Re: Official LEGO Movie

Fun Sucker wrote:

So, just want to put this out there, I'm available for voice acting the next movie, just send me an email.

Me too.

Just send me a Email at "[email protected]" with the script. I will do as long as there are no swear words or musical numbers containing rabid elephants in the script.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Sonjira wrote:

Can you link to these behind the scenes videos?

Here's a nice long interview with some of the team members. They talk a bit about how much they really wanted it to look like stop-motion.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Sonjira wrote:
Fun Sucker wrote:

After watching a few behind the scenes videos, I'm fairly certain the producers looked on BiM for feedback.

So, just want to put this out there, I'm available for voice acting the next movie, just send me an email.

Can you link to these behind the scenes videos? I'm really interested in seeing what happened behind the blocky curtains.

Also, I'M ALSO OPEN FOR VOICE ACTING IN THE NEXT FILM, PHIL AND CHRIS, JUST POST A REPLY OR SHOOT ME A PM OR SHOOT ME IN THE FACE OR WHATEVER. I ACCEPT PAYMENT IN CASH, TERIYAKI CHICKEN, LEGO, OR YOU CAN JUST NOT PAY ME AT ALL, WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU.

I would like Sonjira to narrate the next LEGO movie.  I would also like to be in it.  Thank you.

I will accept my payment in the form of 64 2x1 2 tall dark grey slopes.

Sonjira wrote:
Fun Sucker wrote:

After watching a few behind the scenes videos, I'm fairly certain the producers looked on BiM for feedback.

Can you link to these behind the scenes videos? I'm really interested in seeing what happened behind the blocky curtains.

This.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I don't know what the rules are on posting gifs so if this is a problem I'll take it out.
http://i.imgur.com/2o1vgL6.gif

That wave though...my goodness, it's beautiful. 

The above gif was from this video, it has a bunch of short clips about the animation portion of the movie but they don't really explain much, it seems a bit dumbed down but whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP3LP4Bt-NA

There's also this one that's set up as if it's the minifigs in the movie being interviewed and stuff, behind the scenes from their perspective kind of, it's hilarious!  Heck, it even has Morgan Freeman as Vitruvius imitating a Batman voice and reading the phone book in his "rich molasses" of a voice.
"When you're scraping the bottom of the barrel, you find yourself a Will Ferrell"
Seriously, it's epic.  Watch it. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lipp_BxZpto

7-8 years ago, a random group of Internet users frequent a then-privately-owned Brickfilms.com discussion board fantasizing about making a brickfilm on the silver screen. It was a pipe dream then, comparable to that of a Michael Bay budget film. Who would have thought 8 years later, an actual LEGO movie graces us on the silver screen. It may be a major studio production, but our niche community was the heart of this film (and as easter eggs). While it may not have been made by our hands, I'd say our dreams came true.

A round of applause to the brickfilming community.

My review:

Spoiler (click to read)

The sets were impressive.  As a CG animator, I can only assume they cheated and created hollow meshes for the static background and terrain because that would have killed hundreds of computers to render.  I wouldn't be surprised if the water sequences took the most time to render. In fact, given the low frame rate of the water's movement, I think they compromised frame rate to save rendering time.

Warner Bros clearly gave the writers/directors free reign to poke fun of the studio and its competitors as evident in the following:

• Annoying Green Lantern and Superman wanting nothing to do with him.

• The lack of Marvel franchise characters.

• The Star Wars bit

• Batman's "He's the hero you deserve" line"

The real world scene threw me.  I didn't know what to make of the Krazy Glue, paint thinner, Q-tip, bandaid, Ghost Vitruvius on a string and his chewed-up lollipop stick at first.  In retrospect, showing the real world with the humans made sense but I didn't expect it.  I guess I was expecting a brickfilm, not a plastic construction toy movie, if that makes any sense. Still, it helped tie things up in the LEGO world.

Don't know what kind of sequel could follow this, but I'd assume new characters in someone else's basement collection of LEGO sets.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

So after looking into it a bit, the 5 brickfilm clips in the movie are the only ones used, I'm pretty sure it's not a multiple version situation, which I could have seen them doing. The videos they used seem like really random choices: there's the Brotherhood Studios one, which won the contest associated with the movie, my entry, an entry by pe668, and then two by people who as far as I can tell aren't involved in the brickfilming community in any way (I could be wrong, I just haven't found anything), and I think at least one of them wasn't even a semi-finalist in the competition. The only criteria I can find for which clips they picked is that non of the creations are based off of actual LEGO sets, while many of the entries to the contest were. I might be the only person who cares about this, but I think it's cool that they bothered to pay so much attention to the brickfilming community, and it's kind of hard for me to think about anything else right now.

oh my god

remind you of anything

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Just Kidden wrote:

oh my god

remind you of anything

That happened a while ago, and he apologized for getting everyone all riled up. we've already had this argument on these forums, I don't think it's necessary to bring this up again.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Just Kidden wrote:

oh my god

remind you of anything

He stole all of it. Must've read the forums on here before ranting on the news

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Legocloniac477 wrote:
Just Kidden wrote:

oh my god

remind you of anything

That happened a while ago, and he apologized for getting everyone all riled up. we've already had this argument on these forums, I don't think it's necessary to bring this up again.

i just thought it was funny to see the same argument on fox news, whatever

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

fox news, more like the bias-riddled bulwark of pervasive propaganda for the brain dead
amirite

People will interpret a film how they will, and no one will ever convince anyone else' mind. Please, lets not have another conversation about this here. I think we all agree that it's a great movie, except those who live in Australia, I'm really sorry guys, I don't understand why they would do that.

In other news, with the recent tidal wave of praise for the Lego Movie and the fact that I have a two month wait ahead of me, my eagerness to see this thang is intensifying.

Been scouring various news stories on the internet. Trying to find any and all interviews where the creators specifically mention where they received their inspiration from. And finally found a few...

"-there's only seven points of articulation on a mini-figure, so how do you choreograph a fight sequence with a character who can't wind up to punch someone? We were really inspired by a lot of the short films that people make in their basements and post online where they come up with such clever solutions to those limitations."

"Though the film is not a stop-motion endeavor, Miller and Lord did draw their initial inspirations from fan-made “brick films” that utilize actual LEGOs to build out their settings and characters."

"The Lego Movie is distinct in style, having drawn its inspiration from fan-made, stop-motion Lego clips widely popular and prodigiously available on the Internet. Lord and Miller have made an ode to those projects, pointing to an even greater purpose, namely, to touch everyone through the gateway of their inner child."

I didn't believe it at first when Smeagol told me about where the creators drew their inspiration from. Had to see it for myself. Not going to mention who, but a former brickfilmer once told me a while ago that, "No one notable is ever going to make a point to watch our films." Pretty much believed what was said to me. And, I was fine with this just being a fun hobby and as a bonus, making others smile.

The thing that is absolutely mind blowing to me is how far of a reach our films have and how much of an impact that they've had on people. Never once thinking that someone out there in internetland would be inspired by us. Also, taking that inspiration to this wave making level...a full length feature film.

If any member of the crew from "The Lego Movie" is indeed reading this...
I just want to say....mind officially blown....and thank you ever so much.

(Hopefully, I'll shake your hand in person someday at a Lego Convention or even Comic Con.)

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Lechnology wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

As a CG animator, I can only assume they cheated and created hollow meshes for the static background and terrain because that would have killed hundreds of computers to render.

Yep, that's exactly what they said in the interview I linked above. I also found it funny that they used LEGO Digital Designer to make what was essentially their concept art.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

This just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. mini/love I'm proud to be apart of this community!

Oh, and I'll probably post a review of the film once I have the time.

- PlainBrick
Formerly MrLegoProductions
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/mrlego15/bg67_zps34f3201a.png
Youtube - My Latest Video

I really need to see this film.

If the makers of the LEGO Movie really were inspired by brickfilms and maybe even visited BiM, what if they made an account here and directly communicated with us?  That would be so awesome.

Either way, this film really seems to have raised the profile of Brickfilming, which is fantastic.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (February 11, 2014 (08:45am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

If the makers of the LEGO Movie really were inspired by brickfilms and maybe even visited BiM, what if they made an account here and directly communicated with us?  That would be so awesome.

mini/jaw Oh my god, that would be amazing.

What if a brickfilmer who's only had an account here for roughly two and a half years (the rough production time of The LEGO Movie) is actually one of the directors? And they'd made a few films here to sell their cover? And they were a respected part of the community.

Could YOU be Phil Lord? Is PlainBrick Productions actually Chris Miller?

Well PlainBrick, are you?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein