Topic: Audio before animation problem.

Alright need help and I promise its the last of this topic.

I know how to animate over the audio I guess. Monkey jam helps.

But I am sitting here with sounds and music and a timeline in WMM.

Thinking. How the heck do I put these on here and know the animation can match to this? Like. How do I know I can have the minifig do this soon enough to fit the audio correctly.

So. Help me friends. : D

Re: Audio before animation problem.

I don't really understand. Are you having trouble syncing the audio with the animation? If so, my suggestion: trial and error. If to doesn't look right, change it a tiny bit. Or is it that you have audio, but no animation yet? In that case you really should animate then sync the audio.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

You can also bring the audio into something like Audacity and check the time numbers. Then, divide each second into fifteen parts, (for 15FPS) write down when what needs to be doing what when, and you've got a frame-by-frame guide that should be right on the dot. Not only that, but you can easily see how many frames each movement will need, thus helping with the easing in/out.
Is that clear enough?

Oh god math e_e

And I can't easily see how many frames each movement will need. I don't have a problem syncing the two, I have a problem making the audio line to sync with. Its not really easy to readjust it. Pritch I understand the last half but the part with audacity and diving each second into 15 is throwing me off.

(overthinking this I bet.)

You can just import the audio into a monkeyjam project, that makes it really easy to see how many frames you'll need for each syllable/word or whatever.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

I knowww, I mean when you are actually putting all the audio together before that. How do you know you can move the minifig normal from sound A to sound B, it can't be trial and error. Thats massively dumb and time consuming.
I tried planning it but it comes down to not know how many frames it will take to do what ._.

I think you should:
1 make the audio
2 animate as best as you can
3 adjust the audio so that fits into the animation

VerkkuUkkeliProductions wrote:

I think you should:
1 make the audio
2 animate as best as you can
3 adjust the audio so that fits into the animation

This is the very thing I was told to do was bad. Forcing the audio to fit the animation is a nono.

Surely someone who does this knows what I am talking about.

When in doubt, animate more. it's better to have too much than too little. Also have a pose that your minifig returns to after each arm or head movement.  If necessary, you can also have the same action happen twice, although preferably not back-to-back. If your still having trouble, see if there are any unnecessary words in your audio. That's all I have

But thats improper and sloppy. And I rather do animation first to save the unneeded trouble

silents429 wrote:

Oh god math e_e

And I can't easily see how many frames each movement will need. I don't have a problem syncing the two, I have a problem making the audio line to sync with. Its not really easy to readjust it. Pritch I understand the last half but the part with audacity and diving each second into 15 is throwing me off.

(overthinking this I bet.)

Unfortunately math is the only way to line up animation to audio precisely. Fortunately, it's actually really easy once you understand why you're doing it. Prichard got a little turned around though (or I just don't understand the technique he's using): I think it's easiest to multiply the position in the audio track by 15. When you're doing 15 frames per second, each frame stays on the screen for 1/15th of a second. So the beginning of a one second sound clip is at frame zero (0*15=0), and the end is at frame 15 (1*15=15).

Say you had a line, "Why would you do that?" that took 3.2 seconds, and you wanted to emphasize the word "that?" (suppose "that?" starts 2.75 seconds in and ends at 3.2 seconds). In your animation the word "that?" would start at (2.75 * 15 = 41.25) the 41st frame (because you can't have .25 of a frame, I've just discarded the remainder) and it would end at (3.2 * 15 = 48) the 48th frame. So you know you need to fit whatever motion you want to use to emphasize "that?" in the 7 frames between the 41st and 48th frame in your animation. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. I used to use a tool called WavTRACKER which lets you select parts of your audio and automatically gives the frame equivalent for the selection. It's a pretty simple tool, but can speed things up a fair amount- I'm sure there are other programs that serve the same purpose if you don't want to convert to WAV files or use a non-Windows machine.

Alright. Tomorrow I try this. If all goes well. I shall worship you, and build a temple for you.