Re: The Super Official BiM Upcoming Movie Updates and Discussion Thread

So, guys, there's going to be a Minecraft movie, apparently.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts?

'Please no'.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Oh my. No, no, no.

I wonder what kind of plot they could actually fit in a Minecraft world....

If it's done well, I can't wait.  I don't really have an opinion now since I don't know anything yet.

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

Oh my. No, no, no.

I wonder what kind of plot they could actually fit in a Minecraft world....

I kind of thought the same when I heard there was going to be a LEGO movie (how wrong I was) but I think translating Minecraft from game to film would be even harder. The appeal of the game is the world-building, which you can't get in a film in the same way.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Minecraft doesn't really have a story, which would give them a chance to make up a new one to base around it, also since there isn't already a story, then there isn't one for them to mess up.

I'd imagine it would start out with Steve finding himself lost in the wilderness and completely alone trying to survive with all of the nasty monsters, but then somehow he goes off on a quest to fight the dragon.

A guy trying to survive alone in a surreal fantasy world could be pretty interesting, but who knows, anything could happen.  I'm mostly curious about what it is they are going to do, and how ever they are even going to make it work.  It could be miserable, but it still might be good.  Of course we all know almost nothing about it.

Seeing more realistic version of the Nether could be really cool.

I hope C418 does the music.

A Minecraft movie? Time to time travel again.
I find this rather, well, weird. Movie adaptations of video games never are successful, sure look at the Halo film being produced in 2006, to be directed by Peter Jackson. It flopped. Wasn't filmed, time constraints, budget and Microsoft. Although there is a Xbox one exclusive series this year...
Anyway: this feels like Mojang are in desperate need of more money. Minecraft is a bland no story yet addictive game. I still question the fact wether or not this is a success, but all I'm saying is that critics will bd having their negativity word-pads and pens, to write a poorish review of this upcoming film.

Link to said Minecraft movie?  Because I don't know if you're talking about Brandon Laatsch's (of RocketJump and FreddieW fame) Kickstarter which got cancelled or this.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

Lechnology wrote:

Link to said Minecraft movie?  Because I don't know if you're talking about Brandon Laatsch's (of RocketJump and FreddieW fame) Kickstarter which got cancelled or this.

Notch posted the news on Twitter I think.

So, guys, there's going to be a Minecraft movie, apparently.
What are your thoughts?

When I first saw this, I was like "Ewwwww, a Minecraft movie??"

But now, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I'm like "Ewwwww, a Minecraft movie??"

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

It's also the reason Mojang shut down Brandon Laatsch's planned MineCraft fan film, which honestly probably would have been better, so that's annoying. I honestly can't see how a big studio can possibly make a good MineCraft film.

I've never played Minecraft (omg) but depending on director & script, it's possible.
The LEGO Movie was based off of Lego bricks, which appeal because of creativity, and that seemed quite a challenge to film. (I'm pretty sure it did well though.)
Also don't people make Minecraft machinimas?

The game's also ripe because it DOESN'T have an actual story.
Can't say I really care though because I'm not a fan of MineCraft. (Although I can't say I'm not until I actually try it.)

My life goes by 24fps.
Another free stopmotion program? Possibly! View here! http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/po … 6/#p274396

Slurping Animations wrote:

this feels like Mojang are in desperate need of more money.

Are you sure?  Minecraft seems ridiculously successful, especially for an independent game.  According to to Minecraft site, 14,457,199 people have bought the the game.  I refreshed a few seconds later, and that number became even bigger.
I highly doubt that they are suffering from financial troubles.

Last edited by Squid (March 7, 2014 (09:54am))

Hmm, the greed of wealth, maybe? The amount of money that is generated is ridiculous. Maybe they want minecraft to be more mainstream? I find that impossible though, as most game stores sell the minecraft disk edition, action figures and poorly printed shirts.

Or, y'know, maybe someone presented a compelling pitch and they wanted to see it made.

Eh, what do I know?

Squid wrote:
Slurping Animations wrote:

this feels like Mojang are in desperate need of more money.

Are you sure?  Minecraft seems ridiculously successful, especially for an independent game.  According to to Minecraft site, 14,457,199 people have bought the the game.  I refreshed a few seconds later, and that number became even bigger.
I highly doubt that they are suffering from financial troubles.

And that's just the PC/Mac version. When you count XBOX, PS4, and mobile additions, they've sold over 35 million copies. I think Mojang is doing fine. mini/tongue

backyardlegos wrote:

And that's just the PC/Mac version. When you count XBOX, PS4, and mobile additions, they've sold over 35 million copies. I think Mojang is doing fine. mini/tongue

Not to mention all of the merchandise.

In case you guys hadn't heard yet...

I think it's about time they finally came up with a good idea for a sequel to The Incredibles, but I'm very much despising the idea of a third Cars movie. Looking back at the "success" of Cars 2, you'd think that a brilliant studio such as Pixar would think twice about making yet another movie. What are your thoughts?

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Cars 2 was definitely Pixar's weakest film, but they couldn't have picked a better movie for a sequel than The Incredibles.

Mickey, you may have been being sarcastic when you referred to Cars 2 as a success, but the Cars franchise remains the most profitable IP Pixar has created. Don't get me wrong - I have little desire for any further installments in the series, but the Walt Disney Corporation knows business.

Pixar's current spate of sequels is a bit disheartening, but I am looking forward to their original films in development.