Re: Knights' Kingdom film in preproduction/update thread

This is all coming along great, but I have a few questions…

Are we going to see the Great Sorcerer at all? I know we talked about him a bit the other day. I'm not sure how much magic you're putting into the film, but there was never much in the comics save for Vladek's evil. Still, it could be a fun addition depending how you write it.

Whenabouts are you planning on making this?

Also, let me know when you're starting to think about voice actors. I'd be more than willing to do some.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Hehe, I remember this theme, I collected quite a few of those sets back in the day.  Makes me feel all nostalgic inside...

Anyway, this sounds like a great project.  As far as the villagers go, I second what's been said here already.  The Classic Black Falcons torsos would be best for Tolonjay's soldiers, I think (you have a lot of Classic Castle bodies there...).  Personally I don't like the skater hair on Santis, though; it just looks goofy and off to me.  I would go for the topknot, it's grown on me a lot and gives him a sort of Samurai feel which I really like.  Also, I'd recommend going for grey or dark tan hair for Danju, as the colour of the Hawkeye hair also looks weird next to the colour of his beard--though that could just be me.

Also, if you need someone to critique your script I'd love to help out.  And maybe also try out for voice acting (for Rascus or Danju, who were my favourite knights)--that is, if I get a mic that actually works properly...

Also, just out of curiosity, are you basing this mainly on the central storyline of Knight's Kingdom (finding the golden disc, defeating Vladek, restoring King Mathias) or is this going to be more your own storyline?

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (January 6, 2014 (09:44am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

As far as the villagers go, I second what's been said here already.  The Classic Black Falcons torsos would be best for Tolonjay's soldiers, I think (you have a lot of Classic Castle bodies there...).  Personally I don't like the skater hair on Santis, though; it just looks goofy and off to me.  I would go for the topknot, it's grown on me a lot and gives him a sort of Samurai feel which I really like.  Also, I'd recommend going for grey or dark tan hair for Danju, as the colour of the Hawkeye hair also looks weird next to the colour of his beard--though that could just be me.

I intend to use the Black Falcon torsos for the Tolonjay soldiers, I'm really liking how they look (even though they're not that medium blue color).  I just think Santis looks awesome with a topknot, I'm probably going to use that for the majority of it.  I'm still not entirely happy with Danju...for one thing, white looks totally off, as does light grey.  That's the problem, is that his beard is dark grey and putting a light grey hairpiece looks totally wrong in my opinion.  I'm still working on that, and my hairpieces in tan/dark tan are fairly limited.

jampot wrote:

Are we going to see the Great Sorcerer at all? I know we talked about him a bit the other day. I'm not sure how much magic you're putting into the film, but there was never much in the comics save for Vladek's evil. Still, it could be a fun addition depending how you write it.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Also, just out of curiosity, are you basing this mainly on the central storyline of Knight's Kingdom (finding the golden disc, defeating Vladek, restoring King Mathias) or is this going to be more your own storyline?

First, I'm basing this off the main storyline, I want that to be at the heart of the story.  Vladek takes over the kingdom, the four knights rescue King Mathias, knights go to citadel to recover the heart of the shield, tournament, Vladek loses.  Besides that I'm adding to the story by using
a) the online comics, they're the same basic story but expanded a lot.
b) The old Ask Danju answers from the LEGO website, there's actually quite a bit of information that may help regarding history and backstories and just the way things happened.
c) The collectable card game cards.  I just started looking at them on bricklink and these offer a lot of information on the backstory of the knights and vilages, as well as other things.  Not much to the storyline itself but it adds further complexity to the lands.
I don't intend to add much to the story, really there's a lot here already to make a good length film.  It's mostly just deciding whether to have much on the backstory of the knights or the kingdom of Morcia, whether it should have a prologue of some sort, all that.  But I don't plan on adding anything I just made up to the story.  Planningnot to.
As for the Great Sorcerer...I really don't know.  I think I'll see if I feel there needs to be something bigger behind it when I'm finished, and just see how much I have already.  If anything, at least a reference or something brief in the history or prologue but I don't expect him/her/it to play a major role in any way. 

jampot wrote:

Whenabouts are you planning on making this?
Also, let me know when you're starting to think about voice actors. I'd be more than willing to do some.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Also, if you need someone to critique your script I'd love to help out.  And maybe also try out for voice acting (for Rascus or Danju, who were my favourite knights)--that is, if I get a mic that actually works properly...

Now that school has started back up it's going to be progressing a lot slower, especially when I'm ready to actually film it.  I think this project will take a long time (for me, at least).  I'd appreciate it if both of you could critique my script when I'm mostly completed with it, and possibly other story concepts that I don't really want to post publicly because they're not entirely public knowledge. 

I'll put up a casting call as soon as I'm done with the dialog, that's the main issue with the script for now.  Thanks for the offers!

Thanks for the help everyone, you're all so helpful!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-Castle-K … 4d17122c89

I know you have lots of KK pieces, but is this ebay lot of any use to you?

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

That lot has everything I'd need except a shield for Santis, it would have been good but I don't really want to buy from the UK. 
I actually just made a $20 bricklink order for everything I'll need plus a few extras, but thanks anyway!

I finished going through all the playing cards (well, as many as had images large enough to read) and those were so helpful.  It had a good amount of info on the knights backstories and the First Knight Orlan and the The Guardian (in the citadel) and other cool stuff.  Two I found of particular interest...the one about the Great Sorcerer and one about Rogue Knights. 

http://www.bricklink.com/GL/kkc61.jpg?1

http://www.bricklink.com/GL/kkc63.jpg?0

The problem with the Rogue Knights one is evident, it's too small.  I don't suppose anyone has the card handy to be able to read what it says?  I can make out something like "Knights' Kingdom on their quest meet Rogue Knights but are they good or bad?"
Rogue Knights are the knights that were in the third wave of KK (at least that's what the sets called them) and that's interesting, if they were supposedly around before all that. 

If anyone has ANY of the Knights' Kingdom cards handy (don't bother searching around for cards that I probably already have a picture of) and could let me know that'd be awesome (then if I need that one you could tell me what it says) because I could get probably 80% of the cards but the rest are unusable and I don't know what I could be missing. 

A rather small update but I found it interesting.
P.S. The Sorcerer looks like a creep.

What I can make out:

"As the story of Knights Kingdom continues, our heroes will meet... Only time will tell if the Rogue..."on

The second paragraph might be the same thing in a different language.

Also, have you seen this website by the artist behind the cards?
http://www.mikerayhawk.com/2004_cards.htm

The second paragraph is in French, that's how it was on all of the cards.

The only card that I can find of the ones I have is #31, with Rascus bowing after performing at the Tavern. It reads: "When he's not training, you will always find Rascus entertaining a crown at the local tavern with his tall tales and old jokes!"

It's really cool how much detail they put into this line, and I love how you're using all of the cards and other lore to build your story. mini/bigsmile

@Wilco
Yeah, I don't know.  That specific card's probably not worth messing with. 

I had not seen that site before, seems to have some awesome stuff!  At the bottom it links to other things from KK, like concept artwork and the comics in the LEGO magazines (that I'd fogotten about).  I don't currently have time to go through it all but it looks really useful, thank you!

@Mighty Wanderer
Thanks for that, that card was fine on bricklink though, but thanks for going to the trouble anyway, I really appreciate it!
And no kidding, the more I look the bigger the stories seem to get.  Especially with all the cards, they add so much to the back story that now has potential to be in the film, it's awesome!
There's actually so much I'm debating trying to redo one of the wiki pages just so I can keep all the information straight more easily.  Seriously, where's the Big Book of Knights' Kingdom?  They totally could have written one.

Last edited by JonnDthunDer (January 7, 2014 (07:33pm))

I found a large collection of them in a drawer, but the Rogue Knights card wasn't one of them.  If you need any more, I'd be happy to look at them for you.

All the ones that the cards are unreadable are:
Knights Kingdom II Card, Gargoyles - 62
Knights Kingdom II Card, Jayko - 6
Knights Kingdom II Card, Guardian - 55
Knights Kingdom II Card, King - 48
Knights Kingdom II Card, King - 50
Knights Kingdom II Card, King's Siege Tower - 106
Knights Kingdom II Card, Santis - 19
Knights Kingdom II Card, Santis - 23
Knights Kingdom II Card, Santis - 26
Knights Kingdom II Card, Shadow Knights - 57
Knights Kingdom II Card, Shadow Knights - 56
Knights Kingdom II Card, Sir Rascus - 93
Knights Kingdom II Card, Sir Santis - 90
Knights Kingdom II Card, Tournament Arena - 71
Knights Kingdom II Card, Tournament Arena - 72

If anyone has and could write what they say here that would be awesome, thanks!

JonnDthunDer, it looks like the Rogue Knights are bad - Vladek hires them in the 2006 wave of sets.

Also, do you remember of what importance the "Shield of Ages" is? I know it's powerful, and what the knights are trying to protect, but I forgot what was so powerful about it.

Wikipedia has a pretty lengthy section that might be helpful, here's the link if you're interested.

Jayko-6

Jayco is the fasted swordsman in the Kingdom.
Nobody can match the speed of his movements or
the speed of his reactions.

Santis-19

Santis frightens many with his great size and
strength, but he also has a big heart and makes
a loyal friend.

I am missing more than I thought, but did find those two.
Hope the others can get you more.

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (January 8, 2014 (09:22am))

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

JonnDthunDer, it looks like the Rogue Knights are bad - Vladek hires them in the 2006 wave of sets.

I find it interesting that they were referencing the Rogue Knights in the earlier themes.  I wonder if they had plans to use the Great Sorcerer at some point in the future but then the 3rd wave flopped?  I so wish I knew what happened behind the scenes for this theme...

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

Also, do you remember of what importance the "Shield of Ages" is? I know it's powerful, and what the knights are trying to protect, but I forgot what was so powerful about it.

The Shield of Ages was a very powerful and magical shield (and the Heart of the Shield was part of it) created by the First Knight Orlan (who I assume is the founder of Morcia and all much of that area) but it was shattered long ago in a battle against a great evil and the pieces were scattered throughout the Lost Kingdom of Ankoria.  The First Knight Orlan gave the Heart of the Shield to his most trusted knight to safeguard and The Guardian is that knight, he protected it inside the Citadel for who-knows-how-long because (it? The Book of Morcia?  Some magic spell?) granted him magical powers so he was unbeatable inside the Citadel.  Then in the 2nd wave Vladek creates the Vlad-mask from the parts of the Shield of Ages. 
Then the Mistlands tower fits somewhere in there in the third wave but I don't know much about it and I don't really care about it.

I wonder if I should write a screenplay for all three waves of the theme before I film the first one (that would totally take years to finish it all though)?

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

Wikipedia has a pretty lengthy section that might be helpful, here's the link if you're interested.

It's surprising how much there is out there about this, it gets a tad confusing though because everything seems to have a *slightly* different story outline.  But I can pick and choose so I suppose that's a plus.  Thanks for the link!

@Pritchard
Thanks for doing that, every little bit helps!

Santis 26-Santis carries a big strong shield that can survive even the mightiest blow.  It is decorated with a picture of a bear.  This is the heraldic symbol of his homeland, the providence of Orkosan.

Shadow Knights 56-The shadow knights do not have minds of their own.  Since their transformation, they do not obey the code of honor and only do what Vladek tells them to.

Shadow Knights 57-Once the shadow knights were on the side of the good, but Vladek transformed them and now they follow his orders.  Unless Vladek can be defeated, the shadow knights will obey his dark bidding forever!

Tournament Arena 71-During the joust, the knights score points for the things they strike with their lance.  They score 1 point for hitting the shield, 2 points for hitting the chest, and 3 points for hitting the helmet.

Tournament Arena 72-After their long quest, Jako faces Vladek in a final battle that will decide the fate of the kingdom forever!

Hope this helps.

I'll look through my cards this afternoon mini/smile

Let me know if you want any VFX work done. I can't do CGI (yet) but I can probably do the arena lightning swords, the heart of the shield, some lighting effects and a bit of compositing (if you're doing any green/blue screening).

I don't have any trading cards (never got the action-figure sets), but I do have a few comics from the back of the instruction booklets for some of the sets (though I think they were all the same).

That sorcerer is creepy yet cool. mini/XD

From the sound of it, the Rogue Knights are probably mercenaries--I wouldn't say they're inherently evil, though they probably often get categorized as such since they work for Vladek (sort of like the Dark Hunters from BIONICLE....).  At least, that's my guess.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I got a lot of action figures (Wasn't into LEGO that much at the time these were around)
Rouge Knights-63
As the story of Knights' Kingdom continues, our heros will meet a new type of knight. Only time will tell if these Rouge Knights are friends or enemies.

From their sets they appear to be bad ( http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/? … ;year=2006 )

@DonkeyKong Thanks, those are useful, especially Tournament Arena 71!

@END films That'd be awesome, thanks!
EDIT: Thanks, everything helps!  Response to FlyingMinifig about the Rogue Knights specifically.

@jampot Thank you for the offer, I'll have to see about that.  I've got AE and would like to do as much of it myself as I can, but if I need help in any particular areas it'll be great to have you available!  Of course, by the time I'm doing fx it'll be a great while in the future though.

@FlyingMinifig I've downloaded all the instruction from Brickset and the comics in the back of the actual sets are all the same, there's slight differences in the back of the action figures though.

I've found that Vladek "hired" the Rogue Knights in the third wave (with the Mistlands Tower and all that) so yes, between that and other references I believe the Rogue Knights are just mercenaries. 
Gosh darn it, why did you have to remind me about Bionicle, not I've remembered how much I loved that theme and I'm going to waste time looking at their backstories instead of working on this mini/tongue