actual dialog as I can and try to work it into the script.  If they're for the second wave (which both probably are) that's fine too. 
It will mostly help with seeing what LEGO had set out for the characters in their dialog and actions, that way I can hopefully keep that much closer to the original intent of the characters.  Thanks!

I'll get on it.  I also found a Valdek sword that makes sword sound effects.  I don't know if you would want me to record the sounds for you since they are kind of official Lego sounds.

I may ask you about the sword later, but it's not likely.  That'll be a long time from now if I did need them and chances are that I won't. 
Thanks though!

What you are doing is awesome. Keep up the good work.

This is a pretty ambitious project, but it would be awesome if you could pull it off.  Besides BIONICLE, Knights Kingdom was probably my favorite original lego theme growing up. 

My family had several of the sets, and at one point we had about 50 of the cards... 46 of which are scattered around the house in random places because my younger brother somehow inherited them.  If I find more of them, I can scan them and send them your way if you still need them (I have these cards in front of me now... #68, #86, #89, and #100).

Lets see, I'm guessing you remember the four flash games on the lego website.  you were able to play each of the four knights as they worked their way into the Citadel of Orlan. Jayko had to dodge a series of moving weapons, Rascus had to scale vines on a wall while avoiding scorpions and falling boulders, Santis had to use his sword to kill scorpions and break bouncing boulders before breaking a large boulder blocking a gate, and Danju had to win a matching game while being careful to not touch the scorpions.

Also, the site peeron.com has some of the instruction booklets if you need the comics in the back. 

If you wanted to be REALLY thorough researching all the KK lore, you could create a checklist on Google drive, and if you are missing any of the comics or cards, the users on this site can post here if they have them.   That way you won't keep getting the same info from different users.

So here's what is the final versions of the Knights in their armor, along with King Mathias and Vladek.  After that is what's pretty close to the final versions of the same characters in their more "civilian" clothes.  Their torsos and legs are not by any means final in the second picture though. 
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/11985581524_2966d3b1a9_z.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3793/11985195485_b0ed792b1f_z.jpg

next up are the Morcian Knights along with the pieces I have to build others (I just didn't build them all because I'm lazy).  These are the basic knights of Morcia, the ones defending the castle of Morcia and the ones that would go in to attack Vladek in Ankoria, if I ever possibly got to making a part two. 
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/11985194685_b9a0e3160b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/11985580814_37ab425e60.jpg

Here's the ordinary knights/civilains in the provinces, I'm sure you can tell which one goes to which main knights' hometown.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/11985493753_764a8bc289.jpg

All my swords and shields just because they're cool.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/11985493063_7b027893a8.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5476/11985613424_65dd84ff87.jpg

Does anyone know why this one sword is like this?  The one on the left is the ordinary sword, just how all my others are and how they all seem to look in the set pictures.  The one on the right is one I've had for a good while so I don't know what it came with. For whatever reason it looks really light coloured, almost like it wasn't finished being molded or painted or whatever they did.  I just thought that was interesting. 
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/11986016436_81496e733c.jpg

@SuburbAnimationStudios Yes it is ambitious, but Knights' Kingdom deserves as much.  I shall try my best.
Thanks for offering with the cards, but I already have those images saved.  I used the images from bricklink except for the ones I posted a few pages back.  Most probably aren't that important because I can get the idea of most of them, just not exactly what they say.  I just don't want to miss anything. 
I do indeed remember the games, those were so much fun back in the day!
Thanks for the suggestion with the checklist, I hadn't thought of that and it may be very useful!

@Galactic Films Thanks for your support!

The one on the right is most likely from one of the Viking sets, I have a few myself from those sets.

Anyway, this project looks amazing! Keep up the good work! mini/smile

Oh...I hadn't even considered that, I'll bet that's it though.  I don't actually have any Viking sets but I've gotten enough random lots of mixed pieces that that's probably what happened. 
Thanks, the mismatching sword was really bugging me.

Found this card on Peeron in case you are still missing the words:

Sir Rascus 93
"Sir Rascus enjoys fooling around and making fun of Sir Santis.  But he must learn to get along with his serious friend.  Only together can they lower the Dark Fortress' drawbridge and save the day!"

http://media.peeron.com/pics/inv/custpics/x1207px93.1153007143.jpg

How's this coming?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

How's this coming?

Pretty good, actually.  It's going a lot slower than I'd have liked but it is coming along well; I think the time I'm putting into preproduction will help a lot when I actually start animating.

I have a lot less time to work on it than I had hoped I would so that, of course, is really slowing things down.  I'm still not finished with the script but what I do have, I'm really happy with so far.  The stuff from the magazines you sent me have been extremely useful, especially with dialog.  I'm really seeing it coming together now.  I've done a tiny bit of set building, mostly tests, and I've got a notebook with some "concept art", if you will.  Also, I've written a main theme for the movie and I think it's totally epic.  I will most likely be writing all the music myself, how I'll go about having it recorded or buying a program/keyboard (because that's something I'd like to get into anyway) is yet to be decided. 

I've been totally going through my entire room and cleaning/sorting/resorting/recleaning/getting rid of/organizing EVERYTHING so while it's not directly connected to the film, it's making things much more convenient for me.  I'm finding so many old LEGO things in places I forgot about, it's like Christmas!

I will be using my DSLR for this film when the time comes, so it'll be nice and have a great quality.  Expect a few animation tests in the near future (read: next one or two months) so I can get back into the swing of animating.

I'm going to try and post more frequent updates to this thread, and when the script is finished I'll be sending that out to some people to have a read through and get feedback. 

Thanks for everyone's support and ideas!

Last edited by JonnDthunDer (February 18, 2014 (12:06pm))

Some time ago I was planning on to do a knigts' kingdom saga, but I instead wanted to completely evolve the plot, and NOT to use exactly their armors. It began with jayko being a farmer who one day meets Santis, a fierced warrior and that became some sorta mentor to him, after they escaped from Jayko's home village attacked by scorpion knights. they eventually met Rascus in a forest populated by elves, as some sorta hybrid betveen an elf and a human (simply, because elfs from LOTR are flesh coloured and lego made one hairpiece with yellow coloured ears rascus was supposed to have it.) Then they met Danju at mathias' court, and the story kept going with dwarves involved too. Also, I was doing a third part where  Vladek, possesed by the Sorcerer (the true bad guy) comes back to morcia twenty years later, with the knights already old, and those new characters from the last series.

LegoStudiosP, that sounds interesting! 
When I first decided to do this I wasn't sure if I wanted to do like what you said, basically just keep the bare minimums and make it a re-imagined Knights' Kingdom but I decided against it.  Instead, now I'm trying to follow the official story as closely as possible, with nothing extra added besides maybe just a little characterization.
That certainly could have been interesting though!

JonnDthunDer wrote:

LegoStudiosP, that sounds interesting! 
When I first decided to do this I wasn't sure if I wanted to do like what you said, basically just keep the bare minimums and make it a re-imagined Knights' Kingdom but I decided against it.  Instead, now I'm trying to follow the official story as closely as possible, with nothing extra added besides maybe just a little characterization.
That certainly could have been interesting though!

keep going with this dude! I want to see it once it comes out

Hows the project coming along I have read through all the posts and am finding this thread most interesting! Sorry I can't be of much assistance in regards to the cards or information on the knights background/story, as I do not have much knowledge of this, I however remember when these first came out, and how much these knights meant to me, I use to pretend they were runescape characters when I was younger, haha good times. mini/lol

Anyhow, do you know when you will post up an audition for the voices?

Would love to be one of these knights!:D

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21